Thread: Landon Sims

vCash

Landon Sims

What am I missing with him? To only use our most electric pitcher two innings a week is really confusing to me. I'm no baseball expert so I'm curious. Does he run out of gas quickly? Previous injury? Why don't we atleast use him as a traditional closer? It's as mind boggling as Hatcher still starting. It definitely doesn't help his stock either.

vCash
    Brian Hadad had a great interview with Foxhall earlier this week. Basically the coaches have made a promise to all pitchers and their families that they will leave MState with the ability to have a long career.

He stated that he sees other teams trotting out their closer two and three times a weekend and it just boggles his mind. He also said when you have the luxury of our arms why would choose to potentially tax someone when you don’t have to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    What am I missing with him? To only use our most electric pitcher two innings a week is really confusing to me. I'm no baseball expert so I'm curious. Does he run out of gas quickly? Previous injury? Why don't we atleast use him as a traditional closer? It's as mind boggling as Hatcher still starting. It definitely doesn't help his stock either.
    I don’t know how you get that? If anything his low mileage on an electric arm would help it even more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Brian Hadad had a great interview with Foxhall earlier this week. Basically the coaches have made a promise to all pitchers and their families that they will leave MState with the ability to have a long career.

He stated that he sees other teams trotting out their closer two and three times a weekend and it just boggles his mind. He also said when you have the luxury of our arms why would choose to potentially tax someone when you don?t have to.
    That seems like a reasonable approach to attracting top talent.

On a similar note. Who would not want to play at the new stadium with that crowd? It was incredible to see on tv last night. If you are a top player who wants the college experience for a couple of years I think you come to MSU after seeing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

He stated that he sees other teams trotting out their closer two and three times a weekend and it just boggles his mind. He also said when you have the luxury of our arms why would choose to potentially tax someone when you don?t have to.
    Thanks for this response. I had not heard that interview and that makes sense to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I don’t know how you get that? If anything his low mileage on an electric arm would help it even more.
    Smaller sample size compared to others

vCash
    He can come back and throw on sunday for sure. We swept the last two series without having to use him twice....

vCash
    He doesn't run out of gas that quickly. In the 1st game this season vs Texas, he was touching 96s in his 4th inning.

He should have a chance to start next year & log more innings
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    That seems like a reasonable approach to attracting top talent.

On a similar note. Who would not want to play at the new stadium with that crowd? It was incredible to see on tv last night. If you are a top player who wants the college experience for a couple of years I think you come to MSU after seeing that.
    It's a great way to attract top talent IF you're giving those players a chance to start going into their draft year.

Starting vs relieving = a two round swing in your draft stock.

I see no reason Sims can't start. He's got the best fastball command on our pitching staff, commands his slider, & has a sound delivery. Yes, he throws with a ton of intent & attitude, but does Max Scherzer, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, & Chris Sale. As long as the delivery works & he's athletic enough to pull it off, there's no reason he can't do it.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 04-17-2021 at 08:12 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He can come back and throw on sunday for sure. We swept the last two series without having to use him twice....
    Agreed. Sims can pitch Sunday. But if the Sunday game isn’t close, we won’t need him.

I do think the plan is to enter the regionals ready to go. You want McLeod, Bednar, etc. sharp, but not overworked and wearing out. And we need to get some of the young bullpen arms some innings. So I think they are spreading the innings around so that our top 6 aren’t worn out, and our bottom 6 have gotten some work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Agreed. Sims can pitch Sunday. But if the Sunday game isn’t close, we won’t need him.

I do think the plan is to enter the regionals ready to go. You want McLeod, Bednar, etc. sharp, but not overworked and wearing out. And we need to get some of the young bullpen arms some innings. So I think they are spreading the innings around so that our top 6 aren’t worn out, and our bottom 6 have gotten some work.
    +1 Having out staff fresh down the stretch will pay off. Who knows, maybe in a regional or CWS game we may need someone like Sims to come in and pitch several innings. Plus getting so many young arms some innings will pay off in the future games and years. Smart of the way our coaches are saving arms right now, fact is they aren't needed much to be extended right now, look at our record.

vCash
    Smaller sample size compared to others
    Bull, MLB teams will not move him down the boards for us only using him once every SEC series and dominating. Not only that but only our starters have more innings than Sims. He is logging way more than enough innings and again the lack of miles on his arm will make him more attractive.

vCash
    Bull, MLB teams will not move him down the boards for us only using him once every SEC series and dominating. Not only that but only our starters have more innings than Sims. He is logging way more than enough innings and again the lack of miles on his arm will make him more attractive.
    Man you got this! LOL.

vCash
    In my original post, I asked as a question. I'm no expert. Should have added a ? At the end of that response as well. I'm not stating anything. Just curious and appreciate the discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    This has been my thought but didn't know if this was part of the plan or not

vCash
    Also, my apologies to Charlie Winfield and Bart Gregory.

They were who did the interview, not Brian Hadad

vCash
    He'll see more work when we get in post season. He could throw on Friday two innings and one on Sunday anyway but I get it. We'll play Hatcher though.

vCash
    Here is the interview for those interested. If you are not listening to Bart and Charlie’s podcast, they do an awesome job.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...d/id1494796677

vCash
    In my original post, I asked as a question. I'm no expert. Should have added a ? At the end of that response as well. I'm not stating anything. Just curious and appreciate the discussion.
    No worries. He is a high ceiling and high leverage arm. He will be a top pen draft arm as it stands today.