Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Championship week... the shell of it

vCash

Championship week... the shell of it

This used to be one of the best sporting events there was. I used to love the big east, acc, and sec tournies. What can we do to fix college basketball bc it has really fell off?

vCash
    Between the draft and all the AAU bs I've almost written the sport off. Not sure if there's an easy fix or not but there's no doubt it's fallen off. Of course, the pandemic hasn't helped either.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    This used to be one of the best sporting events there was. I used to love the big east, acc, and sec tournies. What can we do to fix college basketball bc it has really fell off?
    Now that European Soccer is on TV everyday and champions league at this time. RIP Basketball.

vCash
    It's baseball season 7

vCash
    Basketball as we knew it is gone and it ain't coming back. Sherman Douglas isn't throwing any more alleys to Derrick Coleman. And Patrick Ewing definitely isn't playing 4 years at Georgetown anymore. That was fun. You really got to know the stars before they went to the NBA.

I can't think of any rule changes other than reducing timeouts by 1 per team. The rule changes the last few years have mostly been good. Replay is pretty awful, but maybe it's necessary.

vCash
    Been saying for a while that college basketball is a wreck. Need more participation at the grade school level and fan interest in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    It's baseball season 7
    With Internet, smart TVs and secn+, SEC baseball will grow even more in popularity and basketball will become the distant third sport of interest. Obviously that reality is already here in Mississippi.

vCash
    The sport of basketball (and increasingly football) just isn't compelling. Too much scoring.

vCash
    Wish basketball would adopt a policy like baseball. You can go pro straight out of HS; but if you go to college, you aren't draft eligible till after year 3. It would allow teams to grow together, and thus, improve the overall quality of the game.

vCash
    I wish college baseball got more publicity, but at the same time it?s a shame college basketball has lost popularity because of what?s it?s become. Even though college basketball has blue bloods, it?s not like football where it?s the same 5 or 6 teams year after year in the playoff and then the same 2 or 3 winning it.

vCash
    The only thing that's really in control of the NCAA is they could invest in better officiating. It's hard to ref basketball. They need to start getting former players to ref. THe game is too fast to have old guys out there trying to keep up.

The best thing that could happen for the NCAA would be for the NBA to adopt baseball's eligibility rule. Go straight to the NBA or wait three years to be eligible. That would really improve the game, but not sure it's ever going to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    The only thing that's really in control of the NCAA is they could invest in better officiating. It's hard to ref basketball. They need to start getting former players to ref. THe game is too fast to have old guys out there trying to keep up.

The best thing that could happen for the NCAA would be for the NBA to adopt baseball's eligibility rule. Go straight to the NBA or wait three years to be eligible. That would really improve the game, but not sure it's ever going to happen.
    It would improve both games, college and nba

vCash
    Get rid of the One and Done rule, now that Duke and Kentucky even when they are good struggling to go deep in the postseason with one and done players you are about to see the bluebloods petition the NBA to change the rule. If you watch most games you see there is no team chemistry whatsoever and there is no chance to build it since the teams look different every year. The teams that do good in the postseason are usually the ones that have a bunch of upperclass players on it

vCash
    It would improve both games, college and nba
    It really would be a no brainer for the NBA. Making sure a steady stream of players stayed in college long enough for fan bases to identify with them would allow them to pick up additional fans as they follow college players to the NBA. It'd also make it cheaper for the league. Let colleges pay for some development and then still reap the rewards of the final product, just with more name recognition.

The only thing stopping it I think is the players union. WHich I've said before, it's crazy that that's the one thing a union in the US takes a principled stance on, even though it's against their current members' interests. Any other time, it's pretty much screw anybody and everybody else as hard as is necessary if it benefits the current union members by a single dollar.

vCash
    I also hate the abundance of tv timeouts - there is way too much stoppage of play.

But the biggest problem is the massive roster turnover each year. Fans can?t connect to the players and coaches struggle with cohesion and building team identity

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    I also hate the abundance of tv timeouts - there is way too much stoppage of play.

But the biggest problem is the massive roster turnover each year. Fans can?t connect to the players and coaches struggle with cohesion and building team identity
    replays have helped correct some bad calls, but at what cost? The stoppages are awful. I've long thought that 4 tv timeouts per half, halftime, +8 additional timeouts for the coaches is too much. My solution would be to elminate the carryover timeouts that coaches get plus change the tv timeouts to 15-10-5 so just 3 per half. And I would eliminate replay. Maybe give coaches 1 or 2 challenges per game.

vCash
    20 players entered the transfer portal today in basketball. It's crazy. I don't know what you can do about it.

vCash
    Wish basketball would adopt a policy like baseball. You can go pro straight out of HS; but if you go to college, you aren't draft eligible till after year 3. It would allow teams to grow together, and thus, improve the overall quality of the game.
    This/ But then again it's baseball season.

vCash

It would help the coaching staff in recruiting too. Not having to wonder if this player will be here or not next year.

vCash
    The one and done rule killed college basketball.

With the emergence of the g league, the nba's minor league system, I really see no point in the one and done rule. Let kids go straight to the league if they want and if they don't make it they get assigned to the g league team.

Do away with 1 and done, and adopt the mlb rule of straight from HS to pros or 3 and done rule if you enter college.