Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is MSU issuing a statement on the George Floyd Case?

vCash
    Was George Floyd's murder unnecessary, absolutely but so was Tim Timpa's. Why wasn't any of this on the liberal news outlets?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-ti...-man-who-died/
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    He is speaking to the student body more than anyone. A student body that made it pretty clear this was an issue that was important to them. It was a responsible "we listen to our students concerns" moment and releasing a statement is the right thing to do. Us agreeing or disagreeing with it is immaterial.
    Aside from Keenum making it a race issue without saying why he thought Chauvin was motivated by racism, it's also a losing proposition to address things just because an issue is important to the student body (really more likely a vocal part of the student body). It's pretty clear that on college campuses in general, the most vocal students don't need encouragement to work themselves into a low grade mental illness over issues in the news. If they are concerned about an issue, they should actually do work to try to improve it beyond just having a public meltdown or a meltdown on social media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    He is speaking to the student body more than anyone. A student body that made it pretty clear this was an issue that was important to them. It was a responsible "we listen to our students concerns" moment and releasing a statement is the right thing to do. Us agreeing or disagreeing with it is immaterial.
    I guess this is where we disagree. I don't think a university should be everything to everyone. I think it is there to educate. If a student has concerns over a class, then Keenum should listen. But if a student has an issue related to something that is none of the university's business, then I would have no problem with Keenum saying "that is not under my jurisdiction". That's my personal opinion.

Student: "I'm having a problem with the heat in my dorm room"
    Keenum: "Tell me more so I can handle it"
    Student: "I bought a battery for my car at AutoZone in Columbus and they gave me the wrong one"
    Keenum: "You will need to take that up with Autozone"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Was George Floyd's murder unnecessary, absolutely but so was Tim Timpa's. Why wasn't any of this on the liberal news outlets?

You ask as you link to an article about the case from a "liberal news outlet"

vCash
    Why do people worry about this kind of stuff? I'd say people worry about too much stupid stuff these days. I don't even keep up with statements from the school. Never saw it until this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I guess this is where we disagree. I don't think a university should be everything to everyone. I think it is there to educate. If a student has concerns over a class, then Keenum should listen. But if a student has an issue related to something that is none of the university's business, then I would have no problem with Keenum saying "that is not under my jurisdiction". That's my personal opinion.
    Speculating here, but Keenum may have been throwing up a rather muted defense of reasoned debate on a college campus. It's no secret that the woke/CRT crowd (and most talking-head liberals) are very interested in stamping out any and all debate or any expression of opinion that differs from their group think. They think of college campuses are their fortresses of solitude rather than marketplaces of ideas. Maybe Keenum is trying to plant a very short, limp, flag when he says "Discussing difficult subjects in an arena of mutual respect with an eye toward seeking constructive solutions . . ."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Why do people worry about this kind of stuff? I'd say people worry about too much stupid stuff these days. I don't even keep up with statements from the school. Never saw it until this thread.
    Because we want MSU to be competent. This may not blow up and hurt us, but it was an unnecessary risk. My bigger issue is that after we clearly showed we were incompetent at PR with Leach's tweet, we didn't go out and get some help. Keep doing stupid shit and we are going to be the next Mizzou.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Because we want MSU to be competent. This may not blow up and hurt us, but it was an unnecessary risk. My bigger issue is that after we clearly showed we were incompetent at PR with Leach's tweet, we didn't go out and get some help. Keep doing stupid shit and we are going to be the next Mizzou.
    There was nothing in that to blow up. I didn't care for the sin comment because you bring religion into it, but other than that, I don't see the issue unless you're a far right/left nut job.

vCash

It should have been. I am not in the business of making excuses for the liberal media. I think all media has become agenda, clicks and ratings driven rather than honest reporting no matter the slant they chose.

We have many issues, I believe a lot of it stems from racism and many do not. You bring an example. I see it and go yes, Police get desensitized just like the rest of us and they can be callous to everyone. I can show you many examples that very thing. I also have experienced and seen racism also be a problem but will you read them with an open mind.

People need to discuss the merits without anger in order to come up with proper solution. See Leach's speech to the Ole Miss law school. He made a dang good point about that very topic. That speech is worth watching just for that point and may be something I need to think about more than you but it's a point taken to heart by me.

vCash

Pretty obvious. One was white, the other black. If Timpa had been black, I'm sure you would see the same type of reaction we had for the Chauvin trial. Such is the way of politics in America today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Or Nancy's "thanks for dying" statement. I mean, Holy. Shit...people just need to say "Thank you to the American justice system" and call it day.
    That was brutal...talk about needing PR help. Of course it won?t hurt her with her constituents

vCash
    City folk problems.

vCash
    When Kingston Frazier was kidnapped at the Kroger on I-55 in Jackson, then killed and left in Gluckstadt, did the president of the University of Oregon release a statement? And why would he?

To show you the stupidity, Jackson's Mayor Lumumba released a statement about the George Floyd verdict. However, Mayor Lumumba did not release a statement to notify the people in Jackson of all of the issues with the water system, the EPA findings, the dangers of the water, etc. And that is directly under his responsibility and jurisdiction. That is akin to our left tackle knowing what the leftfielder should do on a flyball to short rightfield when there are runners on first and second, and yet not knowing who to block on a run play against a 4-man front.

In my opinion, worry about your responsibilities first, before you worry about something that is none of your business and you have no jurisdiction over. We pay Keenum to run our university. We don't pay him to run the Minneapolis Police Department or judicial system.