Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next years pitching rotation

vCash
    with the transfer portal open now don't be surprised if we pull in some aces from other teams...just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    OK so I don't keep up with MLB draft rules.

So let me get this straight. A kid can go straight out of high school to MLB but a soph in college can't? OK that makes lots of sense.
    You either go straight out of HS or if you go to college- you have to go for 3 years or until you're 21. That should the rule for all sports
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    with the transfer portal open now don't be surprised if we pull in some aces from other teams...just saying.
    Many mid major programs will become minor league clubs for the bigger schools. We should keep an eye on Midwest and Northeast kids.

Tuition is so high for them, coming to MSU is a big cost savings. Plus better baseball.

vCash
    Wonder if we could talk that Tulane Friday night guy into coming. We could supply plenty of pine tar***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Many mid major programs will become minor league clubs for the bigger schools. We should keep an eye on Midwest and Northeast kids.

Tuition is so high for them, coming to MSU is a big cost savings. Plus better baseball.
    College and JUCO baseball is definitely going to benefit from the reduction in the draft and in MiL teams. Hate it for some of those cities that lost long time clubs - but we may be about to see the best era of college baseball talent since MLB began the draft.
    Now, we just have to get the P5 to break away and allow 35 scholarships and we are set.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    College and JUCO baseball is definitely going to benefit from the reduction in the draft and in MiL teams. Hate it for some of those cities that lost long time clubs - but we may be about to see the best era of college baseball talent since MLB began the draft.
    Now, we just have to get the P5 to break away and allow 35 scholarships and we are set.
    Heck even getting 20 scholarships would drastically improve things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Heck even getting 20 scholarships would drastically improve things.
    20 scholarships would help things tremendously. It would even the playing field with Vandy because it would allow us to get some of these kids we lose to the draft every year. Not every one of them, but it would lessen your losses. It would give you a fighting chance to get guys like Blaze Jordan or James Wood to campus. However, not enough programs outside of the South give enough of a crap about baseball for it to succeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You either go straight out of HS or if you go to college- you have to go for 3 years or until you're 21. That should the rule for all sports
    I agree with the last part and it makes sense to also do across all sports but the first part make no sense at all.

So you can go as an immature 18 year old and an older more mature but can go in the middle? Stupid. I guess using today's progressive logic.

vCash
    Well- college just isnt for everyone. Not to mention MLB is willing to throw millions at some of these guys out of Hs. I preferred the old rule of straight out of HS or 3 years college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Well- college just isnt for everyone. Not to mention MLB is willing to throw millions at some of these guys out of Hs. I preferred the old rule of straight out of HS or 3 years college.
    Agreed. If a kid wants to go straight out of high school more power to him. Will he succeed? Probably not. Especially at the NFL and NBA level. But they're 18 years old and if a kid can go straight out of a high school and get a job in the real world then an athlete should be able to do the same IMO. It should be their decision, but if they do come to college then they need to stay at the very least two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Agreed. If a kid wants to go straight out of high school more power to him. Will he succeed? Probably not. Especially at the NFL and NBA level. But they're 18 years old and if a kid can go straight out of a high school and get a job in the real world then an athlete should be able to do the same IMO. It should be their decision, but if they do come to college then they need to stay at the very least two years.
    Why 2 years in college, its not a legal commitment a person should be able to go pro whenever they want! But nothing in this world makes sense anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I agree with the last part and it makes sense to also do across all sports but the first part make no sense at all.

So you can go as an immature 18 year old and an older more mature but can go in the middle? Stupid. I guess using today's progressive logic.
    It's what we have been doing in baseball for almost 50 years - so how is it today's progressive logic? To me it is not about maturity - it's about commitment. If you are good enough to get drafted by any sport at 18, great go for it. But, if you sign to play in college you are signing a contract just like you would for the team that drafted you. I think 3 years is a reasonable commitment to make - especially now if you are allowed a 1 time transfer without sitting out. It think along with that, you should be draft eligible in all sports after 3 years and not have to declare or risk eligibility for your possible 4th and 5th seasons (if you redshirted). This has worked very well for baseball, and would work just as well for the NBA and NFL
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It's what we have been doing in baseball for almost 50 years - so how is it today's progressive logic? To me it is not about maturity - it's about commitment. If you are good enough to get drafted by any sport at 18, great go for it. But, if you sign to play in college you are signing a contract just like you would for the team that drafted you. I think 3 years is a reasonable commitment to make - especially now if you are allowed a 1 time transfer without sitting out. It think along with that, you should be draft eligible in all sports after 3 years and not have to declare or risk eligibility for your possible 4th and 5th seasons (if you redshirted). This has worked very well for baseball, and would work just as well for the NBA and NFL
    Yeah this rule has been around as long as I have lol.

vCash
    Why 2 years in college, its not a legal commitment a person should be able to go pro whenever they want! But nothing in this world makes sense anymore.
    Because you are getting a scholarship to go to school. I'm sure the programs would want some assurance that they're not just getting a rental or that at the first sign they don't get their way then they're going to leave the team.

vCash
    You do understand that it?s the pro leagues and their player unions who make these legal contracts concerning draft eligibility, correct? It?s been that way for a very long time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Anyone wanna take a swing at this question?
    Friday - Who's on first.
    Saturday - What's on second.
    Sunday - I don't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by schddog72 View Post
    Friday - Who's on first.
    Saturday - What's on second.
    Sunday - I don't know.
    Does Costello play baseball?**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    You do understand that it?s the pro leagues and their player unions who make these legal contracts concerning draft eligibility, correct? It?s been that way for a very long time.
    99jc makes a sound Liberty oriented argument.

Say an engineering student is really great and Space X wants him as a freshman. He can interview and even go work. No big deal, it’s his private business.

Older engineers cant decide that he is “too young” or must get some fictional certificate, he may even work at Space X and the switch to Lockheed or Boeing. No restrictions. The companies may not conspire to say, we only hire people after engineering grad school.

Only in American sports is conclusion the norm. If properly challenged, it’s a black and white property right issue. My talent is my private property to utilize.

vCash

Say an engineering student is really great and Space X wants him as a freshman. He can interview and even go work. No big deal, it’s his private business.

Older engineers cant decide that he is “too young” or must get some fictional certificate, he may even work at Space X and the switch to Lockheed or Boeing. No restrictions. The companies may not conspire to say, we only hire people after engineering grad school.

Only in American sports is conclusion the norm. If properly challenged, it’s a black and white property right issue. My talent is my private property to utilize.
    Sports isn’t real life tho- that’s why it can’t be compared. It’s entertainment. Just like musicians and actors. They are entertainers

vCash

You could be a talented surgeon, but you still have to go to medical school.