Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Babe is the GOAT and non believers are foolin' themselves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Oh, so my book is a outdated? is that all you got?
    He doesn't even hold the record. Bonds does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Walter Johnson is considered the consensus best of all time by most. Even adjusting with today?s metrics. Bob Feller, Tom Seaver, Left Grove, bunch of greats. Mariano Rivera has to up there even though he was a closer.
    Let's dont leave out Nolan Ryan. Had he played for some better teams in his career- he would have won 400 games.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Let's dont leave out Nolan Ryan. Had he played for some better teams in his career- he would have won 400 games.
    Well no but the poster I responded to had mentioned Ryan already. Kofax was already mentioned as well but wish he had pitched longer. To always be in this conversation with such a short career is pretty amazing.

vCash
    Well no but the poster I responded to had mentioned Ryan already. Kofax was already mentioned as well but wish he had pitched longer. To always be in this conversation with such a short career is pretty amazing.
    Koufax has the best stuff I have ever seen (on video). He retired at 30 and had he pitched another 10 years there is no telling what his numbers would have looked like. I highly doubt his arm would have help up though.

Really admire Koufax for standing up for his religious beliefs as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Tiger woods did.
    Team vs individual sports is different. The only comparable to Ruth in baseball is 2001-2004 Bonds as far as being so far above the league norm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Team vs individual sports is different. The only comparable to Ruth in baseball is 2001-2004 Bonds as far as being so far above the league norm.
    Really? I mean from 2001-2004 Bonds lead the league in HR?s just once when he hit 73. Sosa hit 64 that same year with like 2-3 more guys over 50. Statistically with metrics he had some of the best seasons by those measurements but he wasn?t close to lapping the rest of field like Ruth did. If you go by WAR, both Ruth and Mays had better 5 year stretch?s than Bonds 2000-2004 years. If you are comparing with their contemporary peers, you have a strong case that Pedro Martinez in the late 90?s early 2000?s was actually a fair amount more dominate than other pitchers vs Bonds against other position players. Especially looking at his ERA+ numbers. Also, some of the other numbers like FIP lead many to believe that as great as he was, it should have been even better with a little better defense behind him.

vCash
    Really? I mean from 2001-2004 Bonds lead the league in HR?s just once when he hit 73. Sosa hit 64 that same year with like 2-3 more guys over 50. Statistically with metrics he had some of the best seasons by those measurements but he wasn?t close to lapping the rest of field like Ruth did. If you go by WAR, both Ruth and Mays had better 5 year stretch?s than Bonds 2000-2004 years. If you are comparing with their contemporary peers, you have a strong case that Pedro Martinez in the late 90?s early 2000?s was actually a fair amount more dominate than other pitchers vs Bonds against other position players. Especially looking at his ERA+ numbers. Also, some of the other numbers like FIP lead many to believe that as great as he was, it should have been even better with a little better defense behind him.
    Don't forget how much Bonds was just put on 1st base - he was walked with the bases loaded! Sammy Sosa can't compare, not even close.

vCash
    Walter Johnson is considered the consensus best of all time by most. Even adjusting with today?s metrics. Bob Feller, Tom Seaver, Left Grove, bunch of greats. Mariano Rivera has to up there even though he was a closer.
    I'll add also that the guys like Walter Johnson didn't have the pitcher friendly strike zone a lot of these other ones did.

vCash
    This is the kind of thread I come to ED for. One of the best...
    Babe is the best all around ball player to ever play, way ahead of his time. You can't compare eras, you compare players against their peers, and the Babe was so far ahead of everyone else, just ridiculous.
    Admittingly, I enjoyed the "steroid era", and watched alot of ball back then. Today's MLB doesn't interest me as much.