Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to get something done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Guys this isn't like firing Leach one year in. The pc firestorm that would erupt firing her would be just as damning as what she's done to the program thus far. Sorry but it is what it is now. Blame this on Cohen.
    It's women's basketball - there will be no firestorm / nobody cares that much

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    It's women's basketball - there will be no firestorm / nobody cares that much
    And most of "us" don't give 2 shats about PC backlash. We want to win in whatever sport we're competing in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Guys this isn't like firing Leach one year in. The pc firestorm that would erupt firing her would be just as damning as what she's done to the program thus far. Sorry but it is what it is now. Blame this on Cohen.
    We can't let the media dictate what is best for our programs. You really want people like Paul Finebaum dictating what we do?

vCash
    Who in their right mind would come work for Cohen? He is the laughing stock of every SEC Athletic Director out there... I mean how clueless can this f'er be?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is insane. How does she still have a job? She has completely destroyed our program. Imagine performing your job as poorly as she has performed here. Would you still be employed?
    Especially someone in a position making her salary... get woke go broke

vCash
    not fresh as hail anymore.....she is stale as dog shit!

vCash
    Repeat after me: "MSU cannot pay buyouts for money losing sports."

The team is destroyed already. There's no point in spending money at this point to try to start the rebuild earlier. Unless we can fire her for cause, we're going to need to run her contract down at least another two years and maybe all three. It sucks because it was good exposure for MSU, but at the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal, and we don't need to be paying a buyout just to start building two or three years earlier when we're going to lose money regardless and the only way we're going to get any meaningful exposure is if we hire a coach that can get us a championship or alternatively to the final 4 consistently. Those are not good odds.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Agree. Do not sign extension. Let her go down with the ship but do not pay one extra dime for a sport no one cares about now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Repeat after me: "MSU cannot pay buyouts for money losing sports."

The team is destroyed already. There's no point in spending money at this point to try to start the rebuild earlier. Unless we can fire her for cause, we're going to need to run her contract down at least another two years and maybe all three. It sucks because it was good exposure for MSU, but at the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal, and we don't need to be paying a buyout just to start building two or three years earlier when we're going to lose money regardless and the only way we're going to get any meaningful exposure is if we hire a coach that can get us a championship or alternatively to the final 4 consistently. Those are not good odds.
    Ultimately this is what will happen. It just sucks that someone this incompetent can make this kind of money while doing an absolutely awful job and destroying a program. That wouldn't play in my profession.

vCash
    Ultimately this is what will happen. It just sucks that someone this incompetent can make this kind of money while doing an absolutely awful job and destroying a program. That wouldn't play in my profession.
    It's amazing how much guaranteed money coaches are getting. But maybe not that much of NMP's salary is guaranteed. I've tried to find her buyout but couldn't. Vic's buyout to leave was "only" $1.25M. Of course that doesn't mean the buyout if we fired him was only $1.25M. But if the buyout for NMP is less than $750,000, then yes, you fire her and just go hire somebody with the money you saved, so you don't actually spend more money than you would buying her out. May not get a good coach, but can't do worse so probably worth trying.

Hell, I guess even if her buyout is $1.2M, you're still left with $375k a year to hire the next coach for three years. Could you do worse if you went and got a really successful high school coach and gave him/her a shot for $200k per year with incentives that could take it up to $400k a year?

vCash
    Our only recourse at this point is rework her contract similar to what Michigan did with Harbaugh and we probably can't even do that til next year. We pay far too much for women's basketball as is. We were paying Schaefer too much as well. We don't need to be paying over 750K for a non revenue sport. A non revenue sport coaches salary should be heavy on incentives. I'd rework her contract down to a 300K base with the ability to make up to whatever she's being paid now in incentives. This would also lower the buyout significantly when she's fired. If she turns that down then you can fire her in year 3 and say we tried to renegotiate.

vCash
    Honestly, I would rather just get rid of Cohen at this point. He's not an AD. He's a baseball coach. This is just like Tanner at USC...running everything into the ground one bad hire at a time. They have stuck with him for some reason, and we seem to be following in their footsteps. Why, I don't know, since they are just bottoming out. We need a real AD to right the ship. Lemonis has been a solid hire. The rest have been bad, except Leach. Too early to tell, but the early indications are worrisome with him.

vCash
    It's amazing how much guaranteed money coaches are getting. But maybe not that much of NMP's salary is guaranteed. I've tried to find her buyout but couldn't. Vic's buyout to leave was "only" $1.25M. Of course that doesn't mean the buyout if we fired him was only $1.25M. But if the buyout for NMP is less than $750,000, then yes, you fire her and just go hire somebody with the money you saved, so you don't actually spend more money than you would buying her out. May not get a good coach, but can't do worse so probably worth trying.

Hell, I guess even if her buyout is $1.2M, you're still left with $375k a year to hire the next coach for three years. Could you do worse if you went and got a really successful high school coach and gave him/her a shot for $200k per year with incentives that could take it up to $400k a year?
    Exactly!

vCash
    Unless we can fire her for cause
    So sad that destruction of a sports program isn't considered 'cause'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    So sad that destruction of a sports program isn't considered 'cause'.
    If we were smart we could use all this pc crap to our advantage. Get out in front of it. Fire her and go on a media blast about how important our women's sports are to us at MSU. The vast majority of these women just happen to be black also. We could win the day.

vCash

Jeebus - we are a P5 program and you want to bring in a High School coach???? I get thinking we over pay, but it's 2021, not 1986.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Jeebus - we are a P5 program and you want to bring in a High School coach???? I get thinking we over pay, but it's 2021, not 1986.
    Can we just have 1 woman coach softball, volleyball, and basketball? Use the savings for men's sports**

vCash
    It's already a foregone conclusion on who's gonna be the next coach. If she wants it then it will be Johnnie Harris. And if that's going to be it then you might just as Johnson said bite the bullet and go ahead and pay NMP the buyout and hire Harris for 200-250K. That hire would appease the cult and the national media couldn't be outraged either. If that's going to be the end result next year or in two years then just go ahead do it now. You aren't getting Mitchell because his wife doesn't like Mississippi and that family doesn't need the money. And I doubt you're pulling a sitting P5 HC unless you're going to overpay which you don't need to do since the University is already paying Moorhead's buyout plus the potential of paying NMP's buyout.

Saying all that, I don't know that Harris is the answer to all the problems. I think the problems were here under the last staff, but they were masked because no one was going to go against Schaefer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Can we just have 1 woman coach softball, volleyball, and basketball? Use the savings for men's sports**
    Teach PE and drive the bus to all of the games too!
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I don't want to bring in a high school coach. I just don't want to spend any more money than we have committed already when the only way for us to make it worthwhile is to hire somebody who turns out to be a top 4 coach. While I earlier had said you can't spend any money on buyouts for a money losing sport, after Commerce's comment, I realized as bad as she has tanked this year, we actually can pay a buyout (even if we have what I hope is a worst case scenario buyout of guaranteeing 50% of her salary for the term of the contract) and not spend any more money overall than if we kept her through the contract, and we can't really do any worse, because for your non-revenue sports, it just doesn't make a difference if we are worse than we are now.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 03-31-2021 at 03:32 PM.