Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Jones at #3?

vCash

Mac Jones at #3?

Did the 49ers trade up to take Mac Jones at #3? 3 1st round pics for Jones? Shanahan and lynch seem to be good at their job, but boy, I question this. FWIW, I think jones is a 1st rounder, but late 1st.

vCash
    He fits that system pretty good. He's got the tools to be a successful NFL QB in the right system and they have the pieces around him to be successful immediately.

On another point, I think the Jets are dumb as hell to take Wilson 2nd overall, which it seems like they will do. I think Darnold can be successful but he's literally had the worst skill position players in the NFL around him the last 3 years. They are missing a very valuable opportunity to trade back, collect picks, and find him some solid skill players in this draft.

If you go back and look at this history of success of Top 3 QB picks in the last decade, it's not very good. A very small number have ever played in a Super Bowl in the last decade and a shockingly small number have made it to a conference championship game. With possibly the best group of 1st round QBs in the last decade to come out, I'll be interested to see if the 3 that go 1-3 can change that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Did the 49ers trade up to take Mac Jones at #3? 3 1st round pics for Jones? Shanahan and lynch seem to be good at their job, but boy, I question this. FWIW, I think jones is a 1st rounder, but late 1st.
    Belichek seemed to be disappointed with Mac Jones pro day. He didn't look very good. You just have to wonder how he does when he doesn't have the best players at every position around him.

vCash
    I wouldn't draft Mac Jones in the 1st round at all let alone the 3rd pick.

vCash
    Jones and Fields will be busts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    He fits that system pretty good. He's got the tools to be a successful NFL QB in the right system and they have the pieces around him to be successful immediately.

On another point, I think the Jets are dumb as hell to take Wilson 2nd overall, which it seems like they will do. I think Darnold can be successful but he's literally had the worst skill position players in the NFL around him the last 3 years. They are missing a very valuable opportunity to trade back, collect picks, and find him some solid skill players in this draft.

If you go back and look at this history of success of Top 3 QB picks in the last decade, it's not very good. A very small number have ever played in a Super Bowl in the last decade and a shockingly small number have made it to a conference championship game. With possibly the best group of 1st round QBs in the last decade to come out, I'll be interested to see if the 3 that go 1-3 can change that.
    I agree. Darnold needs weapons and he'll flourish. I'd draft the LSU WR Chase and roll or trade for more picks in the 1st round.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    I agree. Darnold needs weapons and he'll flourish. I'd draft the LSU WR Chase and roll or trade for more picks in the 1st round.
    If ther want weapons, I'm sure Atlanta or Carolina would trade up

vCash
    If ther want weapons, I'm sure Atlanta or Carolina would trade up
    I'm not certain I wouldn't just take Chase and start from there honestly. He's a difference maker. The Jets have the 2nd pick, 23rd, and 34th pick. I change my stance on trading unless I could get 1 more additional 1st rounder. With the right draft picks they're essentially rebuilding like the Buffalo Bills.
    Last edited by bulldawg28; 04-02-2021 at 08:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    I'm not certain I wouldn't just take Chase and start from there honestly. He's a difference maker. The Jets have the 2nd pick, 23rd, and 34th pick. I change my stance on trading unless I could get 1 more additional 1st rounder. With the right draft picks they're essentially rebuilding like the Buffalo Bills.
    Atlanta and Carolina moving up to #2 would absolutely cost them their 1st this year and next year

vCash
    I agree with this - he may turn out to be great but the game is a lot easier with a clean pocket and receivers with 2 yards of separation at a minimum. I remember watching a Dolphins game late last year and the announcers said that the big thing the coaches and other QB's were trying to teach Tua was that NFL open is very different from college open. He'd hold the ball when guys were plenty open because in his mind they were covered. That's because at Bama if you checked off a guy barely open the next guy would be wide open.

That's a massive adjustment for a QB that is processing so much information so quickly. I think it's why a lot of big name QBs from big name programs have struggled. It's not that they don't possess the tools, it's that they simply can't make the adjustment to the tight windows and they constantly hesitate. It's almost like you have to take a year and let them throw 40 picks but just telling them to sling it and learn from both the success and the mistakes.

I don't know why more teams aren't trying to trade for Darnold at a discount honestly.

vCash
    Surely any noise that they're trading up to take Mac Jones is just misdirection?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Surely any noise that they're trading up to take Mac Jones is just misdirection?
    Maybe. Jones and fields' pro day was same day, anf shanahan anf lynch both attended jones'. They sent an assistant GM to see fields. Also, picks 1 and 2 seem to be locks, so who they trying to trick?

vCash
    Maybe. Jones and fields' pro day was same day, anf shanahan anf lynch both attended jones'. They sent an assistant GM to see fields. Also, picks 1 and 2 seem to be locks, so who they trying to trick?
    I definitely don't think it's just misdirection, partly because, what is there to gain from misdirection at 3?

But Mac Jones' pro day is also Alabama's pro day, so they could also have both gone simply because it's the single most effective and efficient day to see a ton of pro prospects at once. And Jones apparently didn't perform extremely well, so the fact that they both saw it in-person could actually hurt his chances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I definitely don't think it's just misdirection, partly because, what is there to gain from misdirection at 3?

But Mac Jones' pro day is also Alabama's pro day, so they could also have both gone simply because it's the single most effective and efficient day to see a ton of pro prospects at no once. And Jones apparently didn't perform extremely well, so the fact that they both saw it in-person could actually hurt his chances.
    Still, if fields were in play, wouldn't you split lynch and shanahan up? Seems watching pro day first before the trade was the way to go. I think the 49ers screwed up

vCash
    Still, if fields were in play, wouldn't you split lynch and shanahan up? Seems watching pro day first before the trade was the way to go. I think the 49ers screwed up
    I'm assuming the 49ers are basically ok with any of their top 3-4 QBs, so trading up meant they're fine with whoever they end up with.

Personally, I think they're going to take Lance.

vCash
    I'm assuming the 49ers are basically ok with any of their top 3-4 QBs, so trading up meant they're fine with whoever they end up with.

Could happen. I just hope they screw it up haha

vCash

I think like most have said, if they keep Jimmy G they probably go Lance. There's no way to me any organization could feel comfortable throwing Trey Lance to the wolves as a rookie and have him start day 1. I can't imagine any organization would feel comfortable enough doing that.

vCash
    Lance (more athletic) seems better fit for all those PA rollouts in shanahan's offense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I think like most have said, if they keep Jimmy G they probably go Lance. There's no way to me any organization could feel comfortable throwing Trey Lance to the wolves as a rookie and have him start day 1. I can't imagine any organization would feel comfortable enough doing that.
    Worked out OK for Josh Allen.

vCash
    Worked out OK for Josh Allen.
    Buffalo was 6-10 his rookie year, and Allen had a 67.9 passer rating. SF can't suck like that next year if they trade away 2 future 1sts with a team built to win now.