Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New Lineup tonight vs. Southern

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Nah
    I picture Marie Barone shaking her head as someone talks bad about Raymond...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Uh...that is exactly what is done in baseball. Every single day. Heck in game decisions are made on what players have done in that one game much less over 20 AB’s. This is EXACTLY what baseball does. It is all about subset of data collection and applying that knowledge to every single pitch, AB, and game, splits, etc., etc. etc. You are the only one showing your ignorance. 20 AB’s absolutely gives you very important information.

A simple metric is using a couple points of his raw data for the season and that gives us an idea of how he is hitting. You take his average of .200 (.114 in SEC play), K rate for the year of 20% (23% in SEC play) and his walk rate of 7% (less than 3% in SEC play). Just with those few raw numbers we know his plate discipline has been absolutely horrible because those walk rates are at best below average and in SEC play anything below 4% is absolutely awful. That directly correlates to his contact or lack there of in his case since he is hitting only .200 (.114 in the SEC). The overall and SEC total K rate is actually the best of his stats of those 3, being considered average to below average. But with that increasing over the last 20 AB’s, and you see his average has plummeted .074 points since the LSU series. They work together to paint a picture of someone who is in a bad slump and his plate discipline is a huge factor with his K rate increase, decrease in walks (such as they were to begin with) and his average plummeting .074 points means that he is also having a lot of bad contact.

Again. I hope and pray that tonight gets him started because this type of slump is horrible to go through. But make no mistake he has been in a slump.
    Dead on balls accurate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Uh...that is exactly what is done in baseball. Every single day. Heck in game decisions are made on what players have done in that one game much less over 20 AB’s. This is EXACTLY what baseball does. It is all about subset of data collection and applying that knowledge to every single pitch, AB, and game, splits, etc., etc. etc. You are the only one showing your ignorance. 20 AB’s absolutely gives you very important information.

A simple metric is using a couple points of his raw data for the season and that gives us an idea of how he is hitting. You take his average of .200 (.114 in SEC play), K rate for the year of 20% (23% in SEC play) and his walk rate of 7% (less than 3% in SEC play). Just with those few raw numbers we know his plate discipline has been absolutely horrible because those walk rates are at best below average and in SEC play anything below 4% is absolutely awful. That directly correlates to his contact or lack there of in his case since he is hitting only .200 (.114 in the SEC). The overall and SEC total K rate is actually the best of his stats of those 3, being considered average to below average. But with that increasing over the last 20 AB’s, and you see his average has plummeted .074 points since the LSU series. They work together to paint a picture of someone who is in a bad slump and his plate discipline is a huge factor with his K rate increase, decrease in walks (such as they were to begin with) and his average plummeting .074 points means that he is also having a lot of bad contact.

Again. I hope and pray that tonight gets him started because this type of slump is horrible to go through. But make no mistake he has been in a slump.
    Where in this gibberish do you mention "exit velocity" or "piss-rod outs". This is why blind numbers are retarded, watch the damn games. Watch the ball explode off his bat. Team leader in doubles and you all want to bench him for a football player. Unreal.

Since you are one of these statfreaks, surely you understand BABIP. Coming into tonight Hatcher's was .240 on the year. College BABIP runs higher than MLB and Hatcher being more of a line drive ground ball hitter instead of flying out would normally run higher than college average. So we see there the massive impact of bad luck so far seeing as the ball is flying off his bat.

Hatcher 2018 BABIP - .333
    Hatcher 2019 BABIP - .402
    Hatcher 2020 BABIP - .340
    Hatcher 2021 BABIP - .240 (screams unlucky!)

But go one and tell me how 2 extra K's in 5 games is "meaningful". Fool.

vCash
    Where in this gibberish do you mention "exit velocity" or "piss-rod outs". This is why blind numbers are retarded, watch the damn games. Watch the ball explode off his bat. Team leader in doubles and you all want to bench him for a football player. Unreal.

Since you are one of these statfreaks, surely you understand BABIP. Coming into tonight Hatcher's was .240 on the year. College BABIP runs higher than MLB and Hatcher being more of a line drive ground ball hitter instead of flying out would normally run higher than college average. So we see there the massive impact of bad luck so far seeing as the ball is flying off his bat.

Is this guy Will James?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcap View Post
    Y?all as inconsistent as Cerantola has been. His stuff is filthy! I?m so rooting for him. He is a key piece of the puzzle to get to Omaha
    I think his only path to help us is in the bullpen. IF he can become a one inning closer type that opens us up to using Sims and Smith both as long relievers. And then we have Preston Johnson and Parker Stinnett.

vCash

Actually his lower BABIP this season is telling us what we see when we chart his hits. Weak contact with a ton of pull contact into the defense and shifts. That is a major point of a decreasing BABIP in a hitter. But to be fair, with BABIP stat, that stat needs to be taken over about 800 balls in play to see a players average. So you also have to consider that his 2019 BABIP was well above what it should have been. What you look at during a single season is how big is a players BABIP difference from his average and what his chart is telling you. Is it a lot more points higher or lower? Is this season a natural adjustment from a season that was anomaly high or vice versa. Then we can start drawing a conclusion that they may have been lucky or unlucky possibly.

When trying to determine if there will be a regression or upward swing you do have to take care that it may not happen during a college or HS season as they just don?t get the enormous plate appearances that you do over 162 games in the majors. Also, that stat is slightly more meaningful for a pitcher vs hitter as the hitter has more control over the outcome vs a pitcher. So the fact his BABIP is so low and coincides with his low AVG. (it?s 3-4 hits difference between the 2), then compare his OPS to that (lowest by far of anyone with at least 50 AB?s on the team, including Debrule, not even .600)...whatever lack of luck you think he is having, it?s minuscule at best. Let?s be generous and say it?s 4-6 hits this season. But that?s over the whole season. Still does not change he has had an increase in K?s which is has impacted his BABIP as well. More strikeouts, higher the BABIP. That is completely on the hitter

He struck out 4 times just this weekend...it was a terrible series overall for him. And he would tell you the same thing.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 04-07-2021 at 06:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Is this guy Will James?
    Good question

vCash
    Is this guy Will James?
    Look curveball and adjust to the fastball lol!

vCash
    Is this guy Will James?
    Based on the 5 year old name calling, I'd say yes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Based on the 5 year old name calling, I'd say yes
    Y'all morons, fools, idiots...since the sex change, its Jill Wames now.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It never gets old! LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I had forgot about that...that was a classic show of ignorance. Lol

vCash
    Man this Hatcher talk is old, I wish it was more about the game than a player. Seems all pitchers did ok (I know it's a Swac team), and we finally hit the ball ok (again I know who we played), LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Man this Hatcher talk is old, I wish it was more about the game than a player. Seems all pitchers did ok (I know it's a Swac team), and we finally hit the ball ok (again I know who we played), LOL.
    We didn't hit the ball well until the 6th or so inning which is concerning. That SWAC team held us to one earned run through 5 or so innings with about 3 hits. That isn't what a top 5 team should be doing with a SWAC team. It also wasn't just one pitcher having a career day. They changed pitchers almost every inning just like we did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    We didn't hit the ball well until the 6th or so inning which is concerning. That SWAC team held us to one earned run through 5 or so innings with about 3 hits. That isn't what a top 5 team should be doing with a SWAC team. It also wasn't just one pitcher having a career day. They changed pitchers almost every inning just like we did.
    I agree, my point was let's move on about the Hatcher slump. Seems this team has a pattern of not getting off to a fast start. We are not going to hit much or score many runs as it looks, lets hope we can continue to pitch well and improve on defense. Allen only hitter in lineup hitting over .300, that is tough.

vCash
    I agree, I've made my point that you need to watch the games to see the above-average hard contact, ground balls that move the runners, etc and not just look at the stat line. Apologies for calling you fools (except Beardo who is probably watching Captain Marvel for the 100th time). We're a national title contender and are primed for another big sweep this weekend. Hail State.

vCash
    I agree, my point was let's move on about the Hatcher slump. Seems this team has a pattern of not getting off to a fast start. We are not going to hit much or score many runs as it looks, lets hope we can continue to pitch well and improve on defense. Allen only hitter in lineup hitting over .300, that is tough.
    In SEC play, we only have Rowdey Jordan hitting above 300 (at 333).

We have 5 players below 220 (Tanner, Skinner, Dubrule, Hancock, and Hatcher)

We have 4 players at or below 200 (Skinner, Dubrule, Hancock, and Hatcher)

Mendoza Starters By SEC School (SEC ABs Only)

UK - 5
    UT - 4
    UF - 4
    MO - 4
    SC - 4
    MS - 4
    AR - 3
    AU - 3
    UA - 3
    LS - 3
    AM - 2
    UG - 1
    VU - 0
    OM - 0

vCash
    FYI

300+ Hitters by SEC School (SEC ABs Only)

VU - 4
    UM - 3 (Elko included)
    UT - 3
    AU - 3
    TAM - 3
    UA - 3
    AR - 2
    UG - 2
    MO - 2
    UF - 2
    UK - 2
    MS - 1
    LS - 1
    UG - 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    In SEC play, we only have Rowdey Jordan hitting above 300 (at 333).

We have 5 players below 220 (Tanner, Skinner, Dubrule, Hancock, and Hatcher)

We have 4 players at or below 200 (Skinner, Dubrule, Hancock, and Hatcher)

Mendoza Starters By SEC School (SEC ABs Only)

UK - 5
    UT - 4
    UF - 4
    MO - 4
    SC - 4
    MS - 4
    AR - 3
    AU - 3
    UA - 3
    LS - 3
    AM - 2
    UG - 1
    VU - 0
    OM - 0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    FYI

300+ Hitters by SEC School (SEC ABs Only)

VU - 4
    UM - 3 (Elko included)
    UT - 3
    AU - 3
    TAM - 3
    UA - 3
    AR - 2
    UG - 2
    MO - 2
    UF - 2
    UK - 2
    MS - 1
    LS - 1
    UG - 0
    So what you are saying is - in general pitching in the SEC is ahead of hitting, and that hitting right now is a good bit about who you have played so far. Outside of Vandy and OM no one looks like they are outstanding on offense right now.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I'm afraid for us and others in the Sec, things are gonna get tougher with all the competition in the league. I'm a little concerned about this weekend as well as the next 3 series. It's gonna tell us a lot about our team.