Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Like how TA pulled no punches in post game interview

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I'm certain some posters here never played organized sports.
    Most*

vCash
    Where can you find this interview?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boonedawg View Post
    Where can you find this interview?
    It was after yesterday's game. On Twitter. Think Joel Coleman posted it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    No it?s been talked about from where I sit at games. I wonder what Paul Gregory or Ron Polk would say.
    The 2013 team wore their jerseys with the top 2 or 3 buttons undone. And they made it all the way to the CWS championship. They also clowned around more than any team I've ever witnessed.

Ask Ron and Paul if their results trumped their antics and their uniform-wearing habits.
    Last edited by MaroonFlounder; 03-28-2021 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    The 2013 team wore their jerseys with the top 2 or 3 buttons undone. And they made it all the way to the CWS championship. They also clowned around more than any team I've ever witnessed.

Ask Ron and Paul if their results trumped their antics and their uniform-wearing habits.
    Heck- Brantley Jones wore an Archie Who? pin to the mound when Gregory was the coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by schddog72 View Post
    Well, if we're going to be a crappy team (which we are), we ought to at least halfway look like we belong out there. Witness: Texas A & M - they ALL wear the uniform the way it should be worn - no jorts and no long pajama bottoms. I'm not going to apologize for being an old fart and being old school. This bunch right now is playing like crap and looks like middle schoolers doing it. The first order of discipline is in taking pride in your appearance. What this bunch needs is a good dose of R. Lee Ermy (RIP) before they hit the field. "Four inches Private Pyle, FOUR INCHES!!"
    Or

Gunnery Sergent Thomas Highway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Ok, so let me get this straight, if they wear different clothes then they will play better???

Well problem solved guys!
    It is not the clothes themselves but the mentality that causes people to dress in ways that do not fit the purpose of what they are trying to accomplish in life! Their head is not where it needs to be. If you dress like a BUM you will play like a bum because it is a heart issue. Call it superficial if you want to but there is a link between what we wear and how we feel and act.

vCash

But did the wear football pants? Were those special request or is that how Adidas makes them.

vCash

So are u gonna compare teams now? Sometimes having too much fun turns sour. I’m for having fun, but getting ones ass handed to them ain’t fun. Also I like traditions, I’m not baseball players wearing “shorts” in baseball. Too each your own, so have at it.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Ok, so let me get this straight, if they wear different clothes then they will play better???

Well problem solved guys!
    The clothes are 8nd8cative of a larger issue.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    It is not the clothes themselves but the mentality that causes people to dress in ways that do not fit the purpose of what they are trying to accomplish in life! Their head is not where it needs to be. If you dress like a BUM you will play like a bum because it is a heart issue. Call it superficial if you want to but there is a link between what we wear and how we feel and act.
    Mentality of baseball players? Your kidding right? Have you spent any time with a bunch of ball players? The dress like a bum and play like a bum thought is about useless in baseball. Players are not going into an office and need to dress a certain way. I guess Rollie Fingers handle bar mustache kept him from being a Hall of Famer since he was all about how he looked...wait he did. Well that sloppy mullet Randy Johnson kept definitely limited his ability because he looked like a bum...no that didn?t happen either. Look baseball players are a different breed but to relate that they have to clean cut appearance and dressed identical to your perception to perform well...there is no evidence that is close to accurate. And many peoples preference of how a player should look is a bias perception of what they like. We can find many numerous examples of players or even whole teams that didn?t conform and performed at an extremely high level.

This guy performs pretty well
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 03-28-2021 at 11:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    The clothes are 8nd8cative of a larger issue.
    ^^^^^ POW!!!! That's a 50 cal going off.....Nail on the head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Mentality of baseball players? Your kidding right? Have you spent any time with a bunch of ball players? The dress like a bum and play like a bum thought is about useless in baseball. Players are not going into an office and need to dress a certain way. I guess Rollie Fingers handle bar mustache kept him from being a Hall of Famer since he was all about how he looked...wait he did. Well that sloppy mullet Randy Johnson kept definitely limited his ability because he looked like a bum...no that didn?t happen either. Look baseball players are a different breed but to relate that they have to clean cut appearance and dressed identical to your perception to perform well...there is no evidence that is close to accurate. And many peoples preference of how a player should look is a bias perception of what they like. We can find many numerous examples of players or even whole teams that didn?t conform and performed at an extremely high level.

This guy performs pretty well
    I was a baseball player! Let's leave it at that! Like I said it is not the clothes but the mentality that drives you to dress a certain - non normal or standard way or maby a not so normal but a non disrespectful way. Have respect for yourselves people! You think athletes "elite ones" are built from some certain mold that is not shared with other people of the world that are driven. I have been driven my entire life and I never once even though of disrespecting myself by the way I dressed in my field of endeavor.

vCash
    I was a baseball player! Let's leave it at that! Like I said it is not the clothes but the mentality that drives you to dress a certain - non normal or standard way or maby a not so normal but a non disrespectful way. Have respect for yourselves people! You think athletes "elite ones" are built from some certain mold that is not shared with other people of the world that are driven. I have been driven my entire life and I never once even though of disrespecting myself by the way I dressed in my field of endeavor.
    Drive is a major cog for success. No question. But that is internal and individualistic. Without getting too deep and I’m not talking the extremes but in that psychological spectrum you have the view you are expressing that has roots in a narcissistic viewpoint. And to be clear, my psychological make up shares that belief to a degree, like you. But many baseball players while having some or even many of the same traits of that view point, are also non-conformist and use that as an internal drive. I will succeed even if others think I don’t look the part. Then you have many who are just ballers, dirtbags who just live to play the game. All types have succeed in sport but baseball seems to have more fringe types with wider extremes of the psychological spectrum.

vCash
    Drive is a major cog for success. No question. But that is internal and individualistic. Without getting too deep and I’m not talking the extremes but in that psychological spectrum you have the view you are expressing that has roots in a narcissistic viewpoint. And to be clear, my psychological make up shares that belief to a degree, like you. But many baseball players while having some or even many of the same traits of that view point, are also non-conformist and use that as an internal drive. I will succeed even if others think I don’t look the part. Then you have many who are just ballers, dirtbags who just live to play the game. All types have succeed in sport but baseball seems to have more fringe types with wider extremes of the psychological spectrum.
    Consider the following article form the NY Times (a non traditional conservative newspaper) about how the way you dress affects the way you feel and perform.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/y...-the-walk.html

vCash
    Drive is a major cog for success. No question. But that is internal and individualistic. Without getting too deep and I?m not talking the extremes but in that psychological spectrum you have the view you are expressing that has roots in a narcissistic viewpoint. And to be clear, my psychological make up shares that belief to a degree, like you. But many baseball players while having some or even many of the same traits of that view point, are also non-conformist and use that as an internal drive. I will succeed even if others think I don?t look the part. Then you have many who are just ballers, dirtbags who just live to play the game. All types have succeed in sport but baseball seems to have more fringe types with wider extremes of the psychological spectrum.
    Consider the following article form the NY Times (not a conservative newspaper) about how the way you dress affects the way you feel and perform.

vCash
    Consider the following article form the NY Times (not a conservative newspaper) about how the way you dress affects the way you feel and perform.

Thats great and applies more appropriately to the situations described in the article. Which didn’t have any examples of how that does or does not apply to success as a baseball player. Any athlete for that matter. Especially how they look on the field.

Refer to my previous photo of how Justin Turner looks on the field. Most would equate that to this discussion, how he is dressed sloppy and like a bum. Many don’t like it. Now contrast that to how he looks when the team left to fly out for the NLDS in the below photo. He looks pretty sharply dressed.

How a player looks on the field and off can be completely separate. That was part of why I used Turner. He also dresses down in T-shirt’s etc., and none of that effects his performance on the field. The mind of many baseball players and how they can have true self-confidence in their ability goes so far beyond this broad stroke how you dress makes you successful mentality. It’s so so much more involved than that and only works with players who have that mindset to begin with. In fact applying this type exercise to someone that doesn’t have that thought pattern can really derail their performance as it’s false confidence.

There are 4 major mental make up components of a successful baseball player in the very broad sense. And this is universally agreed upon by sports psychologist and MLB team psychologist. Self-confidence (true belief that can and will succeed and that comes from many varied psychological mindsets), but the main part of this self confidence is it helps keeping the player from over thinking that hinders their action. Second, mental toughness, it’s a game of failure so a player has to deal with or even block failure from their mind. Third, stress and emotional management. And fourth a player needs to have a tendency to aggression. They want to act first instead of react after something happens. These are very broad strokes but a the essential starting points that teams use to evaluate players psychologically and sports psychologist use to start a profile into a player to help them down the path of finding what process helps them maximize their ability or help them over come road blocks that hinder their performance.

It may be that dressing well may help that player initiate a psychological state as a step to help them perform better. But for many it’s useless. Or useless concerning their on the field attire vs off the field. There is still truth to the adage that baseball players gain self confidence as they perform well. When you start having to equate having to look good off the field and on the field to have self confidence to play well, that leans much more to a female mindset and creates a false mindset among male athletes. In fact, psychologically with female athletes, softball players in particular, you have to really watch their self confidence out side the lines to get maximum performance. Confidence doesn’t come performance or not just performance. In general this is opposite for guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Heck- Brantley Jones wore an Archie Who? pin to the mound when Gregory was the coach.
    Brantley Jones was da man, no way you were born before this* LOL

vCash
    Bitter old guys on here bitching about how baseball players look and softball players cheer are just miserable 17rs stuck in the 1960s. The world and people change. It's time some of you do the same. People stuck in their own personal little ideals are short-sighted and need to evolve a little. Life is much more enjoyable when you do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Bitter old guys on here bitching about how baseball players look and softball players cheer are just miserable 17rs stuck in the 1960s. The world and people change. It's time some of you do the same. People stuck in their own personal little ideals are short-sighted and need to evolve a little. Life is much more enjoyable when you do.
    LOL kinda. Being old and having values that I was taught isn't the problem with my generation. Life isn't necessarily better these days, it's JMO.