Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vic or Gary

vCash

Vic or Gary

Something I thought about after watching 4th quarter and overtime win by Aggies women last night. Gary Blair is a great Coach. Very calm and discipline and coaches his butt off. In saying that, I realize he is the type of Coach I would want to play for. Keeps his emotions in check and you never see him "exploding" on his players like Vic seems to do. Now Vic is very intense and is a good Coach, but he isn't as consistent with dealing with the pressure down the stretch in making adjustments. Not slamming Vic in anyway except to say Gary is great where as Vic is good.
    I think Gary will last more than another year or two if he wants and stays healthy, dude won a National championship something Vic hasn't done.

vCash
    I’d take Vic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Something I thought about after watching 4th quarter and overtime win by Aggies women last night. Gary Blair is a great Coach. Very calm and discipline and coaches his butt off. In saying that, I realize he is the type of Coach I would want to play for. Keeps his emotions in check and you never see him "exploding" on his players like Vic seems to do. Now Vic is very intense and is a good Coach, but he isn't as consistent with dealing with the pressure down the stretch in making adjustments. Not slamming Vic in anyway except to say Gary is great where as Vic is good.
    I think Gary will last more than another year or two if he wants and stays healthy, dude won a National championship something Vic hasn't done.
    They are almost identical coaches, but Vic tends to wear his emotions more than Gary Blair. They both will fiercely defend their team. Gary Blair was really calling out the selection committee over Texas A&M being a #2 seed instead of a #1 seed. I imagine Gary Blair can get hot like Vic when the cameras aren't rolling.

vCash
    You can be a laidback head coach but you have to have an asshole coach on staff to balance things out. Cant have a staff of yellers...cant have a staff full of laidback people.

Its why Blair and Vic won a title together.
    Stands had Kirby
    Williams could be the asshole while Stands was the recruiter/buddy coach.
    Saban plays the Enforcer role perfectly- as does Belichek. Parcells and Ditka were very good.

Notice Jerry Jones rarely hires a strong personality as HC- Garrett, Chan Gailey, etc
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Who would I rather play for? Gary.
    Who would I rather want coaching the team I?m a fan of? Vic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'd take Vic all day every day, and you're smoking something if you don't think Vic is a great coach.

Blair won a title, but it was with Vic. They took a noticeable dip when Schaefer left, and Vic had clearly elevated State above A&M as a program. It's not at all a surprise that he has Texas back in the Sweet 16 in year 1, and I would imagine they'll quickly be an elite power.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Notice Jerry Jones rarely hires a strong personality as HC- Garrett, Chan Gailey, etc
    Jerry Jones also doesn't win anymore.

vCash
    I don't take it as Blair being soft, he won a Natty and he has always had really good assistants and that's a big plus. He also will let is assistant coach and he will listen. Dude is 75 years old and he is like that Bunny Rabbit that is still going strong.

vCash
    One was able to close out and win a National Championship. The other got his doors blown off the first chance and then blew a 13 point halftime lead a year later.

Give me the one that's proven they can win on the biggest stage.

vCash
    [QUOTE=smootness;1314154]I'd take Vic all day every day, and you're smoking something if you don't think Vic is a great coach.

Blair won a title, but it was with Vic. They took a noticeable dip when Schaefer left, and Vic had clearly elevated State above A&M as a program. It's not at all a surprise that he has Texas back in the Sweet 16 in year 1, and I would imagine they'll quickly be an elite power.[/QUOT

Vic had enough talent to win a Natty at Dear Ole State, great coaches win the big ones, I don't call being a good Coach a "knock", it's just what it is.

Blair is smart to hire good assistants as I've stated. look at the ones he has had on his previous staffs that have gone on to being good coaches. Tell me who Vic has had on staff moving on to success?

vCash
    I'm not knocking Vic, I just like Blair more overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You can be a laidback head coach but you have to have an asshole coach on staff to balance things out. Cant have a staff of yellers...cant have a staff full of laidback people.

Its why Blair and Vic won a title together.
    Stands had Kirby
    Williams could be the asshole while Stands was the recruiter/buddy coach.
    Saban plays the Enforcer role perfectly- as does Belichek. Parcells and Ditka were very good.

Totally agree. I've seen this and lived this in my experiences. Must be a balance too. Too much either way and there will be issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    One was able to close out and win a National Championship. The other got his doors blown off the first chance and then blew a 13 point halftime lead a year later.

Give me the one that's proven they can win on the biggest stage.
    Big difference - Blair had Vic. Not sure Vic the first time had as much talent as Blair had either. I've watched Blair lay some pretty good eggs since Vic left TAMU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Big difference - Blair had Vic. Not sure Vic the first time had as much talent as Blair had either. I've watched Blair lay some pretty good eggs since Vic left TAMU.
    Gary Blair has accomplished a whole lot over his career. I ahve to laugh when folks say butttttt so and so Coach had so and so for his assistant, ok but Blair was in control. Vic learned under Blair not the other way around but I'm sure Blair took in what Vic and other assistants thoughts were and used them. Smart man!

P.S. I hate Vic didn't retire at Msu, I like him for what he did for our program. Not sure we will get another "Vic".

Coaching record
    Statistics overview
    Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
    Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (Gulf Star Conference) (1985–1987)
    1985–86 Stephen F. Austin 16–12 7–3
    1986–87 Stephen F. Austin 25–6 9–1 1st WNIT
    Stephen F. Austin: 16–4 (.800)
    Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (Southland Conference) (1987–1993)
    1987–88 Stephen F. Austin 29–5 13–1 1st NCAA Second Round
    1988–89 Stephen F. Austin 30–4 13–1 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    1989–90 Stephen F. Austin 28–3 14–0 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    1990–91 Stephen F. Austin 25–6 14–0 1st NCAA Second Round
    1991–92 Stephen F. Austin 28–3 17–1 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    1992–93 Stephen F. Austin 28–5 17–1 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    Stephen F. Austin: 210–43 (.830) 88–4 (.957)
    Arkansas Ladybacks (Southeastern Conference) (1993–2003)
    1993–94 Arkansas 15–14 3–8 9th
    1994–95 Arkansas 23–7 7–4 T–4th NCAA Second Round
    1995–96 Arkansas 21–13 3–8 10th WNIT Fourth Place
    1996–97 Arkansas 18–10 5–7 T–7th
    1997–98 Arkansas 22–11 7–7 T–6th NCAA Final Four
    1998–99 Arkansas 20–14 5–9 11th WNIT Champions
    1999–00 Arkansas 17–15 4–10 10th WNIT Semifinals
    2000–01 Arkansas 20–13 6–8 T–6th NCAA Second Round
    2001–02 Arkansas 20–12 7–7 T–7th NCAA Second Round
    2002–03 Arkansas 22–11 7–7 7th NCAA Second Round
    Arkansas: 198–120 (.623) 54–75 (.419)
    Texas A&M Aggies (Big 12 Conference) (2003–2012)
    2003–04 Texas A&M 9–19 2–14 T–11th
    2004–05 Texas A&M 16–15 4–12 T–9th WNIT Quarterfinals
    2005–06 Texas A&M 23–9 11–5 3rd NCAA First Round
    2006–07 Texas A&M 25–7 13–3 T–1st NCAA Second Round
    2007–08 Texas A&M 29–8 11–5 T–3rd NCAA Elite Eight
    2008–09 Texas A&M 27–8 11–5 T–3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    2009–10 Texas A&M 26–8 10–6 T–4th NCAA Second Round
    2010–11 Texas A&M 33–5 13–3 2nd NCAA Champions
    2011–12 Texas A&M 24–11 11–7 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    Texas A&M: 212–90 (.702) 86–60 (.589)
    Texas A&M Aggies (Southeastern Conference) (2012–present)
    2012–13 Texas A&M 25–10 11–5 T–4th NCAA Second Round
    2013–14 Texas A&M 27–9 13–3 T–2nd NCAA Elite Eight
    2014–15 Texas A&M 23–10 10–6 T–4th NCAA First Round
    2015–16 Texas A&M 22–10 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Second Round
    2016–17 Texas A&M 22–12 9-7 6th NCAA Second Round
    2017–18 Texas A&M 26–10 11-5 T-4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    2018–19 Texas A&M 26–8 12-4 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
    2019–20 Texas A&M 22–7 10–6 T–3rd Postseason not held due to COVID-19
    2020–21 Texas A&M 23–2 13–1 1st NCAA
    Texas A&M: 428–169 (.717) 100–42 (.704)
    Total: 836–332 (.716)
    National champion Postseason invitational champion
    Conference regular season champion Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
    Division regular season champion Division regular season and conference tournament champion
    Conference tournament champion

vCash
    It'd take Gary the Snail from Spongebob over what we've got.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It'd take Gary the Snail from Spongebob over what we've got.
    LOL, u win!

vCash
    There is no difference. Vic had (and still does) Harris. Without Harris, McCowan doesn't develop into the dominant player she became.

I have yet to see anyone say that we lost the National Championship because the assistant coaches didn't make the needed adjustments. The head coach gets the credit and gets the blame. The fact is and will remain that Vic choked when it mattered and Blair didn't.

vCash
    There is no difference. Vic had (and still does) Harris. Without Harris, McCowan doesn't develop into the dominant player she became.

I have yet to see anyone say that we lost the National Championship because the assistant coaches didn't make the needed adjustments. The head coach gets the credit and gets the blame. The fact is and will remain that Vic choked when it mattered and Blair didn't.
    Ssshhhh.....quiet down with that now!! The women's basketball cult will get you if you slander their hero Vic Schaefer. Even though up 17 in a championship game with Notre Dame unable to even bring the ball up the court he took out his two best defenders to put in his daughter and her best friend so they could have a Kodak moment. But no one talks about that.

vCash

Can you listen to yourself. So assistant coaches when it is Vic don't matter but assistant coaches matter when it is Harris developing TM?

You just gave yourself no credibility there with that double standard.

Both are totally different situations.

To others I never said Blair wasn't a good coach but I've watched TAMU and them lay some major eggs. Vic laid a few but every coach does. So Vic gets no credit for Uconn win & Baylor and doing this at a school MSU that was like dead last in SEC in forever. Blair got to build his over time at a school with unlimited resources. Don't tell me there is no difference. The whole coaching staff matters of which Vic was a major part of TAMU winning it.

vCash
    Can you listen to yourself. So assistant coaches when it is Vic don't matter but assistant coaches matter when it is Harris developing TM?

You just gave yourself no credibility there with that double standard.

Both are totally different situations.

To others I never said Blair wasn't a good coach but I've watched TAMU and them lay some major eggs. Vic laid a few but every coach does. So Vic gets no credit for Uconn win & Baylor and doing this at a school MSU that was like dead last in SEC in forever. Blair got to build his over time at a school with unlimited resources. Don't tell me there is no difference. The whole coaching staff matters of which Vic was a major part of TAMU winning it.
    You're twisting words at this point. I'll settle it with a quick question: How many threads here have been started blaming our women's season on NMP or her assistant coaches?