Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The final 1:19 of Texas vs Abilene Christian, took 17 minutes..

vCash

The final 1:19 of Texas vs Abilene Christian, took 17 minutes..

want to "fix" college basketball. Start there.

vCash
    Smart made 5 ncaa tournies in 6 years at vcu. In those 5, he made it past the 1st round 3 times with 1 being a final 4. At Texas, he's made the ncaa tourney 3 out of 5. Out of those 3, he hasn't made it past the 1st round.

This is completely unrelated to your post, but I do find it interesting when everyone is ready to jump on with the new, hot name

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Amen to that! That's insane, that it takes that kind of time! I've got to where I only watch the last 5 minutes of a college basketball game now.

vCash
    Remember the game MSU played at Auburn three or four years ago? The final minute of the game took something like 34 minutes. There was at least one instance where MSU and Auburn both shot free throws and no time went off the clock in between. It was the worst I've ever seen.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    How do you fix it? When your season is on the line, you have to try and extend game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    How do you fix it? When your season is on the line, you have to try and extend game
    I don't know. It needs to be looked at though. Less timeouts. Less reivews. Faster reviews. Something. This ending was not an anomaly, it's the norm.

vCash
    Less timeouts for sure would speed it up or just make some a clock stoppage timeout only.

vCash
    Yes to how many time outs allowed, but I'd love to see no timeouts with less than a minute to play added! Talk about speed the game up!

vCash
    Starting with 2:00 left in the game, have a 10 second run-off every time a foul is committed by the trailing team. That will speed it up a little.

vCash
    Elam Ending.

vCash
    This has always been my problem with basketball. It's set up for the endings to be terrible and for the losing team to actually be at an advantage because they can trade 1-2 points for 3. The fact that the losing team can dictate what the winning team does on offense is a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Starting with 2:00 left in the game, have a 10 second run-off every time a foul is committed by the trailing team. That will speed it up a little.
    Yep! Only edit I would add is if the trailing fouls a shooter, no 10 second run off. If it is a foul on the floor, 10 seconds.

vCash
    Smart made 5 ncaa tournies in 6 years at vcu. In those 5, he made it past the 1st round 3 times with 1 being a final 4. At Texas, he's made the ncaa tourney 3 out of 5. Out of those 3, he hasn't made it past the 1st round.

This is completely unrelated to your post, but I do find it interesting when everyone is ready to jump on with the new, hot name
    Smart may be a very good coach. Sometimes a football name on a basketball jersey doesn't mean success.

vCash
    When the final 1-2 minutes in games are slowed down and last for 10-15 it means 99% of the time the games outcome is still uncertain
    Isn’t that why you watch games other than to pull for your team or if you have action on it.?? for the dramatic ending

They have taken away one timeout for teams already and they replaced another timeout with the use it or lose it first half timeout

Football and baseball are both longer in time than basketball

Yes most reviews take too long.. Only way to change that is to eliminate it or give the officials X amount of time once they start the review. And at least nothing can be reviewed unless it’s inside 2 minutes.. they did get that right

I was just waiting for someone to blame Howland for this... ***

vCash
    How much of the fundamental nature of the game would change if every double bonus free throw went from two automatic shots to one shot and possession?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Smart may be a very good coach. Sometimes a football name on a basketball jersey doesn't mean success.
    Since 2000, Texas has made the tourney 18 times (18/21 - .857). In those 21 appearances, they won 1 game 10 times (10/21 - .476). Smart is 3/5 in tourney appearances (3/5 - .600). In those 3 appearances, he's won 1 game 0 times (0/3 - .000). So, take smart out, and since 2000, Texas has made the tourney 15/16 (.938) and won 1 game 10/16 (.625).

Keep in mind, smart was the hottest name out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    When the final 1-2 minutes in games are slowed down and last for 10-15 it means 99% of the time the games outcome is still uncertain
    Isn’t that why you watch games other than to pull for your team or if you have action on it.?? for the dramatic ending

They have taken away one timeout for teams already and they replaced another timeout with the use it or lose it first half timeout

Football and baseball are both longer in time than basketball

Yes most reviews take too long.. Only way to change that is to eliminate it or give the officials X amount of time once they start the review. And at least nothing can be reviewed unless it’s inside 2 minutes.. they did get that right

I was just waiting for someone to blame Howland for this... ***
    The problem is that it may be a close game, so theoretically exciting...except the reason it's so slowed down is because a huge part of it is just free throws and dead time. That's not exciting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The problem is that it may be a close game, so theoretically exciting...except the reason it's so slowed down is because a huge part of it is just free throws and dead time. That's not exciting.
    Look at it like this .
    Football is played for 60 minutes
    How much of that 60 minutes is actual live action? Maybe 1/8
    I bet there are more commercial breaks during a football game than basketball.

Maybe college hoops isn’t your cup of tea.. and that’s fine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Look at it like this .
    Football is played for 60 minutes
    How much of that 60 minutes is actual live action? Maybe 1/8
    I bet there are more commercial breaks during a football game than basketball.

Maybe college hoops isn’t your cup of tea.. and that’s fine
    College football has gotten boring as hell too. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, rando

vCash
    Would advancing the ball to half court on a TO help?