Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 days till greatest day of the Year question

vCash
    I would agree about the Red's pitching but if you look at the greatest individual teams the '75 and '76 Reds team are generally consensus top 10 of all time. Those A's team (albeit damn good) are usually not considered in that group amongst baseball historians. Don't get get me wrong, they weren't the '27 yanks and or even the '39 yanks but they were the best team of the 70's, IMO. My personal fave though is the 70's Orioles. That was a damn good team that I don't think gets the credit they deserve from a historical perspective.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I would agree about the Red's pitching but if you look at the greatest individual teams the '75 and '76 Reds team are generally consensus top 10 of all time. Those A's team (albeit damn good) are usually not considered in that group amongst baseball historians. Don't get get me wrong, they weren't the '27 yanks and or even the '39 yanks but they were the best team of the 70's, IMO. My personal fave though is the 70's Orioles. That was a damn good team that I don't think gets the credit they deserve from a historical perspective.
    It think it is real similar to the argument about the team of the 1990s - you have the Braves with 3 HOF pitchers (one the best of his generation), HOF Chipper, HOF Manager, multiple MVPs and CYs, borderline HOFs in McGriff and Andruw, 8 years in the postseason and most wins in the decade - but that single WS win leaves them behind the Yankees 3 and even the Blue Jays 2. To me, I measure the best team of a decade by post season successes. And even as much of a Braves homer as I am - the Yankees getting those 3 rings will always make me admit there is an argument for them being the "Team of the 90s" instead of the Braves.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Day 6 Question Best overall player of the 70s??

Dam have fun with this one. Reggie Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    It think it is real similar to the argument about the team of the 1990s - you have the Braves with 3 HOF pitchers (one the best of his generation), HOF Chipper, HOF Manager, multiple MVPs and CYs, borderline HOFs in McGriff and Andruw, 8 years in the postseason and most wins in the decade - but that single WS win leaves them behind the Yankees 3 and even the Blue Jays 2. To me, I measure the best team of a decade by post season successes. And even as much of a Braves homer as I am - the Yankees getting those 3 rings will always make me admit there is an argument for them being the "Team of the 90s" instead of the Braves.
    If wohlers doesn’t hang a slider then there is no debate...but as it stands I’d have to agree with you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Day 6 Question Best overall player of the 70s??

Dam have fun with this one. Reggie Jackson.
    7 year old me would say Gary Matthews - because he was the first player I loved as a kid. But, kids don't always take to the best player (I can still do Sarge's batting stance).

The NL fan in my wants to say Pops - Willie Stargell. Yeah, Reggie was Mr. October with the Yankees. But, Pops hit more HR, struck out less, had higher BA, OBP, SLG and OPS. He was also a superior OF to Reggie at his peak. Stargell was also "old" - was 30 at the beginning of the decade, so the last half he was a fat first baseman and won an MVP at 39, which makes what he did in the 70s pretty damn good in my book.

That being said. Money on the line - I want Reggie at the plate.

On the mound - give me Jim Palmer.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    7 year old me would say Gary Matthews - because he was the first player I loved as a kid. But, kids don't always take to the best player (I can still do Sarge's batting stance).

The NL fan in my wants to say Pops - Willie Stargell. Yeah, Reggie was Mr. October with the Yankees. But, Pops hit more HR, struck out less, had higher BA, OBP, SLG and OPS. He was also a superior OF to Reggie at his peak. Stargell was also "old" - was 30 at the beginning of the decade, so the last half he was a fat first baseman and won an MVP at 39, which makes what he did in the 70s pretty damn good in my book.

That being said. Money on the line - I want Reggie at the plate.

On the mound - give me Jim Palmer.
    On the mound oh tough one. But give me Tom Terrific. I hated the Orioles even though I think they had the best 3rd baseman ever.

vCash
    Ahhh - The Mad Hungarian! Loved the late 70s early 80s Braves, even though they were terrible. Give me Gary Matthews, Jeff Burroughs and Biff Pocaroba!
    Man, the stories I could tell about Hrabosky's antics from just the one game I saw him pitch. He was the best.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Now here is a pitcher who was great then got hurt. Mark "the Bird" Fydrich. He had that one great year. The kid from Miami, Dontrelle Willis, reminds me of him.