Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball

vCash

Baseball

Always good when you can take a series on the road in the SEC.

I like MacLeod and Smith on Friday, and Bednar/Johnson/Sims on Saturday.

Fristoe needs to be the Sunday starter.

One takeaway, Landon Sims is too good to only pitch 2 innings in a series.

Hopefully the bats will come around, big series vs. Arkansas this coming weekend.

vCash
    If we had the lead from about the fourth inning or so today, I would think Lemonis would have given him 2 or 3 innings if we really needed him.

vCash
    Johnson makes me nervous. How much has he even pitched this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Johnson makes me nervous. How much has he even pitched this year
    Koestler didn't show me much today either. Seemed kinda erratic to me from the first pitch on.

vCash
    We should have started Fristoe over Cerentola. I have no idea why we didn't. Fristoe has consistently outperformed Cerentola.

I think we win if we start Fristoe.

vCash
    Now that we're rolling into SEC action, Lemonis needs to realize that, just like in basketball you can't play 11 McDonalds All-Americans (you've got to settle on a 8- or 9-man rotation).

He needs to define the rolls of the pitching staff starting with MacLeod, Bednar & Fristoe on Fri/Sat/Sun at SPer. Brandon Smith needs to be primary setup with Landon Sims the closer. Supplement the middle innings with Preston Johnson, Stennett, etc.

Had we not given up 2 ERs in the 1st inning by starting Cerantola, this game would've unfolded completely different imo.

But hey, we should still be #2 in most polls come tomorrow given Arky losing 3 straight this week.

vCash
    Macleod and smith
    Bednar and sims (even though they are similar)
    Fristoe and Johnson and stinnet

Piece the rest together. I'd be fine switching the sat and sun relievers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We should have started Fristoe over Cerentola. I have no idea why we didn't. Fristoe has consistently outperformed Cerentola.

Fristoe had absolutely earned the right to start today. Cerentola is just a liability on our staff right now because he gives away runs and, in the SEC, we don't have enough offense to make up for it. Look, if you look shaky starting against Tulane and Kent State in Starkville, that should tell you all you need to know about what a guy is likely to do starting in Baton Rouge against LSU. And he is so easily shaken that even if he looks good for an inning or two he may totally lose it the next and give away 2 or 3 runs. Today he gave away 2 runs in an inning without LSU getting a hit OR our defense committing an error. That is pretty hard to do.

vCash
    As someone mentioned the other day, I think Harding should be moved to SEC relief. He would probably fit good between a couple of the harder throwers. Bednar-Harding-Sims for example. That is one more reliable strike thrower that can get outs against good teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Always good when you can take a series on the road in the SEC.

I like MacLeod and Smith on Friday, and Bednar/Johnson/Sims on Saturday.

Fristoe needs to be the Sunday starter.

One takeaway, Landon Sims is too good to only pitch 2 innings in a series.

Hopefully the bats will come around, big series vs. Arkansas this coming weekend.
    Honestly, I?d rather have Harding on Sunday. He doesn?t have the power arm of Fristoe but he?s more experienced, knows how to pitch and has pitched in bigger games. I?d move Fristoe to mid week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Honestly, I?d rather have Harding on Sunday. He doesn?t have the power arm of Fristoe but he?s more experienced, knows how to pitch and has pitched in bigger games. I?d move Fristoe to mid week.
    I'll go opposite. Fristoe is electric w decent command that will only get better. Will he have a hiccup? Sure. But so will Harding. And that's not a knock on Houston I like him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Just no way do you move Fristoe to mid-week. We don't even have that many tough mid week games left. You have to do whats best to win 3 games in an SEC weekend, a regional, and Super. You have to stack your best arms on the weekends.

vCash
    And now that the meat of our mid week games are over I think you'll see Harding on the roster for sec weekends. For the most part.
    Last edited by Homedawg; 03-21-2021 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Disagreement welcome - it seems to me that the starter sets the tone. Its hard to completely change the game with relief.

If B Smith and Sims are out of circulation by Sunday, its even less likely to put the offense back under control. I think Harding is the best Sunday we have. Using him on Samford is nuts to me, if that means EC against ranked SEC teams

vCash
    Don’t forget about Cade Smith ...
    I hope he gets innings Tuesday

Give him a few midweek games and innings and could factor into the weekend bullpen sooner than later.

3 runs on Sunday isn’t going to get it done.. As good as our pitching is top to bottom we better swing the bats better.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 03-21-2021 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    And now that the meat of our mid week games are over I think you'll see Harding on the roster for sec weekends. For the most part.
    Was Harding not in Baton Rouge?

vCash
    I feel like our hitting is about to come around... We are putting the ball in play, not a ton of strikeouts.
    Got to think Allen and Rowdey are about to heat up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    I feel like our hitting is about to come around... We are putting the ball in play, not a ton of strikeouts.
    Got to think Allen and Rowdey are about to heat up.
    Allen is hitting .303. 2nd on the team.

our 1 and 2 hole hitters are both below .245. That's a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Don’t forget about Cade Smith ...
    I hope he gets innings Tuesday

Give him a few midweek games and innings and could factor into the weekend bullpen sooner than later.

3 runs on Sunday isn’t going to get it done.. As good as our pitching is top to bottom we better swing the bats better.
    We have too many guys underperforming expectations or batting expectations for their batting-order-position. Dubrule is a pesky and interesting #9 but seems not a #1.

Rowdey and Hatcher are supposed to be All SEC level bats. They are the key guys to improve.

Hancock and Tanner are supposed to be 300 and Above. Both are doing well, just wish for more.

Leggett might push into platoon with Dubrule, totally unexpected

Skinner had a dream start, but faded in game 2 and 3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    We have too many guys underperforming expectations or batting expectations for their batting-order-position. Dubrule is a pesky and interesting #9 but seems not a #1.

Rowdey and Hatcher are supposed to be All SEC level bats. They are the key guys to improve.

Hancock and Tanner are supposed to be 300 and Above. Both are doing well, just wish for more.

Leggett might push into platoon with Dubrule, totally unexpected

Skinner had a dream start, but faded in game 2 and 3
    Hatcher had 2 great AB's Friday night. I thought he was about to get going. Then had a rough Sat and Sunday. 0-7.