Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some SUPER baseball thoughts

vCash

Some SUPER baseball thoughts

Now that my heart rate has come down, I thought I'd write down some level-headed thoughts about this weekend.

1.) LOL, 17 YOU OM. 17 YOU YANCY PORTER. We literally OWN your asses. 16 out of 19 and 5 straight series wins. That's complete dominance. OM has a very good baseball team. They probably have more talented hitters. But they ain't got grit like our guys do. They don't have that inexplicable winning instinct that we have. And some of our fans (me being the absolute main one) forget that sometimes. Grit beats talent more than times than not. And it did again this weekend.

2.) MacLeod had a good game Friday night. Bednar didn't on Saturday. Fristoe was okay today. If you would've told me one of those three was going to get lit up, I would've said Mac or maybe Fristoe. I'm gonna chalk Bednar getting touched as a rarity, and hope he does better next time. Harding looked good except when he didn't today. I still like him as the first option out of the pen after Fristoe. He's a completely different pitcher that works at a completely different pace, and that can be challenging to adjust to. Preston Johnson looked great Friday night. Brandon Smith looked good today. Stinnett scares the shit out of me but the stuff is there. But the most impressive pitcher this weekend was once again...

3.) Landon f'ing Sims. So glad we get this dude one more year. More important than his electric stuff is his leadership. Today when Forsythe botched the ball in the 9th, he immediately looked at him and said "It's all good, we're fine." And then proceeded to get the next guy. And that's not the first time he's done that this year. Just an unbelievable weapon to have.

4.) Okay, now the offense. Friday we only had 5 runs, but they were all very loud. TA and KJ led the way in that game, which is what you have come to expect from those guys. Saturday was completely awful, but you've got to tip your cap to Nikhazy. Dude was a warrior. Still should've gotten more than one hit though. Today was just a series of big, timely hits. We let them off the hook in the first, and honestly, we made McDaniel look better than he was. But then Bianco decided to be stupid and throw a freshman out there, and we made him pay. The hitting MVP from today imo is Logan Tanner. He got the big inning going with a one out single, and then he smashed one off the wall his next time up. TA proved he's the leader of this team with his bases loaded triple. There was no doubt he was going to deliver there. And then how about Scotty Dubrule? The dude has done nothing but hit in his career, so maybe he's finally getting adjusted to SEC pitching. If he and Hatcher (Lord willing) get going, then this offense can actually be...kinda good. Hancock is slumping. He's hitting the ball, but they've just been weak fly balls to left. He needs to do the opposite of Hatcher and starting pulling the ball some. Hatcher is the one that needs to think away. Oh, and Rowdy had a big game today as well. Safe to say he's back.

5.) RPI is up to #8. Today was huge for our chances to host a super regional. Just need to win one next week at Vandy. Anything more than that is gravy. And then it's smooth(er) sailing to the end. What a fun weekend. GTHOM.

vCash
    Good stuff, KO.

Agreed on Bednar. They were squaring him up from the jump, though. He was just never comfortable in that game.

vCash
    RPI should be #7. Because nobody believes Fairfield should be in the top 5. They are 20-0 playing poor teams. Twelve of their wins were 7 inning games.

I like the way Sims was used. Two high leverage appearances. Many wanted him to go two innings today, but I liked bringing in Brandon Smith for the 8th inning. Brandon needed the work and the pressure.

We don’t want to wear out Sims or our starters. It’s a long season. At some point in June we will have to bring in Smith, Stinnett, Johnson, Simmons, Patrick, Tepper, or Tullar. They will need to get a big out or pitch a big inning. We need them in these games in April and May feeling the pressure. It’s a long season and we have big goals. Don’t wear out your best pitchers, and develop the others.

We need to get Dubrule and Hatcher on track. Skinner needs work at the plate. We need to get some time for Leggett and Clark and Cumbest.

Let’s keep working, improving, developing, and grinding. Don’t quit. I hate when people post “ballgame” in a 4-2 game. Don’t quit. Don’t ever quit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    RPI should be #7. Because nobody believes Fairfield should be in the top 5. They are 20-0 playing poor teams. Twelve of their wins were 7 inning games.

I like the way Sims was used. Two high leverage appearances. Many wanted him to go two innings today, but I liked bringing in Brandon Smith for the 8th inning. Brandon needed the work and the pressure.

We don’t want to wear out Sims or our starters. It’s a long season. At some point in June we will have to bring in Smith, Stinnett, Johnson, Simmons, Patrick, Tepper, or Tullar. They will need to get a big out or pitch a big inning. We need them in these games in April and May feeling the pressure. It’s a long season and we have big goals. Don’t wear out your best pitchers, and develop the others.

We need to get Dubrule and Hatcher on track. Skinner needs work at the plate. We need to get some time for Leggett and Clark and Cumbest.

Let’s keep working, improving, developing, and grinding. Don’t quit. I hate when people post “ballgame” in a 4-2 game. Don’t quit. Don’t ever quit.
    I also liked Smith in the 8th holding Sims for 9th. Baseball can turn on a dime. Heck ArkSt. scored what 7 in 9th last week. Even when fans lack confidence this team does not. Hats off to them.

are MSU the baseball school of Mississippi. 16-3

vCash
    It says a lot about the mindset of a team when you can come back out after getting embarrassed at the plate the day before to win like we did today, it also says a lot of the coaching too getting the guys right for a game like that.

I think Fristoe has hit a wall, which is to be expected considering he is a freshman. I do not know if we need to start Harding on Sundays but I would not be against it, Fristoe has shown that he can compete but it is a long season and he didn't play his senior year due to COVID so this is the most action he has seen in a while. If he could give us 4 innings on Sunday and let the bullpen work I think the coaches will be satisfied but I do wonder if the thoughts are there to do something different on Sundays.

vCash
    Fristoe is fine. He did a freshman thing today and lost it after a walk and a hit. Keep running him out there on Sunday. He has talent and he needs to grow up for Friday's next year. He pitches every 7 days- he hasnt hit any ****ing wall
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    . Skinner needs work at the plate.
    He needs to start pounding the ball into the ground to take advantage of his speed. He is hitting too many cans of corn to the outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    He needs to start pounding the ball into the ground to take advantage of his speed. He is hitting too many cans of corn to the outfield.
    THIS. Hell, half of Mangum's hits were infield ground balls he beat out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Fristoe is fine. He did a freshman thing today and lost it after a walk and a hit. Keep running him out there on Sunday. He has talent and he needs to grow up for Friday's next year. He pitches every 7 days- he hasnt hit any ****ing wall
    I think all 3 of our starters were a little keyed up this weekend. Keep in mind they are 2 sophomores and a freshman. None of them had ever pitched in front of crowds like this weekend. I think they all will learn from it.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I agree it’s about getting experience each time out. He has talent, he’s learning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think all 3 of our starters were a little keyed up this weekend. Keep in mind they are 2 sophomores and a freshman. None of them had ever pitched in front of crowds like this weekend. I think they all will learn from it.
    I agree with that 100%. Fristoe was too amped alot and choked pitches time after time. He needs to grow up and get experience.

vCash
    Glad we got to see Sims twice this weekend.

Will be glad when C. Smith can pitch on the weekends.

Need to just win 1 against Vandy...

vCash
    This. There ain't nothing like mound time for a pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Glad we got to see Sims twice this weekend.

Will be glad when C. Smith can pitch on the weekends.

Need to just win 1 against Vandy...
    It’s coming. He dressed out this weekend.

vCash
    I agree. Now if we were throwing him 110 pitches every Sunday I might think differently and might think he was hitting a wall. But his load has been very manageable. He just needs to continue to mature and develop.

vCash
    Your kid Cade will make an impact down the stretch Basedog. He just needs work. Talent works itself out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    It’s coming. He dressed out this weekend.
    That's awesome! We ready to see more of him!

vCash
    Your kid Cade will make an impact down the stretch Basedog. He just needs work. Talent works itself out.
    Yes, no big rush on him this year. I think what he needs to work on is his command right now. He is pretty much healthy, but being out so long has him a little behind. I’ve said it a lot about him, he is a strike thrower and he is going to compete

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That's awesome! We ready to see more of him!
    He warmed in the pen yesterday but I was glad they didn’t bring him in. Just me. Maybe he gets some work again mid week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    He warmed in the pen yesterday but I was glad they didn’t bring him in. Just me. Maybe he gets some work again mid week.
    He's got a bright future.