Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hayes sisters transferring to Miss. State (Anastasia, Aislyn, Alasia)

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Did she really turn ODU around though. They were consistent 17 plus game winners under Karen Barefoot. Nikki comes in, and they immediately go from 17 wins to 8 wins and then back up to 22 wins.
    I haven't kept up with this at all but I keep on seeing posts about it so it's finally taken root. Barefoot coached at ODU for six seasons and finished with an overall record of 73-60 (.549) and conference record of 50-29 (.633). Her final two seasons there they finished 5th and 6th in their conference, which was about her average across her six seasons. (Their finishes range from 8th to 4th in their league.) So she was mediocre to ok, depending upon your perspective.

Problem was that Barefoot was replacing a legend named Wendy Larry. In her 24 years at ODU, Larry took them to 20 NCAA tournaments, seven sweet sixteens, two elite eights, and one national title game appearance. I mean, damn, she won her conference tournament for 17 years in a row. She won the regular season conference title in her last season at ODU, but she hadn't made the NCAA tournament for two straight years. That led ODU to refuse to extend her contract -- talk about a short leash, jeez -- so she retired.

Barefoot was an assistant under Larry at one point so I assume that they were hoping to continue the magic when they hired her. But they didn't, and then she randomly resigned and went somewhere else after six years.

McCray came and, as you said, took them to a new low in the 2017/2018 season. But then they bounced back bigtime in her next two seasons, finishing 5th in the league in year two and 2nd in year three, which was their best season since Larry's tenure a decade ago.

That's a pretty small sample size, but yeah, ODU was trending back in the right direction when McCray left to come to State. Not saying it'll work here, of course. I just felt like looking junk up.

vCash
    This will not end well. Anybody wanting to bet Vcash, I'm down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    You may be right, who knows. Whatever the case we gave Mike Leach the benefit of the doubt because these weren't his players... other coaches have gotten it too. So I will give her a chance to win with her players before I write her off completely.. regardless bringing in these 3 girls along with Rickea, Carter and the Tulane transfer who was 5 star also, gives us a very talented team so Nikki will have an even shorter leash if she can't get things going next year
    Don't forget the Temple transfer who was also a very good pickup.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Lack of bigs is concerning but at least she is bringing in talent. She has next year at least to show what she can actually do in games.
    I must have missed where it was said we were done with transfers?
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Don't forget the Temple transfer who was also a very good pickup.
    I must have missed her what was her name?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    This will not end well. Anybody wanting to bet Vcash, I'm down.
    Agreed. Have a bad feeling about this.

vCash
    You may be right, who knows. Whatever the case we gave Mike Leach the benefit of the doubt because these weren't his players... other coaches have gotten it too. So I will give her a chance to win with her players before I write her off completely.. regardless bringing in these 3 girls along with Rickea, Carter and the Tulane transfer who was 5 star also, gives us a very talented team so Nikki will have an even shorter leash if she can't get things going next year
    The difference is, Nikki inherited a very talented team. The fact that she couldn't win with what she inherited is a tremendous indictment on her coaching ability. I didn't see any strengths from her in her first season. Nothing that would make me believe she can be the coach here long term.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    The difference is, Nikki inherited a very talented team. The fact that she couldn't win with what she inherited is a tremendous indictment on her coaching ability. I didn't see any strengths from her in her first season. Nothing that would make me believe she can be the coach here long term.
    there were some serious attitude problems on the team, those problems are gone. We'll see if we are improved or not but NMP is not to blame...............yet
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    there were some serious attitude problems on the team, those problems are gone. We'll see if we are improved or not but NMP is not to blame...............yet
    That's the narrative people want to push, but one of those supposed attitude problems is going to Texas to play for Vic. Another is going to Alabama. One is going to West Virginia. If their attitude problems were that big, then why are they getting picked up by power 5 teams?

vCash
    I must have missed her what was her name?
    Ashley Jones

vCash
    She inherited a talented team that Vic himself also had some trouble getting to play the way he wanted, and he even admitted the struggles multiple times during his final year here. At the end of the day, they were his recruits, the slate was pretty much wiped clean and now Nikki is bringing in what she wants. If things don't look any better next season especially with the talent she has, there will be no more excuses

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Ashley Jones
    Thanks Jdelta.. I somehow missed this pickup. Just did some research and she averaged 16 ppg 4.5 rebs and 4.3 assist a game for Temple.. really good numbers. We definitely have alot of good gaurd play and Nikki can play fast with alot of bodies which she said is her style

vCash
    She inherited a talented team that Vic himself also had some trouble getting to play the way he wanted, and he even admitted the struggles multiple times during his final year here. At the end of the day, they were his recruits, the slate was pretty much wiped clean and now Nikki is bringing in what she wants. If things don't look any better next season especially with the talent she has, there will be no more excuses
    This is my last point to make on this, but whatever trouble Vic had with getting them to play the way he wanted didn't effect the bottom line any. He won 27 games last season with this group being less experienced than they are now. Some want to attribute that to Jordan Danberry, but that team's best players were Rickea and Jessika.

vCash
    That's the narrative people want to push, but one of those supposed attitude problems is going to Texas to play for Vic. Another is going to Alabama. One is going to West Virginia. If their attitude problems were that big, then why are they getting picked up by power 5 teams?
    I agree that it is hard to believe that, at least, AMatharu was a significant attitude problem if her former coach is willing to take her back. Vic certainly has other options but I guess there could have been something unique to NMP she didn't jive with. JMingo-Young I believe was a problem and was not that big of a contributor anyway. I do wish MHayes would have stayed. Appeared to be a good defender and energy player but limited offensively. So while we may be offloading some attitude problems it sort of sounds like we may be taking some on at the same time. Also, it is perplexing how NMP seems to be going after a ton of backcourt players with little to no regard for the frontcourt. Hope we shoot well because we won't have much rebounding outside of Carter. And I don't see this experiment ending well myself at the moment but I'm willing to give it one more year to see what happens. Might as well as NMP isn't going anywhere for the time being anyway.

vCash
    Knew nothing about them but this doesn't surprise me at all. I will be pleasantly surprised if they turn out well for MSU.

vCash
    This is my last point to make on this, but whatever trouble Vic had with getting them to play the way he wanted didn't effect the bottom line any. He won 27 games last season with this group being less experienced than they are now. Some want to attribute that to Jordan Danberry, but that team's best players were Rickea and Jessika.
    Exactly... says a lot when you have trouble getting. A team to play the way you want and you still win damn near 30 games.
    Maybe the correct narrative was these so called trouble makers wanted some to coach them and not dance with them..

vCash
    We all know how great Coach Vic was, he has the resume to prove it and I miss him being our coach.. But he chose to go to Texas, and I am ok with that. Nikki came in and had a bad season with his recruits, just like JoMo did and Leach did. I still supported them both just like I will Nikki. She is definitely bringing in talented players so give her a FAIR shake. If she doesn't show any improvement anytime soon then get another coach! People got over Mike Leach's bad season really fast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Exactly... says a lot when you have trouble getting. A team to play the way you want and you still win damn near 30 games.
    Maybe the correct narrative was these so called trouble makers wanted some to coach them and not dance with them..
    You rarely see a coach come in and take over a very successful program and it picks off exactly where it was left. Yes it happens but not always right away. Again, give her a fair chance, if the results remain the same, she has to go. If any other program was bringing this talent in most fan bases would be pretty happy. Yes we lost alot with transfers, but she is bringing in an entire roster of ESPN top 100 girls who are all ranked 4 and 5 stars and some with proven NCAA experience to include a player who was 2nd in the nation in scoring at the collegiate level with 26.5 ppg.. regardless of how u feel, its something to have some excitement about. I'm rooting for her and the players.

vCash
    Not only can Coach McCray-Penson turn things around next season, but she can litterally make a national championship run with a rotation of ultra talented guards. Possibly completely flip the script on narrative. Though, the team could defintely use some additional help in the frontcourt.

vCash
    We all know how great Coach Vic was, he has the resume to prove it and I miss him being our coach.. But he chose to go to Texas, and I am ok with that. Nikki came in and had a bad season with his recruits, just like JoMo did and Leach did. I still supported them both just like I will Nikki. She is definitely bringing in talented players so give her a FAIR shake. If she doesn't show any improvement anytime soon then get another coach! People got over Mike Leach's bad season really fast
    Mike Leach has 20 years of success as a head coach under his belt that buys him some benefit of the doubt. Plus, he took over a program whose culture had rotted after two years of Joe Moorhead's coaching. I see the exact same issues with the women's program that I saw with the football program under Joe Moorhead. There is a lack of discipline, preparation, and accountability that is clearly on the coach who wanted to be buddies with the players when she got here instead of being their coach. Her answer to the problems is to essentially give up control over the program to Arnett and Sherry Hayes. I mean, I still think Rickea is eventually going to leave via the portal, and she is the best, most talented player we have on the roster even with the addition of Anastasia and Jerkalia.