Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some baseball thoughts

vCash

Some baseball thoughts

1. A sweep is a sweep. I'll never be disappointed in an SEC series win, much less a sweep. Three wins this weekend helped offset getting swept last weekend. So we're kinda back where we're supposed to be.

2. Our hitting still sucks. Starting to feel like we just are who we are at this point. Our approaches are terrible and we just take half-a** swings at the ball. James and Hancock are the only ones who hit the ball with any authority. So that's still the bad news. Some good news? It looks like Rowdey is starting to come out of his slump. He went 5-11 this weekend, and he quietly has a 6 game hitting streak going. LoTan had a nice opposite field HR today. His average still continues to drop though.

3. Hatcher has to sit. It's not fair to him or the team. He made some solid contact this weekend at times, but he's still pressing as can been seen by his zero walks. Idk what the solution is honestly. You could move Allen to 1B and put Cumbest in RF. You could give Pimentel or Clark a chance off the bench. Hancock was getting warm up reps at first this weekend. That's an intriguing option if he can handle it. Whatever the alternative is, you have to explore it because the kid is an automatic out, and he needs some time to get his mind right.

4. The starting pitching looked pretty good. Great outing from Mac, Bednar was good until he got tired, and Fristoe competed about as well as you could expect a freshman to do. We've got to manage our bullpen better though. This is two weeks in a row now that we've mismanaged Sims. Last week he didn't touch the mound until Sunday (after it was too late), and this week he only threw 2 innings. He's a weapon that most teams don't have. Use him. If Saturday (or the second game of the series) is the only game you're going to throw him, then it needs to be 3-4 innings. Otherwise, throw him a couple of innings on Friday and then the same on Sunday.

5. Defensively we were disappointing. You can win big in this league as long as you're good in 2 of hitting, pitching, and fielding. We're currently only good in one. Gotta get these sloppy mistakes fixed. We have at least one error in six straight games.

6. Auburn is next week. They should've won this week's series vs. Arkansas, but they choked. They have legit pitchers, so a series win isn't a given. Going to have to pitch it well, play clean defense, and have situational hitting in order to get 2.

7. Oh, GTHOM.

vCash
    I'll also add..

8. It was nice to see us play a full series without those God awful black uniforms. I know it's because we didn't play on Sunday, but all three looks this week were solid. If we want to wear those pajamas, wear them in the midweek when no one is watching. Rant over.

vCash
    Hatcher had quite a few frozen rope outs. He's coming around, it's obvious.

Only Kamren James has more extra base hits on the team than Josh Hatcher. People calling for his benching will look like fools come June.

vCash
    Very interesting about Hancock getting reps at 1B. If he can handle it, that opens up the DH spot for Cumbest or Clark or even Kyte McDonald. I hope we are getting those guys live AB's during the week. We should never waste a KC Hunt or Mikey Tepper bullpen without Clark and Cumbest taking Live ABs.

It was great not having to look at those awful black PJ's. I agree 100%

I liked seeing Lemo try something different at 2nd base today and Leggett answered the call. I think he can hit .270+ for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post

Only Kamren James has more extra base hits on the team than Josh Hatcher. People calling for his benching will look like fools come June.
    False. Hancock and Rowdey have more, and LoTan is tied with him.

I'm not saying permanently bench the guy. But he needs to sit a few games in order to hit the reset button. I don't think our options behind him will allow us to keep him benched. But a change of scenery helps with slumps. Ask Rowdey.

vCash

Holy shirts and pants what a bad take. He swung at a 2-0 pitch that bounced, turning an ad count into a strikeout. Decent hitters walk some because they swing at good pitches. He has the fewest hits in our line-up except Forsythe because of fewer AB's. Forsythe will pass him in a couple of weeks. He is an automatic out and needs to be replaced 2 weeks ago.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

Umm...ok.

If Hancock can play first, that?s the best overall option He?s a solid catcher, but LT is so good defensively. He needs to be back there for every SEC game. If we can free up the DH, we have more options.

vCash

Put down the crack pipe. Holy shit, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    1. A sweep is a sweep. I'll never be disappointed in an SEC series win, much less a sweep. Three wins this weekend helped offset getting swept last weekend. So we're kinda back where we're supposed to be.

2. Our hitting still sucks. Starting to feel like we just are who we are at this point. Our approaches are terrible and we just take half-a** swings at the ball. James and Hancock are the only ones who hit the ball with any authority. So that's still the bad news. Some good news? It looks like Rowdey is starting to come out of his slump. He went 5-11 this weekend, and he quietly has a 6 game hitting streak going. LoTan had a nice opposite field HR today. His average still continues to drop though.

3. Hatcher has to sit. It's not fair to him or the team. He made some solid contact this weekend at times, but he's still pressing as can been seen by his zero walks. Idk what the solution is honestly. You could move Allen to 1B and put Cumbest in RF. You could give Pimentel or Clark a chance off the bench. Hancock was getting warm up reps at first this weekend. That's an intriguing option if he can handle it. Whatever the alternative is, you have to explore it because the kid is an automatic out, and he needs some time to get his mind right.

4. The starting pitching looked pretty good. Great outing from Mac, Bednar was good until he got tired, and Fristoe competed about as well as you could expect a freshman to do. We've got to manage our bullpen better though. This is two weeks in a row now that we've mismanaged Sims. Last week he didn't touch the mound until Sunday (after it was too late), and this week he only threw 2 innings. He's a weapon that most teams don't have. Use him. If Saturday (or the second game of the series) is the only game you're going to throw him, then it needs to be 3-4 innings. Otherwise, throw him a couple of innings on Friday and then the same on Sunday.

5. Defensively we were disappointing. You can win big in this league as long as you're good in 2 of hitting, pitching, and fielding. We're currently only good in one. Gotta get these sloppy mistakes fixed. We have at least one error in six straight games.

6. Auburn is next week. They should've won this week's series vs. Arkansas, but they choked. They have legit pitchers, so a series win isn't a given. Going to have to pitch it well, play clean defense, and have situational hitting in order to get 2.

7. Oh, GTHOM.
    Good stuff, KO.

vCash

Lol, no.

aGAIN, Allen to 1B, Cumbest to RF, and Hatcher to the bench; or Hancock at 1B and keep Allen in RF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Lol, no.

aGAIN, Allen to 1B, Cumbest to RF, and Hatcher to the bench; or Hancock at 1B and keep Allen in RF.
    I'd be down trying Tanner at 1st again. We went to OMAHA with that formula.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I don't know anything.
    Ban bet - Hatcher has a better OBP and K% than Cumbest rest of season in SEC games.

vCash
    Ban bet - Hatcher has a better OBP and K% than Cumbest rest of season in SEC games.
    Cumbest isn't going to be replacing Hatch at 1st, you mook. I mean, wtf?

vCash
    Lol using K% as a stat in a ban bet involving Cumbest is just a pure bait move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Cumbest isn't going to be replacing Hatch at 1st, you mook. I mean, wtf?
    You moron. If Allen moves to 1st who goes in the OF. The bet was around offensive categories not fielding % at 1st Base dummy.

vCash
    You moron. If Allen moves to 1st who goes in the OF. The bet was around offensive categories not fielding % at 1st Base dummy.
    Yeah, I'm clearly the moron here, lol.

vCash

vCash

Make sense - then - spit out drink

vCash
    It's a hugely important stat... which is why I included OBP also... if it's such a foregone conclusion that Cumbest will K all the tome why is there this push to put him in the lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Very interesting about Hancock getting reps at 1B. If he can handle it, that opens up the DH spot for Cumbest or Clark or even Kyte McDonald. I hope we are getting those guys live AB's during the week. We should never waste a KC Hunt or Mikey Tepper bullpen without Clark and Cumbest taking Live ABs.

It was great not having to look at those awful black PJ's. I agree 100%

I liked seeing Lemo try something different at 2nd base today and Leggett answered the call. I think he can hit .270+ for us.
    Hancock to 1B would be a game changer and right-on for the bullpens. We get a truly optimized DH position.

Plus it gives us two catchers in the game. With Hancock as DH, he cannot replace Tanner in the game. Someone check if my logic is busted on DH substitution.