Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Babe is the GOAT and non believers are foolin' themselves

Banned
    vCash
    Bonds had the strongest wrists and forearms I've ever seen in a batter's box

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Not in person.
    This all day long. Going to any game no matter what level it is is better than watching it on TV. I love going to the minor league game in Biloxi, jabbering with the opposing players, eating the food and experiencing ambience of the stands and field can't be beat. And oh if JR never got hurt he would have both HR records.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Great accumulator but not the same top-end levels as these others. I'd put Aaron in the Stan Musial sphere, a level below Gehrig/Mantle range.
    I have to disagree. And I know it?s peoples opinions but Hank is 3rd in hits all time and 1st in RBI?s to go along with his HR?s and he didn?t strikeout a ton either. I?m not saying he is ahead of Babe, Williams or Cobb but he has to be in the discussion of Top 6 pure hitters of all time.

vCash
    Not in person.
    Well thank you captain obvious, maybe we rename you ToddWaterIsWet or ToddSkyIsBlue.

No the broader point is that strikeouts, walks, and the occasional home run are yawnfests. I like what they are doing experimenting in the minors with some "pro-action" policies.

vCash
    Well thank you captain obvious, maybe we rename you ToddWaterIsWet or ToddSkyIsBlue.

No the broader point is that strikeouts, walks, and the occasional home run are yawnfests. I like what they are doing experimenting in the minors with some "pro-action" policies.
    If they're really serious about improving the product and being proactive they need to start letting computers call the strike zone instead of letting the Angel Hernandez's of the world use MLB as their attention whore platform.

And then that needs to trickle down to SEC/CWS umpires ASAP after that.

Nothing is worse than losing in a championship setting because an umpire has his head up his ass- like the one that called the MSU/Louisville game in Omaha two years ago. Or losing a WS game in large part because of a blown call that would have been overturned with replay like the Cardinals in 1985.

vCash
    If they're really serious about improving the product and being proactive they need to start letting computers call the strike zone instead of letting the Angel Hernandez's of the world use MLB as their attention whore platform.
    Agree. They also need to end the replay of "did the runner slightly come off the bag for a split second and therefore is out" replay. Replay should only be used in plays at 1st, did the fielder catch the ball or did it hit the ground, and scoring plays.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well that isn't true.
    Oh, so my book is a outdated? is that all you got?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    only with steroids. Pre-steroids- Bonds was just very good. it was a very noticeable difference. Put Babe Ruth on steroids and lets see what happens
    Babe was on beer.

vCash
    Umm, the Baby Ruth candy bar was named after Grover Cleveland's daughter, not Babe Ruth.

vCash
    Hell....I thought this was about Babe McCarthy.....the best basketball coach MSU ever had!!
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    It?s hard to compare eras. I think you have to compare players to their peers at the time. I think the runner up on HR the year The Babe hit 60 had 15! Incredible!

vCash
    Ted Williams is the greatest hitter that ever lived. The babe, Mays, Aaron are all at the top as well.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Ted Williams missing prime years to be a fighter pilot is amazing too

vCash
    Slight change in direction:

Randy Johnson is the greatest pitcher of all time.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Has anyone ever separated themselves that far from their playin' peers?
    Tiger woods did.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Bonds had the strongest wrists and forearms I've ever seen in a batter's box
    Other than Hank Aaron.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash

He may be. Cy Young pitched like 500 complete games.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman View Post
    except for a sprinkler head, Mickey Mantle would have had more impressive statistics even though his stats were not too shabby anyway
    Mantle, Ruth, Williams, Mays and Cobb were All great. Hell, I will throw Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Cobb, Arod, Ken G Jr, and Rose in there as well.
    When you talk about the greatest player there are really only 3-4 players that make the conversation. The coolest thing is to talk about who are the 5-25 best players.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash

He's certainly up there and may be. You've got guys like Koufax, Gibson, Clemens, Maddux, Martinez that are up there. Of course you can't forget about Ryan who may be the best to never win a Cy Young.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    He's certainly up there and may be. You've got guys like Koufax, Gibson, Clemens, Maddux, Martinez that are up there. Of course you can't forget about Ryan who may be the best to never win a Cy Young.
    Walter Johnson is considered the consensus best of all time by most. Even adjusting with today?s metrics. Bob Feller, Tom Seaver, Left Grove, bunch of greats. Mariano Rivera has to up there even though he was a closer.