Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cohen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Some see leach as a major plus. I think that's yet to be determined myself.

Lemonis was a good hire imo
    Mike Leach at his age, for 5 million per, after missing on other targets, and then a 3-7 season, no can't put that one in the plus column yet.

The baseball search was a shitshow. I think it's still TBD on Lemonis, but he looks like a solid hire at worst.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Mike Leach at his age, for 5 million per, after missing on other targets, and then a 3-7 season, no can't put that one in the plus column yet.

The baseball search was a shitshow. I think it's still TBD on Lemonis, but he looks like a solid hire at worst.
    Who are the "other targets" we missed on in football? Joe Judge? Maybe Napier if you believe Bert Stare?

And the baseball search was Cohen probably having a guy in Schloss who got tired of waiting and wanted to be named before our season was over. I don't fault Cohen on that one.

Look I don't think Cohen is "putting his politics into the athletic dept." and I don't really know where that comes from other than the Leach tweet fiasco. I think it comes down to the fact that he's just in over his head and doesn't have the ability or want to to be able to do the job effectively. It's not that uncommon with coaches that move into the AD chair. See Ray Tanner. Saying all that, it doesn't matter how you feel about him because his seat is not the least bit warm and will only start to become warm if Leach has a crap season this year. WBB or Softball isn't going to get an AD fired. Multiple bad hires in football or MBB is just about the only thing that can get an AD fired other than LOIC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Who are the "other targets" we missed on in football? Joe Judge? Maybe Napier if you believe Bert Stare?

And the baseball search was Cohen probably having a guy in Schloss who got tired of waiting and wanted to be named before our season was over. I don't fault Cohen on that one.

Look I don't think Cohen is "putting his politics into the athletic dept." and I don't really know where that comes from other than the Leach tweet fiasco. I think it comes down to the fact that he's just in over his head and doesn't have the ability or want to to be able to do the job effectively. It's not that uncommon with coaches that move into the AD chair. See Ray Tanner. Saying all that, it doesn't matter how you feel about him because his seat is not the least bit warm and will only start to become warm if Leach has a crap season this year. WBB or Softball isn't going to get an AD fired. Multiple bad hires in football or MBB is just about the only thing that can get an AD fired other than LOIC.
    The interesting thing about this whole "woke" theory is that from appearances, we aren't doing anything different from every SEC program.
    I don't hear a whole lot of Bama fans calling for Saban's or Greg's head for putting out this video -

That's just as "woke" as anything I've seen from Cohen and crew.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    That video is not on the same level as Leach's noose and his trumpism

vCash
    I don’t think Cohen’s job is remotely in question. He listens to the Big Boys for the most part and gets along well with Keenum. I think it’s just a small percentage of mad fans and that’s about it. He’s not the only person who decides on coaching hires we make. Keenum is a big part as is a couple of others.

I don’t know anybody that has relayed me good info thru the years that thinks his job is even remotely in jeopardy
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    People are looking for reasons to not like Cohen other than his coaching hires. They seem to think that adding all this together will force him to be fired. Look, the bottom line is as others have stated 100+ times at this point since the day Mike Leach was hired, Cohen has tied his job security to Mike Leach. Nothing else he does has as big of an impact as football does. If Leach has another bad season then Cohen will be on the hot seat. A bad year 3 and Cohen will be gone. It's truly that simple. No AD is given the chance to hire 3 football or MBB coaches.
    I think there is a also a segment that is still anti-Cohen because of the whole Polk-in-waiting Raffo thing. Polk and Cohen seemed to have gotten past it - but if there is one thing MSU fans can be good at it is holding onto an irrational grudge for forever.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Some see leach as a major plus. I think that's yet to be determined myself.

Lemonis was a good hire imo
    Both of these. Great points. Lemonis will have us as a regular CWS team and Leach will win as much or more than Mullen. How will that reflect on Cohen??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I think there is a also a segment that is still anti-Cohen because of the whole Polk-in-waiting Raffo thing. Polk and Cohen seemed to have gotten past it - but if there is one thing MSU fans can be good at it is holding onto an irrational grudge for forever.
    I feel like even the most ardent Polk lifers have gotten past that one. I think pre 2011 you would be correct. I even think a majority of the fan base was ready to fire him if he didn't get to the tournament that year. However, you could be right. I know there's definitely still some that think he was the reason we got rid of the original LFL and haven't forgiven him for it. I really think the core of the resentment for Cohen is how the "AD Search" was handled. A lot of people feel like he was just given the job without really interviewing anyone else. Now I don't know who all was interviewed as part of the search, but it does seem like Cohen was settled on pretty quickly into the process. Again, that's no inside knowledge just my opinion.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 03-30-2021 at 01:02 PM.

vCash

The baseball search wasn?t on Cohen. He has his guy in Schloss. Terms were agreed to and when it came time to sign him, something came out that there was no way possible he could hire him following what Cann pulled. If he would have, it would have been a disaster if it had went public.

That?s why Schloss was trying to hurry up and name him coach incase it did. That and he didn?t want Henderson to get it after what the team accomplished. He knew he would be walking into a bad situation with the big fellas that wanted to keep Hendo. If you name him coach, doesn?t matter what Hendo does then. It?s already a done deal...

TCU swept it under the rug so to speak.

After that, Cohen went to McDonald knowing he would never come due to his wife and his promise to her. But McDonald and Cohen did sit down together along with a couple other people and make a list. Lemonis was #1 on that list.

Then we threw the bank at the OSU pitching coach to Come here and he declined due to being next in line at OSU. Next was Foxhall.

As far as I know, Tadlack was never on the board.
    Last edited by TNDawg35; 03-30-2021 at 01:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    The baseball search wasn?t on Cohen. He has his guy in Schloss. Terms were agreed to and when it came time to sign him, something came out that there was no way possible he could hire him following what Cann pulled. If he would have, it would have been a disaster if it had went public.

That?s why Schloss was trying to hurry up and name him coach incase it did. That and he didn?t want Henderson to get it after what the team accomplished. He knew he would be walking into a bad situation with the big fellas that wanted to keep Hendo. If you name him coach, doesn?t matter what Hendo does then. It?s already a done deal...

After that, Cohen went to McDonald knowing he would never come due to his wife and his promise to her. But McDonald and Cohen did sit down together along with a couple other people and make a list. Lemonis was #1 on that list.

Then we threw the bank at the OSU pitching coach to Come here and he declined due to being next in line at OSU. Next was Foxhall.

I remember more than a few people thought that Tadlock was the guy. I do believe you're right about Schloss though. I specifically remember a press conference he had before the NCAA tournament where he wasn't even trying to hide that he had interviewed for the job and would probably take it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post

I don't know a lot of the details but this all sounds very reasonable with regard to how it all transpired.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree with him being tied to leach. I do think Cohen needs to meet with students, advertising agencies, whoever to get people back in the hump for MBK. Assuming we return everyone, we should have a team that will compete, so there should be interest. If season ticket holders aren't gonna be there, come up with a plan to get those tix into fans' hands that will attend. Fix the hump!
    Well here is the short list of items to fix about the Hump.
    1. Build a new Hump.
    2. Get students on at least one entire sideline.
    3. Fix the lighting, sound system, and make sure the students sit opposite of the camera so that is who you see when watching the game.
    4. Make our official home color to be white for the home crowd. Maroon makes the place look dark and depressing.
    5. Find out how to capture the intro sequence we had in the early 2000s. Right now the hype guy is boring as shit.
    6. You have to find a way to get the blue hairs away from the court. We need folks that are relentless in effort, energy, and visceral to the other teams bench.
    7. Focus on play chants. Get the dance team and cheerleaders going. Tell them we need energy from everyone.
    8. Learn how to play zone sometimes. Learn how to press sometimes. Learn how to break a press.
    9. Stop losing home giant SEC games when the team has a little momentum. Seriously, everytime for the past 12 years we have gained a little bit of momentum we 17ing destroy it by losing ar home with a crowd. Those people don't come back.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I see a lot of Cohen hate on here. I loved him as a coach, what he took over to what he turned it into is one of the best jobs we have ever had. He was intense and a winner. No one can deny that

But with Moorhead, football game days becoming more hectic and NMP...is his seat warm or is it just EliteDawg talk. I personally dont think he should be fired but he should own the fact that he made two bad hires to the fans and learn from it.
    There may be some that hate him; I don't hate him but he has shown incompetence in his job and I want something done before he does more damage the the school I love. No one is perfect but he was not a good fit for this job. We need another Greg Byrne to fix our mess, a professional AD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Both of these. Great points. Lemonis will have us as a regular CWS team and Leach will win as much or more than Mullen. How will that reflect on Cohen??
    Still premature on Leach, we will see. Lemonis already shown he can get it done.

vCash
    Again- you guys keep thinking Cohen's job is based on hires with him as AD- and that's really not true. Thats not a huge factor in his employment.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Like I said I didnt want to make this into a Leach thread but for those of you that think Cohens future is tied with Leach (I agree with you) better get ready to see Cohen here for a while bc Leach is going to do at least what Mullen did and has a better chance to do more bc he wont be looking for the first plane out every December

vCash
    I would be as brave as to say if Mike Leach is our coach in 2018 we beat Mullen and dont have to deal with the off field disaster that was Moorhead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    There may be some that hate him; I don't hate him but he has shown incompetence in his job and I want something done before he does more damage the the school I love. No one is perfect but he was not a good fit for this job. We need another Greg Byrne to fix our mess, a professional AD.
    I liked Cohen as a player, I liked Cohen as a coach. Not sure I care for his politics (from what I keep reading) but that is really not a factor here unless he is pushing his politics onto other people. As an AD though what am I getting for MSU? He is not a marketer. He is not really a fundraiser. He is not a big PR guy. So if he can't do well hiring and managing the coaches for various sports, then what good is he? That is just an honest question that I think a LOT of MSU fans have. Has nothing to do with 'looking for a reason to not like Cohen'. I am one that was very happy he got the baseball HC job over Raffo because I didn't want Polk II to begin with and I thought Raffo would just be more of Polk since Polk was planning to still be around directing things from behind the scenes anyway.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 03-31-2021 at 12:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

Lemonis looks like a fat cat... getting fatter. Literally and figuratively.