Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 days till greatest day of the Year question

vCash

8 days till greatest day of the Year question

For baseball geeks. What is the greatest team of the 1970s? My hint Sparky, Charlie Hustle and Senior.

vCash
    Oakland A's will give you a run for that money. Reds won more regular season games, but the A's are the only 70s team to win 3 World Series.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I didn't realize you were so excited about our series against Kentucky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Oakland A's will give you a run for that money. Reds won more regular season games, but the A's are the only 70s team to win 3 World Series.
    I absolutely hated the A's but i believe you're right. They were dominant for the early and mid 70s. When I was a kid we lived in Phoenix and my dad used to take me to a lot of spring training games, saw those A's team a lot back then and saw Hank play for the Brewers against them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I absolutely hated the A's but i believe you're right. They were dominant for the early and mid 70s. When I was a kid we lived in Phoenix and my dad used to take me to a lot of spring training games, saw those A's team a lot back then and saw Hank play for the Brewers against them.
    Hated the Yankees till Reggie Jackson went there. Hated them again when he left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    I didn't realize you were so excited about our series against Kentucky.
    Good one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Hated the Yankees till Reggie Jackson went there. Hated them again when he left.
    I got Reggie, Hanks and Sal Bando autograph all on the same day after a spring training game. Was a good day for a baseball loving kid like me!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    A's were my "other" team after the Braves in the 70s and early 80s - especially when they had Rickey Henderson. Liked the early 80s Royals too.

vCash
    For baseball geeks. What is the greatest team of the 1970s? My hint Sparky, Charlie Hustle and Senior.
    '75 World Series against the Red Sox is the best ever IMHO

vCash
    The "Swinging" A's were the best of the 70's in my opinion although the Reds should have won more than just the two World Series. I was never a fan of the National League esp Pete Rose. I fell in love with the 75 Red Sox along with my neighbor and life long friend Alan Lord so been a part of Red Sox Nation for quite a while.

vCash
    I always wondered what the early 70's Pirates would've done if Roberto would've lived.

vCash
    I always wondered what the early 70's Pirates would've done if Roberto would've lived.
    I don't know that they would have done much more. As great as Clemente was - he was already 37 when he died after the '72 season. I think his loss affected the '73 team mentally for sure - just like the loss of Munson was a gut punch to the Yanks later in the decade.

vCash
    Man, so many memories in this thread. I don't remember much about the A's other than Rollie Fingers but Reds/Red Sox, Reggie (with the Yankees), Munson...... I was more of a George Brett/Al Hrabosky guy.

vCash
    Of course the Greatest moment of the 70s was when Mr. Kotter made Vinnie Barbarino Give Reggie back the 3rd ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Man, so many memories in this thread. I don't remember much about the A's other than Rollie Fingers but Reds/Red Sox, Reggie (with the Yankees), Munson...... I was more of a George Brett/Al Hrabosky guy.
    Ahhh - The Mad Hungarian! Loved the late 70s early 80s Braves, even though they were terrible. Give me Gary Matthews, Jeff Burroughs and Biff Pocaroba!

vCash
    The answer is "The Big Red Machine".......That '75 WS against the Red Sox is one of the best ever.........There were five, 1 run games out of the seven.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Clemente's last hit was his 3000th...

What a GREAT man and such a tragic loss...

vCash
    1976 Reds were the best individual team in that decade.

The Kansas City Royals were underrated good though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    The answer is "The Big Red Machine".......That '75 WS against the Red Sox is one of the best ever.........There were five, 1 run games out of the seven.......
    Regardless of how great the '75 Series was (I think '91 was still better), relative to the talent on the team, the Reds underachieved. The Reds had HOF's Bench, Morgan, Perez, Seaver (albeit was added after their WS wins) plus Rose. So they had arguably the greatest catcher ever, 3 HOF infielders, the all-time leader in hits (banned from the HOF), a borderline HOF in Concepcion at SS, and then added the best pitcher of their generation in '77, and only won 2 WS. Their weak link was their pitching wasn't up to the standard that their offense was.

The A's had only 3 HOF's in Catfish Hunter, Rollie Fingers (who essentially invented the Closer roll), and Reggie Jackson - and they made the postseason just as many times and won 3 WS (including beating the Reds in '72).
    But, as has always been the way of the A's - even back in Philly and KC - they couldn't afford to keep their team together and the Yankees used their players to win in '77 & '78.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Deleted.....
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)