Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSU baseball always has at least one head up our ass weekend

vCash

MSU baseball always has at least one head up our ass weekend

And this was it.

Don't know why but it just happens. Yeah we'll be fine but we've got to get better at constructing our roster. I think some of the coaching turnover is to blame for that a little bit. Just changing recruiting philosophies too much.

Hitting has to get better but we have a bunch of singles hitters with little to no protection in the lineup. That's why Lemonis has had us running more on the base paths. Not Gautreau's fault there. But he does have to try to get our hitters to start to use the whole field more. Of course that's an epidemic throughout all of baseball and has gotten so bad that MLB is looking at changing rules. Guess they've given up hope too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And this was it.

Don't know why but it just happens. Yeah we'll be fine but we've got to get better at constructing our roster. I think some of the coaching turnover is to blame for that a little bit. Just changing recruiting philosophies too much.

Hitting has to get better but we have a bunch of singles hitters with little to no protection in the lineup. That's why Lemonis has had us running more on the base paths. Not Gautreau's fault there. But he does have to try to get our hitters to start to use the whole field more. Of course that's an epidemic throughout all of baseball and has gotten so bad that MLB is looking at changing rules. Guess they've given up hope too.
    Todd, while that's true, the areas of play that bit us this weekend have been there all year for those really looking at things critically. When you aren't putting up runs against weak competition its a big red flag. I guess the big eye opener this weekend though was that we thought our pitching staff was elite enough to hold down most any offense for at least 2 out of any 3 games in a 3 game series. That obviously isn't the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Todd, while that's true, the areas of play that bit us this weekend have been there all year for those really looking at things critically. When you aren't putting up runs against weak competition its a big red flag. I guess the big eye opener this weekend though was that we thought our pitching staff was elite enough to hold down most any offense for at least 2 out of any 3 games in a 3 game series. That obviously isn't the case.
    Defense was way worse this weekend. Extended way too many innings and it seemed like we gave up a home run every time it happened.

vCash
    The good news is that we've got several "sweep-able" series this year. Kentucky, Mizzou, Bama, Auburn, A&M are all series we have a chance to sweep in order to make up for this crap show.

vCash
    When we won the SEC in 16, weren?t we swept by A&M or was it Arky? I can?t remember

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    When we won the SEC in 16, weren?t we swept by A&M or was it Arky? I can?t remember
    Not sure, but we've definitely been swept by Arky and Vandy in recent years and still went on to have great seasons. It's baseball.

vCash
    fyi... last time we got swept was vs @Arky in 2019. we went 52-15 and 20-10 in sec that season. we got our shit pushed in this weekend but got a lotta more to play. stay up guys!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    fyi... last time we got swept was vs @Arky in 2019. we went 52-15 and 20-10 in sec that season. we got our shit pushed in this weekend but got a lotta more to play. stay up guys!
    Thank you. I knew it was very recent. Granted that was on the road, but still...plenty of season left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Think it was A&M. At home too if I remember correctly.

vCash
    Yeah. This isn't "the season is over" topic by any means. But it's frustrating as hell that we have one of these a year at least. I just want a more well rounded team like Vanderbilt has.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I think we will improve. First time guys will be experienced by end of season. Peak at the end. Get hot. Run to Omaha. Baseball is streaky.

vCash
    Nobody is panicking but shit needs to change. I am most disappointed in our older guys not getting any better or making adjustments

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Nobody is panicking but shit needs to change. I am most disappointed in our older guys not getting any better or making adjustments
    If I'm Lemonis I'm having a team meeting and saying if you don't want to use the whole field and just want to keep on hitting into a shift then you're going to sit.

vCash
    Yeah, seems like we started a few season in the 90s getting swept by Florida. Anyways.... the emotional out cry this Sunday can be traced back to the hype of the weekend. 1 vs 2, open weekend, first weekend with nearly full attendance. Just such a huge let down.

State will be ok. 15-18 sec wins. Make the ncaas. Then who knows.... maybe a super. But going Into the weekend, the sights were set much higher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Yeah, seems like we started a few season in the 90s getting swept by Florida. Anyways.... the emotional out cry this Sunday can be traced back to the hype of the weekend. 1 vs 2, open weekend, first weekend with nearly full attendance. Just such a huge let down.

State will be ok. 15-18 sec wins. Make the ncaas. Then who knows.... maybe a super. But going Into the weekend, the sights were set much higher.
    It seems like we beat Florida maybe 3-4 times the entire decade of the 90's. LOL.

You're right about the hype. Sounds like we have some players that thought they were better than they thought they were and we got it shoved this weekend.

I just hate that what this weekend tells me is we can't handle success at all. Probably could use 3-4 guys to graduate will probably end up being addition by subtraction. Too bad we can't seem to find anyone with Jake Mangum's attitude. I'm not saying that they need to be the all- time SEC hit leader. But we need someone that makes it their mission to win the whole thing rather than get their "love" from the fans and press.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 03-28-2021 at 09:43 PM.

vCash
    We beat Arkansas in Starkville to win the SEC in 2016..

vCash
    Pretty much every team in the country has a weekend like this at some point. It doesn?t stop the half-assed fans from coming out of the woodwork and complaining about uniforms, hairstyles, walkout music, and all the other crap that has nothing to do with wins and losses.

The team has some holes, but we have a lot of good pieces. We stunk in every facet of the game this weekend, but that won?t be the norm. Some leadership will emerge from this, and players will play with a new purpose. Our veterans just have to step up.

vCash
    It's all about the pitching this year and some timely hitting. We aren't gonna score a lot of runs as we all can see this. We are iffy on defense in a few spots, that has to improve right away. Arkansas is for real, I also think we are in the middle of the pack in the Sec.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Not sure, but we've definitely been swept by Arky and Vandy in recent years and still went on to have great seasons. It's baseball.
    Blind squirrel found a nut - agree completely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And this was it.

Maybe a little too much sunshine for this team this year Todd.