Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about some appreciation for Howland today?

vCash

How about some appreciation for Howland today?

We beat Kentucky- the 1st time State has beaten John Calipari.
    We beat a team that is more talented than us
    We beat a team ranked ahead of us in the SEC

That is something to be excited about and again- this team will be improved in 2021-2022. Bama is tough and we will unlikely beat them- however- they play our style and we have a chance. Same with Tenn and same with UPig. I'm not saying we will win the SEC Tourney- but I am saying we match up with the teams on our road to the SEC Tourney title better than any other. Good win today- we beat Kentucky
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

That is something to be excited about and again- this team will be improved in 2021-2022. Bama is tough and we will unlikely beat them- however- they play our style and we have a chance. Same with Tenn and same with UPig. I'm not saying we will win the SEC Tourney- but I am saying we match up with the teams on our road to the SEC Tourney title better than any other. Good win today- we beat Kentucky
    The most Stansbury like thing Howland could do would be for us to win the tourney and get an auto bid.

vCash

That is something to be excited about and again- this team will be improved in 2021-2022
    You imply that this team comes back next year.

Will they?

vCash
    But, but, but, he almost threw an interception!

vCash

Good win today; props to coaches and players. Ado was a man today. Molinar was clutch. Agree with this however, I don't UK is more talented than us. Take the jerseys and high school rankings on paper away and I saw a team just as or more talented than UK. UK talent this year has shown me nothing. Still a great win.

vCash
    College basketball has turned into an enigma. We were capable of beating them last time but didn't put out in the end. I'm glad we finally beat them and Howland and the players deserve the credit. They could have chosen to bow out.

vCash

We beat the worst Kentucky team in 100 years really hard to get too excited...beat Bama now that's a different tune for me.

vCash
    We won and showed effort.

You still beat a roster full of 5 star talent. For whatever reason this year just wasn’t their year.

This is like bitching about beating Bama in football when they had a down year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

You still beat a roster full of 5 star talent. For whatever reason this year just wasn?t their year.

This is like bitching about beating Bama in football when they had a down year.
    i am very glad we won yesterday but we could just as easily have lost if the last shot for KY had gone down. If so, we would all be here belly aching that Howland's team had managed to blow another game we seemingly had control of. This team has still yet to put 2 good halves together against any kind of decent competition. But I will absolutely give the team an A+ in effort and for finding a way to pull that game out after going down 5 in the last 5 minutes. Molinar saved our bacon in the end and also we actually hit free throws and they didn't which was a huge factor as well. Games where we were 82% at the free throw line have been few and far between this year. I found it amusing that we ended up winning by one point and KY actually gave us 3 attempts to make one of our free throws in the first half with back to back lane violations.

vCash
    Yeah and when bama beats our ass everyone will be bitching again it is what it is. this bi-polar team just does not excite me.

vCash
    LOL wE BeAT KenTUcKy!!!!1 (by 1 point after giving up a 14 point halftime lead) Nevermind they had 9 wins, and their worst team since 1979. It's Kentucky!

It was nice to win, but we're still in a bad place.

We're in the same place we were at the end of the Stansbury era. We have a guy that can recruit decently, but never ends up with the results to match. A guy who is a shell of his former self at the helm. Done little enough to make half the fans want to fire him, and enough to make half the fans want to keep him. And now we have an AD who most people don't want making another hire. Deja Vu all over again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    i am very glad we won yesterday but we could just as easily have lost if the last shot for KY had gone down..
    If we had hit our last shot vs Dayton, Kentucky, and aTm, we'd be sitting at 17-10 going into yesterday's game. If we hit our last shot vs tenn, it would've went to OT. We didn't though, and we lost... just like Kentucky did.

vCash
    "We talking bout History Man". Amazes me when folks talk about our men's basketball team and not understanding our history. All I'm saying, be happy about beating Ky anytime or anyplace, It has never happened many times and it probably want happen much in the further. Just go look at Ky and their history plus the fact they have won more games in tournament play than ALL other Sec teams combined. Let that sink in for a while, damn some will never be happy about winning. It's always and will be about "WINNING"!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    "We talking bout History Man". Amazes me when folks talk about our men's basketball team and not understanding our history. All I'm saying, be happy about beating Ky anytime or anyplace, It has never happened many times and it probably want happen much in the further. Just go look at Ky and their history plus the fact they have won more games in tournament play than ALL other Sec teams combined. Let that sink in for a while, damn some will never be happy about winning. It's always and will be about "WINNING"!
    Our fans think we're some sort of sleeping giant in basketball bc of a magical run 25 years ago. Fact is we have 1 more tourney appearance more than OM since integration. No one would say OM is a basketball school, but they're sorta right there with us since integration. Talk of firing howland is so dumb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    LOL wE BeAT KenTUcKy!!!!1 (by 1 point after giving up a 14 point halftime lead) Nevermind they had 9 wins, and their worst team since 1979. It's Kentucky!

It was nice to win, but we're still in a bad place.

We're in the same place we were at the end of the Stansbury era. We have a guy that can recruit decently, but never ends up with the results to match. A guy who is a shell of his former self at the helm. Done little enough to make half the fans want to fire him, and enough to make half the fans want to keep him. And now we have an AD who most people don't want making another hire. Deja Vu all over again.
    Funny how you mention the place we are in "again". Can you tell me what coaches besides Stans and Howland that have put us in a "happy place". I will hang up and listen, that is all.
    I', not bashing you, but we have never been good over our time, only Babe did great things and he wasn't at Msu all that long.

vCash
    He got out coached the second half and the guys on the court got out played. Thank goodness they had that big lead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

You still beat a roster full of 5 star talent. For whatever reason this year just wasn?t their year.
    That's what most of the teams in the SEC said when they beat the WBB team.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    He got out coached the second half and the guys on the court got out played. Thank goodness they had that big lead.
    Come on Jack, if what you say is true then Howland out coached Caliber in the first first half and our guys out played them. Our guys never quit and again who cares after the fact we won today and will get another chance to win today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Our fans think we're some sort of sleeping giant in basketball bc of a magical run 25 years ago. Fact is we have 1 more tourney appearance more than OM since integration. No one would say OM is a basketball school, but they're sorta right there with us since integration. Talk of firing howland is so dumb.
    Mind blowing!

Banned
    vCash
    Enjoyed seeing Howland's Dogs fight like that. Shouldn't we be excited for next year as well? It sucks for our program because we all miss the "Rick's Rowdy's" era but it seems tougher these days in SEC Hoops. We got used to competing for the West title back in Rick's era. Kinda like those JWS days when whippin' Bamer was something we got to enjoy every now and again. Based on how the SEC looks today versus yesterday seems different. If I'm right, then it's hard not to appreciate what Howland's doing. We don't own a birthright to compete for "SEC West" titles year end and year out.