Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spring football news?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Well, if by "always something" you mean he spent most of his career sitting behind better athletes at Alabama, and was injured last year, then yes, it's always been something with him. Now I don't expect him to be all SEC or anything, but I would not have been shocked if he started for us last year, and I won't be shocked if he starts for us this year. I am guessing he's either going to be a backup or a weak link starter for us.
    He had some small injury issues at Alabama that contributed to him staying behind, he had something small once he came to State prior to the injury that kept him out all of last year, and he's already been banged up some from a different injury this offseason. Heck he almost didn't even come back this season, just was going to move on with life.

I wouldn't have been shocked if he started for us some last season either, we were down 7 guys at one point, playing a guys in positions they had never played. And we still don't have much depth across the OL, nor do we know how the contact tracing rules will look this year, so won't be shocked if he ends up as a starter at some point this year.

It would be nice if he could just be a solid, dependable starter or rotational player. Nothing special, just decent and available. I'm just saying he's never been a contributor and/or consistently available so far in his 5+ year career, so at this point I'll believe he's that guy when I see it. I hope he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I dont remember those kids committing and decommitting 3 or 4 times. I remember Willie Gay was ? committed? to OM at one point and maybe Davis. There is a difference
    Did Akers and Nakobe Dean commit somewhere and then flip? I know Ole Miss was obsessed with both and I think that was mostly the root of the drama. I'm not sure that the players completely welcomed it on their own. That has to be difficult for any player to get that kind of pressure when it's not really welcomed.

And I agree that there is a difference between that and a guy that just wants to do a hat ceremony basically for the sole purpose of rubbing someone's nose in something. To me, that's pretty classless given the time and effort that college staffs put into giving a player an opportunity to play college football which I'm sure includes giving those players advice and guidance at times throughout the recruiting process.

vCash
    OL is gonna be a huge weak link again.

Get ready for it. It's amazing to me that we haven't addressed it in the portal as much as we needed to.. can't protect a passing QB... Then it will be ugly again..

If Will's arm isn't stronger... He will lose the job midseason if not sooner... Got to be able to throw it longer than 10-15 yards and have to have some zip on those throws too... Not knocking the kid... Love his BIG ole heart... But he absolutely has to be able to throw the long one... And not just float it up there when he does ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post

Get ready for it. It's amazing to me that we haven't addressed it in the portal as much as we needed to.. can't protect a passing QB... Then it will be ugly again..

If Will's arm isn't stronger... He will lose the job midseason if not sooner... Got to be able to throw it longer than 10-15 yards and have to have some zip on those throws too... Not knocking the kid... Love his BIG ole heart... But he absolutely has to be able to throw the long one... And not just float it up there when he does ...
    I don't think they will be worse than last year. We return four guys that started last year and our line will be mostly experienced players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post

nope offensive line will be improved .....you have nothing to base your opinion on. we don't need a lot of time in the pocket with the air raid when it is clicking.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    What about Sawyer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't think they will be worse than last year. We return four guys that started last year and our line will be mostly experienced players.
    we lost our 2 starting guards. We should have picked up a portal Olinemen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    What about Sawyer?
    Not here yet, I think

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    What about Sawyer?
    Playing baseball I think.