Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Tanner Allen not in the lineup tonight

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcap View Post
    My point. He’s got everything we need in a mid inning or closer situation. Try him unless there is an issue with him and the staff. No way you don’t work him with his stuff. He’s nasty but a bit light on confidence but you use him to build that confidence unless something is up. I’ll say this and truly believe if you get him throwing confident we are straight up nasty anytime anywhere
    A) We have plenty of arms for the weekend without him
    B) midweek needs to be for guys to get innings and for guys to develop for next year. Canadian Bacon doesn’t really fit in either category

Yes he has some outstanding talent but we really can’t afford to waste much more time on him to figure things out. It’s time for guys to be entrenched in their weekend roles at this point.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    B) midweek needs to be for guys to get innings and for guys to develop for next year. Canadian Bacon doesn?t really fit in either category

Yes he has some outstanding talent but we really can?t afford to waste much more time on him to figure things out. It?s time for guys to be entrenched in their weekend roles at this point.
    Agree. EC needs work like in the game 3 at Aub to see if he can get lined out. Midweek is the development game for young arms and at MSU that should be good enough to W 9 of 10 midweek games.

vCash
    B) midweek needs to be for guys to get innings and for guys to develop for next year. Canadian Bacon doesn’t really fit in either category

Yes he has some outstanding talent but we really can’t afford to waste much more time on him to figure things out. It’s time for guys to be entrenched in their weekend roles at this point.
    I think we could afford to spend some more time on him if we had more established roles elsewhere. But outside of Sims, we've got a lot of pretty good and potentially very good options that haven't quite separated from each other. At this point, I think we have to use those innings to figure out who our best options are rather than keep hoping a switch is going to flip for him in his third season on campus. But it is hard to swallow giving up on him now. He really could have used last season to work on things and a good summer league. Still might not have figured it out in time, but couldn't have hurt. Guessing (hoping) he's going to be another Woodruff. If there was a decent chance he'd come back for a fourth year, I'd be a lot more willing to keep trying but I am assuming he's going to take his measurables to the draft this year?

vCash
    I agree losing last season probably hurt him more than anyone. And now that Cade Smith has returned it just gives us another bullet to shoot on the weekend. I don’t see any way Bacon returns when he will get drafted pretty high on his potential just because something could happen if he passes up the money. Staying in college would be better for his development in the short term but has more risk. If he was my kid I’d tell him to get paid and get used to the bus rides of minor league ball.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Agree. EC needs work like in the game 3 at Aub to see if he can get lined out. Midweek is the development game for young arms and at MSU that should be good enough to W 9 of 10 midweek games.
    EC won't be on the roster so hard to pitch. He wasn't last week. So I doubt this week either. And he shouldn't.

vCash
    I agree losing last season probably hurt him more than anyone. And now that Cade Smith has returned it just gives us another bullet to shoot on the weekend. I don’t see any way Bacon returns when he will get drafted pretty high on his potential just because something could happen if he passes up the money. Staying in college would be better for his development in the short term but has more risk. If he was my kid I’d tell him to get paid and get used to the bus rides of minor league ball.
    To be fair, even Alex Lange is still in the minors, 4 years after LSU. There was no more a polished College Freshman than him. Basically a day-1 Friday Ace that could take a marquee program to Omaha.

My perspective is that the coaches set the bar to high for him to contribute as the Sunday Starter or Bust. If the expectation was 7th and 8th inning per weekend, that could have been great for him. Just like Preston Johnson, Stinnett, and B Smith. Six batters per weekend in his best spots.

The coaches are supposed to know him best. Maybe he was so awesome in the Fall that he gave everybody the wrong impression.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    EC won't be on the roster so hard to pitch. He wasn't last week. So I doubt this week either. And he shouldn't.
    Yes at some point you have to earn it. He's got tons of potential but he looks no different than he did when he first got here. You have to get it done when you're given the chance or the chances run out.

vCash
    Sometimes players look good at practice and they are not under pressure look good, then when the game starts and pressure is on they don't look the same. Unfortuantly for EC, he is one of those. Potential is only a word, you either get better or you go home. It means nothing when you can't throw strikes, obviously pressure is overwhelming to a lot of players.
    I wish him luck but I don't think we will see much of him moving forward this year, he had his chance.

vCash
    I think with Cerentola we should keep working him into midweek games when the game is out of hand like we did two weeks ago. He did well then. Give him another outing in the same situation and see how it goes. Arkansas State would have been perfect because they're better than a SWAC team but not as good as a SEC team. If that goes well maybe give him another midweek outing. And then maybe if all of those go well try to work him into a SEC game in a blowout situation. And just increase it IF he keeps doing well. Maybe by the SEC Tournament you have a Zac Houston situation or a Daniel Brown situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think with Cerentola we should keep working him into midweek games when the game is out of hand like we did two weeks ago. He did well then. Give him another outing in the same situation and see how it goes. Arkansas State would have been perfect because they're better than a SWAC team but not as good as a SEC team. If that goes well maybe give him another midweek outing. And then maybe if all of those go well try to work him into a SEC game in a blowout situation. And just increase it IF he keeps doing well. Maybe by the SEC Tournament you have a Zac Houston situation or a Daniel Brown situation.
    Not happening Todd, difference in this year and the Zac Houston years is we have more quality pitchers to start. Sometimes it's just best to move on for the year, which I think it has for EC.

vCash
    I would not say this for most players, but for EC, he absolutely needs to head to the minors. What he needs more than anything is a chance to get excellent coaching and then perform in an environment where wins and losses are virtually meaningless. All that screams go play in the minors and get you some pay while you try to learn how to control your pitches and there is little to no pressure to actually win games.