Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porter Moser- Loyola Chicago Coach

vCash
    I mean, sure, that'd be great. But there's no way we'd get him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skadoosh14 View Post
    I mean, sure, that'd be great. But there's no way we'd get him.
    For some reason, our fans think we can pull these hot names. What up-and-comer or established guy wants to come to our empty stadium for bottom of the barrel sec money in aging facilities with no fertile recruiting grounds? This is not a very good job, and we have crazy expectations if howland has performed at a level that deserves firing.

vCash
    Anyone that suggests we fire Howland has lost their mind- no one would touch this job with a 10 ft. pole if we fired a man with Howland's resume. He has gotten us back to Stansbury level. That's really all we can ask from him. Our job looks a whole lot better now than it did 6 years ago. He's done good here, but it is time for him to retire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Hearing that but also hearing administration and some others aren't gonna let that happen. Stevens is 1
    Weren?t you also ?hearing? that something was being set up to move on from Howland weeks ago? Lol

vCash
    Howland will be our coach until he retires.

vCash
    Hearing that but also hearing administration and some others aren't gonna let that happen. Stevens is 1
    LOL. They aren't getting Stevens. LOL.

vCash
    Craig Smith, Utah State
    Richie Riley, South Alabama
    Bob Richey, Furman
    Wes Miller, UNCG
    Mark Pope, BYU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Weren?t you also ?hearing? that something was being set up to move on from Howland weeks ago? Lol
    Hahahaha. Yeah you got me. I don't know anything....By all means please let us know what your contacts are saying? That's right you have none...

vCash
    Hahahaha. Yeah you got me. I don't know anything....By all means please let us know what your contacts are saying? That's right you have none...
    Better to have none and know it than to continue posting stuff like you have some ?sources? and continually show you actually don?t..... I could continually post ?I?m hearing? crap all the time too. But I don?t. Because I don?t act like I have ?sources?...

vCash
    Better to have none and know it than to continue posting stuff like you have some ?sources? and continually show you actually don?t..... I could continually post ?I?m hearing? crap all the time too. But I don?t. Because I don?t act like I have ?sources?...
    For sure!!!

vCash
    Craig Smith, Utah State
    Richie Riley, South Alabama
    Bob Richey, Furman
    Wes Miller, UNCG
    Mark Pope, BYU
    This is the most realistic list that I've seen since all these threads have been started. I'd also probably add Kyle Keller at Stephen F Austin. He's really built upon what Underwood got going there and has had them rolling. They're 44-8 in the last two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Howland will be our coach until he retires.
    I have a feeling we make tourney next year, and howland heads back west after the season to lay out on the beach or whatever he does

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I have a feeling we make tourney next year, and howland heads back west after the season to lay out on the beach or whatever he does
    This is the best possible outcome for us. Make the tournament and win a game or two and Howland retires and we're able to hire in a lot better position than 2012....or 2016 for that matter. We just got lucky and Howland fell into our lap.

vCash
    The attitude that we can't do better because our program is a crappy job is exactly why we don't do better and it remains a crappy job. I don't know what else to say.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    The attitude that we can't do better because our program is a crappy job is exactly why we don't do better and it remains a crappy job. I don't know what else to say.
    Our program is a hard job... it just is. Howland has done a solid, not great job. To fire him this year would be utterly ridiculous. Reality is reality.

vCash
    Our program is a hard job... it just is. Howland has done a solid, not great job. To fire him this year would be utterly ridiculous. Reality is reality.
    and not every up and coming coach wants to live in Starkville.

vCash
    The best case scenario would be for Howland to keep this group together in the off season and take us to be about a 6 seed. Win a game or two in the tournment and retire. Then hire Kyle Keller, Wes Miller, Darian DeVries type. I think one of those three would be realistic and could build on what Howland has done

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    and not every up and coming coach wants to live in Starkville.
    The big reason is MS just doesn't produce basketball talent consistently enough. If there was only 1 MS school, it might be easier, but with 3 there just isn't the talent to go around. And getting that talent to MS from out of state ain't easy. Why do you think Stans had such a dirty rep and everyone jokes about "juicy jumbos" Why did Donnie Tyndall have to cheat like he did at USM to win in CUSA? Because without going "all in" we ain't gonna get there. We aren't unique in this situation in the south - most of the SEC has reserved their "all-in" for football. They occasionally play at being "all in" in basketball, but ultimately a coach leaves and the program and network fall apart and they wander in the wilderness trying to be decent again. It's why no one other than Kentucky has been able to be consistently above average for more than a decade or so.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is the most realistic list that I've seen since all these threads have been started. I'd also probably add Kyle Keller at Stephen F Austin. He's really built upon what Underwood got going there and has had them rolling. They're 44-8 in the last two years.
    The best thing I?ve read in a while on hiring a new basketball HC is don?t hire a coach based off their NCAAT runs (probably what I woulda done prior to reading this). If you wouldn?t hire them March 1st, don?t hire them April 1st. Look at their full body of work in the regular season and conference tournaments. Don?t hire someone based off a run in the NCAAT one season.

All those guys I listed are guys who have taken their no-name small schools and built them into a year in-year out winner of their conference more times than not and they go on into the NCAAT and cause some problems for teams that severely outmatch them physically and skill wise. I love Craig Smith but idk about his offensive philosophy. Richie Riley has done really really well at USA and Wes Miller has done a heck of a job at UNCG and gave FSU a scare in the 1st round. Pope at BYU might be more than we could pull off. There?s some really good young, up and coming coaches at smaller schools that could be our Nate Oats or our Eric Musselman who play and fun, exciting style of basketball.

vCash
    The best thing I?ve read in a while on hiring a new basketball HC is don?t hire a coach based off their NCAAT runs
    Correct. It always cracks me up when every year the hot names listed on message boards like these are just the coaches of lower-seeded teams who won a game or 2 in that year's tournament.