Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is MSU issuing a statement on the George Floyd Case?

vCash
    Newsmax is almost as fraudulent as fox news. What a joke of an article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    They quote the liberal attorney's thoughts - it is a direct interview. It is not hearsay or 3rd party interpretation like other channels we all know.

vCash
    I didn't listen/watch any of the trial, so I have no idea if the jury was correct. I do know this - you'd have to be damn brave to say not guilty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    A liberal attorney thinks the verdict was pressured by politics. He has no confidence that this verdict was produced by due process and the rule of law. See below for his interview.

Legal scholar Alan Dershowitz said he was doubtful that the Derek Chauvin guilty verdict was a product of due process and the rule of law. Instead, he pronounced the verdict the result of "outside influences."

''I have no real confidence that this verdict, which may be correct in some ways, but I have no confidence that this verdict was produced by due process and the rule of law, rather than the influence of the crowd," Dershowitz said on Tuesday?s edition of ''Spicer & Co.'' on Newsmax TV.

The ''outside influences of Al Sharpton and Maxine Waters,'' he said, was like the ''sword of Damocles hanging over the jury,'' and that they were ''basically saying [indirectly to the jury] if you don't convict on the murder charge and all the charges, the cities will burn, the country will be destroyed.''

Prior to Tuesday's guilty verdict in the Chauvin case, Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., said at a demonstration in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, ''If nothing does not happen, then we know that we?ve got to not only stay in the street, but we?ve got to fight for justice.''

She added: ''We?ve got to get more active. We?ve got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business,'' as the Los Angeles Times reported.

At a press conference in Minneapolis on Monday, the Rev. Al Sharpton, a civil rights figure who has been conferring with the Floyd family, called George Floyd's death "a lynching by knee." He added, "America is on trial," said CNN.

Dershowitz previously told Newsmax TV that recent comments made by Waters concerning the Chauvin trial were equivalent to ''putting not only a thumb but an elbow on the scales of justice.''

On Tuesday, Dershowitz said their ''threats and intimidation ? seeped into the jury room,'' and ''the judge made a terrible mistake by not sequestering the jury so the judge himself said this case may be reversed on appeal.''

Jurors must have feared for their lives while deliberating the verdict, Dershowitz said.

''The fears, the threats ? every juror in that room knew about these threats and when they sit, deliberate, they have to be saying to themselves, consciously or unconsciously, 'If I render a verdict other than a murder verdict, what will the consequences be for me, my family, my friends, my business.' That should never, ever be allowed to seep into a jury room,'' he emphasized.

''I can criticize Waters, I can criticize Sharpton," he said. "These folks took what they did right out of the playbook of the Deep South in the 1920s when prominent public officials would whoop up the crowds in front of the courthouse, demanding conviction of Black people or acquittal of white people.

''Jurors should not be intimidated or influenced by what goes on outside the courtroom,'' Dershowitz said.
    The same concept can be said due most people give police the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people associate policemen and patriotism together. There is a difference between the two and it's great to see a separation of the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I didn't listen/watch any of the trial, so I have no idea if the jury was correct. I do know this - you'd have to be damn brave to say not guilty.
    Or blind

vCash
    Releasing a statement was the correct thing to do.

vCash
    I'm assuming Chauvin is guilty. He had a trial and the jurors spoke. So be it.

My point is that it is Keenum's responsibility to run Mississippi State University. Keenum doesn't live in Minnesota, he doesn't run the police force in Minnesota, he wasn't on the jury in Minnesota. So he really doesn't have a dog in the hunt. But in the time he dealt with the press release, he could have instead answered several emails I sent him directly concerning something about Mississippi State University.

If a Boeing 747 crashes, I would assume Boeing would issue a statement, and I assume the airline would issue a statement, and I assume the National Transportation and Safety Board would issue as statement. But I don't know why the local Co-Op in Waynesboro, Mississippi would issue a statement about a Boeing 747 crashing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post

My point is that it is Keenum's responsibility to run Mississippi State University. Keenum doesn't live in Minnesota, he doesn't run the police force in Minnesota, he wasn't on the jury in Minnesota. So he really doesn't have a dog in the hunt. But in the time he dealt with the press release, he could have instead answered several emails I sent him directly concerning something about Mississippi State University.

If a Boeing 747 crashes, I would assume Boeing would issue a statement, and I assume the airline would issue a statement, and I assume the National Transportation and Safety Board would issue as statement. But I don't know why the local Co-Op in Waynesboro, Mississippi would issue a statement about a Boeing 747 crashing.

This^^^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Or blind
    Now I do think the correct conviction should've been murder 3, not murder 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    You must not know who Alan Dershowitz is. He is an actual liberal (as in believes in due process, free speech, minority rights, etc.). I don't know anything about Newsmax, but that's not surprising that Dershowitz would make those statements.

Incidentally, he's absolutely correct. Based on the video, it looks likely that Chauvin was guilty of at least manslaughter (just because somebody is likely or even surely dying from something else, doesn't mean you're off the hook for contributing or accelerating it), but this was a show trial. Venue should have been changed to begin with. I don't really believe in sequestering jurors, but by normal standards, they should have been sequestered. IN a better society, Maxine Waters would be disqualified from public office, but that's not anything new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Mississippi state university did the right thing by making a statement. The university is a learning institution not a sports complex complex. There's a difference between this fantasy board of sports and real life issues occurring in the world.
    No, they didn't, just from PR perspective. It's not MSU's job to jump in on every controversy they're not a part of. Has Keenum made a statement about the forced labor and potential genocide of Uighurs? I can't find it, which makes me think Keenum doesn't care about mistreatment of them because they are Muslim? Mississippi State has as much to do with Uighurs in China as George Floyd in Minnesota. We have a lot of Asian students at Mississippi State. Has Keenum made a statement about them being discriminated against in college admissions? That's at least relevant to MSU (although MSU likely doesn't have much influence over admission standards at top flight universities). Does Keenum support discrimination against Asians? Seems like he must. Unless we just have shitty, shitty, PR advisors.

Like the kind that would advise you to reignite a non-controversy by issuing a statement after it has already died down.

vCash
    I am the son of a law enforcement officer of over 30 years in MS and former WWII(1942-1945) armored infantry & Korean Conflict. He fought hand to hand across Africa, Italy, southern France, Belgium, into Alps and crossed Rhine river with Patton. He was the first man to open the gates of Dachau concentration camp and a nearby internment camp for POW's. I am as patriotic as it comes and bleed red, white and blue and I say:

George Floyd's murderer was found guilty and the University made a statement. I think it's good because it needs to be made clear that we have a problem.

I believe that if there had been no video evidence, not one thing would have been done. Even after the video, we have people defending this murderer, which I find sickening.

We cannot begin to figure out a solution until enough of us acknowledge that we have a real problem.

I say, this is a problem that cannot be solved as long we remain divided along Conservative and Liberal lines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post

He is speaking to the student body more than anyone. A student body that made it pretty clear this was an issue that was important to them. It was a responsible "we listen to our students concerns" moment and releasing a statement is the right thing to do. Us agreeing or disagreeing with it is immaterial.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    What Sharpton and Waters did was give Chauvin some pretty solid footing for an appeal, when he had none otherwise. They are idiots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    I am the son of a law enforcement officer of over 30 years in MS and former WWII(1942-1945) armored infantry & Korean Conflict. He fought hand to hand across Africa, Italy, southern France, Belgium, into Alps and crossed Rhine river with Patton. He was the first man to open the gates of Dachau concentration camp and a nearby internment camp for POW's. I am as patriotic as it comes and bleed red, white and blue and I say:

George Floyd's murderer was found guilty and the University made a statement. I think it's good because it needs to be made clear that we have a problem.

I believe that if there had been no video evidence, not one thing would have been done. Even after the video, we have people defending this murderer, which I find sickening.

We cannot begin to figure out a solution until enough of us acknowledge that we have a real problem.

I say, this is a problem that cannot be solved as long we remain divided along Conservative and Liberal lines.
    Then the statement should have been about the problem represented by this case-excessive force by police resulting in murder. That was the problem addressed by the jury in its verdict. Instead, the statement was about the "difficult issue" of racism, when keenum (or us) has no idea if racism motivated chauvin. It could have, but there was no evidence presented of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    You must not know who Alan Dershowitz is. He is an actual liberal (as in believes in due process, free speech, minority rights, etc.). I don't know anything about Newsmax, but that's not surprising that Dershowitz would make those statements.

Incidentally, he's absolutely correct. Based on the video, it looks likely that Chauvin was guilty of at least manslaughter (just because somebody is likely or even surely dying from something else, doesn't mean you're off the hook for contributing or accelerating it), but this was a show trial. Venue should have been changed to begin with. I don't really believe in sequestering jurors, but by normal standards, they should have been sequestered. IN a better society, Maxine Waters would be disqualified from public office, but that's not anything new.
    Don't forget about the "journalist" caught taking pictures in the courtroom. Add all of the other public figures and officials including our president making suggestive statements and there's an outside shot at this being reversed. Also I'm sure BLM posturing and threatening to burn the city down didn't help either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post

ETA: actually responded to something you didn't say, but will leave it here b/c I'm too lazy to delete and move it.

ETA II: You are correct that treating it as a conservative/liberal issue makes it difficult to approach reasonably (and doesn't even make sense; if it were going to be conservative/liberal, conservatives should be arguing for police accountability and liberals for more state power); but I think treating it as a race issue rather than a police accountability (particularly dealing with lower socioeconomic status and therefore politically powerless people) helps ensure nothing productive can be done because people rightly recognize it's not really a race issue

We can't figure out a solution while people are misidentifying a problem. We have a problem with holding police accountable. It is actually a difficult problem to draw the line between acknowledging that police officers cannot be perfect in making split second decisions and should not be held criminally liable for every mistake but also ensuring that they are held to a high standard. But we do an awful job of it in general ("we", meaning lots of different jurisdictions around the United States, which makes it harder to fix because you really need to fix it at best state by state, but also really LEO agency by LEO agency).

But you seem to just be assuming that race is what drives it. Explain to me how race allowed this police officer to walk away with a pension after shooting an unarmed person begging for his life and following their commands? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/u...o-arizona.html

Then explain how you know racism is what drove the treatment of George Floyd, as opposed to just unfortunately typical relationships and power dynamics between LEOs and drug addicts, homeless, and just lower socioeconomic status persons.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 04-21-2021 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    Uh, Dershowitz is one of the best, if not the best, legal minds in this country. Just for shits and giggles, he's also a huge liberal. You don't watch much news do you?
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    He is speaking to the student body more than anyone. A student body that made it pretty clear this was an issue that was important to them. It was a responsible "we listen to our students concerns" moment and releasing a statement is the right thing to do. Us agreeing or disagreeing with it is immaterial.
    Fair point. But the statement should address what the facts revealed-excessive force resulting in death. Keenum's statement made it 100% a race issue.

vCash
    IMO Chauvin murdered Floyd. But what in the hell did race have to do with it?