Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some baseball thoughts

vCash
    The thing about Kellum Clark, yes he is a freshman, but he's going to be 20 next month. He was rated a 10 by Perfect Game. He has a lot of pop. Need to get him some at bats vs Southern for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    The "Josh Hatcher Fried Crow Tour" begins Tuesday night. Bring your own plates, forks, and knives.
    You must be his daddy or girlfriend or something...Because this is quite the hill to die on while calling everyone one else ****ing morons. Also the fact you're doing it on this board, which is probably collectively some of the most informed baseball fans out there. And the fact you just said "wAtCh thA Gamez, y'ALl" is also adorable...as if 90%+ of this board hasn't watched every single pitch, lol. ****. Off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Lemonis waits way too long to bench someone. Even worse we have options like Pimentel, Hancock, Allen, Kellum Clark, and Kace Garner off the top of my head.
    Other than Hatcher, the only options are Clark or Hancock. Lemonis is not going to move Allen back to first. We have seen Pimental. It's either Hatcher, Clark or Hancock at first. Hancock at first opens up the DH spot. So that is intriguing to me. The concern with Clark is that he did not hit well in practice.

vCash
    Here is another stat, removing Hatcher’s numbers from the rest of the starters in SEC play moves us from 11th to 7th in the league in average. From .234 to .251. That would put us one spot ahead of Arkansas, in average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    You must be his daddy or girlfriend or something...Because this is quite the hill to die on while calling everyone one else ****ing morons. Also the fact you're doing it on this board, which is probably collectively some of the most informed baseball fans out there. And the fact you just said "wAtCh thA Gamez, y'ALl" is also adorable...as if 90%+ of this board hasn't watched every single pitch, lol. ****. Off.
    It's really not that bad of a take. Hatcher hit .321 in 2019 with 106 ABs. He hit .311 last year with 61 ABs. And his exit velo is near the top of the team when he squares one up. He has swung at some balls out of the zone, he's had some bad luck, and he hasn't hit well this year. But I understand why our coaches have continued to play him. Clark has not been ready to this point. And Cumbest has shown enough to warrant moving anyone around.

It goes back to Landon Jordan. If Jordan hadn't quit, I would want him at DH with Hancock at 1st base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It's really not that bad of a take. Hatcher hit .321 in 2019 with 106 ABs. He hit .311 last year with 61 ABs. And his exit velo is near the top of the team when he squares one up.
    A lot of people are going to look stupid on this one, and that's okay. Same with the "BenCh RoWdEy" crowd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It's really not that bad of a take. Hatcher hit .321 in 2019 with 106 ABs. He hit .311 last year with 61 ABs. And his exit velo is near the top of the team when he squares one up. He has swung at some balls out of the zone, he's had some bad luck, and he hasn't hit well this year. But I understand why our coaches have continued to play him. Clark has not been ready to this point. And Cumbest has shown enough to warrant moving anyone around.

It goes back to Landon Jordan. If Jordan hadn't quit, I would want him at DH with Hancock at 1st base.
    Nobody is saying that Hatcher should never to play again or that he was horrible before. But in a short college season with a team full of competitive players, you must cultivate a culture of performance and merit.

It actually creates trouble to be lax on accountability. Why couldn’t LJ be given a guaranteed position, he hit 350 two years ago and was outhitting many starters in 2021? It’s not like Hatcher was an All American or All SEC.

This is not the post office, seniority is not supposed to matter. If you are not getting better, then you are getting worse. Enough cliche, but its actually healthy for the program to be merit and performance oriented. It teaches the freshman and non starters that they can continue to work and push the starters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Nobody is saying that Hatcher should never to play again or that he was horrible before. But in a short college season with a team full of competitive players, you must cultivate a culture of performance and merit.

It actually creates trouble to be lax on accountability. Why couldn’t LJ be given a guaranteed position, he hit 350 two years ago and was outhitting many starters in 2021? It’s not like Hatcher was an All American or All SEC.

This is not the post office, seniority is not supposed to matter. If you are not getting better, then you are getting worse. Enough cliche, but its actually healthy for the program to be merit and performance oriented. It teaches the freshman and non starters that they can continue to work and push the starters.
    Was about to respond with pretty much this, but you beat me to it. Thanks.

1: it's not about benching forever; it's about sending a message, getting his head right, rest, whatever is need, etc.
    2: there's one guy here calling everyone else morons, which is pretty much par for the course on every thread he posts in, lol.
    3: our offense obviously has issues; there are literally blackholes in the order...and the HC shaking things up has seen results thus far, so this "shake up" is the obvious next step.

vCash
    it's not about benching forever.
    Already walking it back I see. I'm surprised you take the time to watch the games in between Marvel movies.

The Cumbest/Hatcher bet is still live if you want to take it. Lemonis is no dummy. He can see the exit velo off the bat, he can see the missiles hitting gloves like yesterday. He knows his track record of hitting here. And he knows most of all there isn't anything close to that on the bench

vCash
    Already walking it back I see. I'm surprised you take the time to watch the games in between Marvel movies.

The Cumbest/Hatcher bet is still live if you want to take it. Lemonis is no dummy. He can see the exit velo off the bat, he can see the missiles hitting gloves like yesterday. He knows his track record of hitting here. And he knows most of all there isn't anything close to that on the bench
    Tf is this Marvel movie schick, lol? If you'd participated in any of the dozen+ film threads on the OT board, you'd know how much of a dipshit you are. Good job staying to your trollin' form tho, douche.

vCash
    Cumbest isn't going to be replacing Hatch at 1st, you mook. I mean, wtf?
    He has played 1st base at the end of several midweek games.

vCash
    No one has said bench Hatch indefinitely. The ones who are saying he needs to sit, myself included, want him to sit for the time being to get his mind off of it. We know Hatcher is a good hitter and no one thinks he suddenly forgot to hit, but IMO right now it is best for the team if he sits for a couple of games. He looks lost most at bats. His Ks this weekend were really bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    No one has said bench Hatch indefinitely. The ones who are saying he needs to sit, myself included, want him to sit for the time being to get his mind off of it.
    That's not how it works. This is the only sport everyone becomes an armchair psychiatrist! Did you not see the two ropes he hit Sunday right at the defenders? He's making hard contact, it will soon begin to find holes. There's nobody close to his upside on the bench so instead of sitting him to appease the Psych 101 crowd, we should play him and give ourselves the best chance to win baseball games.

vCash
    That's not how it works. This is the only sport everyone becomes an armchair psychiatrist! Did you not see the two ropes he hit Sunday right at the defenders? He's making hard contact, it will soon begin to find holes. There's nobody close to his upside on the bench so instead of sitting him to appease the Psych 101 crowd, we should play him and give ourselves the best chance to win baseball games.
    That is exactly how it works. There has to be a stopping point where you get a player outside the lines to reset. It may not work, sometimes it takes a player months to get back right. Sometimes it never happens. But you cannot keep pushing someone into the lineup that is in a huge slump and still decreasing to the point that he is almost the worse in the league. .114 is NOT someone who is just snake bit. He is in a horrific slump over the first 9 SEC games and over the last 14 games he has dropped from .260 to .200 and unfortunately we are over half way through the season with 3 huge series ahead. Obviously a good hitting Hatcher helps this team immensely, but don’t point to one hard hit line drive and dead pull hard ground as evidence when he stunk up the whole series and went 0’fer for the weekend including some horrible AB’s this weekend. None of us are seeing what he is doing at practice so all we can do is look at his swings over this weekend, over the start of the SEC and over the last 14 games (which is a full quarter of our season) and he has had very bad mechanic breakdowns, bad plate discipline, and looks to be in his head guessing a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    This is two weeks in a row now that we've mismanaged Sims. Last week he didn't touch the mound until Sunday (after it was too late), and this week he only threw 2 innings. He's a weapon that most teams don't have. Use him. If Saturday (or the second game of the series) is the only game you're going to throw him, then it needs to be 3-4 innings. Otherwise, throw him a couple of innings on Friday and then the same on Sunday.
    Why would you want to throw Sims in a game where we're up by 4 in the top of the 7th with a fantastic bullpen? It makes so much more sense to save him for a close game. You know, like one where we're tied with 2 innings left.

I'm so glad Lemonis and co manages the pitching staff instead of forum posters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skadoosh14 View Post
    Why would you want to throw Sims in a game where we're up by 4 in the top of the 7th with a fantastic bullpen? It makes so much more sense to save him for a close game. You know, like one where we're tied with 2 innings left.

I'm so glad Lemonis and co manages the pitching staff instead of forum posters.
    He didn't pitch a meaningful inning against Arkansas. Not one. And he should've came in to close the game on Saturday. That was a close game. You know, like the one where we're up by one run with a chance to sweep the series.

And fr? You mean to tell me that I don't manage the team??? News to me.**
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 04-05-2021 at 06:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    He has played 1st base at the end of several midweek games.
    That’s not correct. Pimentel I believe is the only other to spend time at first

vCash
    You realize if that wasn't how it worked, you'd never see anybody lose a starting spot once they earned it? Letting a reasonably proven hitter work through a slump is the first and best approach. But Hatcher has been given half the season to work through it and he has regressed. And the pitching isn't getting easier. He's probably not going to figure it out right now. Rowdy is an odd player that can suck it up for half the season and then be better than average the next half. Hatcher unfortunately probably isn't figuring it out at this point because if he were, he'd probably already have shown some signs. BUt you can't just give up on him and send him out their to keep sucking to punish him for not being as good as he was previously. You have to at least try to make adjustments and see if that shakes him out of it. Probably won't work, but worst case scenario is we get some younger players experience while they suck just as hard as Hatcher has been sucking.

vCash
    Watch the damn games. He's one of the few that can get the ball to jump off the bat.

Yesterday here is Hatcher's AB's
    1st - ground ball up the middle to move the runner over. Did his job! You goons see that as "0-1"
    2nd - smokes a grounder right at the 1B. A couple feet either way and it's a hit.
    3rd - K. It happens
    4th - frozen rope liner to opposite field that gets caught.

All you morons see is "0-4 dang he sux". Watch the damn game.
    I spit my drink out laughing at this.... Hatcher couldn't hit a beach ball right now.

Dude might eventually figure it out, but he needs several games on the pine.

Clark is supposedly going to start tomorrow at 1B.