Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitching rotation....

vCash

Pitching rotation....

Here's the deal, our biggest game next week is probably Wednesday night vs ULL. I think we continue to leave Harding in this spot to try and get a big mid-week win. I also think we need to give MacLeod one more chance to get rolling Friday night vs Eastern Michigan. If Harding pitches another strong game and Mac continues to struggle commanding the zone, then we have to switch it up. Further, if Harding is strong again on Wednesday then we may need to start saving him for SEC weekends even if it's as a bullpen guy. We've got other guys who can start mid-week especially when Cade Smith comes back.

At the same time, we need to get our rotation set vs Eastern Michigan because SEC play starts in less than 2 weeks. I would go Mac-Brandon Smith-Bednar. Now Bednar may not be ready to stretch it out, but go ahead and give him the start next Sunday to get in that mindset. If he can only go 2 or 3 innings that's fine. That's why I say Sunday.

Then hopefully vs LSU we can go some combination of either Mac-Bednar-Smith. Or possibly Bednar-Smith-Harding if Mac can't get it going. But that would be my thinking as SEC play is just around the corner.

vCash
    I'm not big on having an "opener" if at all avoidable.

I think we should:

Fri- Bednar. Really need to work on stretching him out at this point. Hopefully he can go 50 pitches or at least three IP next weekend and then we can use Smith/Sims which isn't really any different short term than MacLeoud. But by week three of SEC play he should be fully up to speed.

Sat- Jackson Fristoe. It's like a lot of our fans have forgotten about him but he has been as good as MacLeoud and actually better analytically. We'll see how he does today.

Sun- MacLeoud. Other than yesterday he hasn't been bad- the issue is he hasn't been efficient other than against Kent State of course. I think he may be pressing some since he is the Friday night guy and that's causing him to be too fine. If he is going to be a 100 pitch guy in 4 IP I'd rather him do that on Sunday than against a SEC ace.

I'd like to keep Harding midweek if at all possible. But if something goes wrong at least we have a good option for the rotation.

I'm not expecting a lot from Cade Smith this year. He's not supposed to be back until the end of March and there is zero reason to rush him along. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up redshirting him or just pitch him a few times in short outings.

I want to keep Smith and Sims in the pen if at all possible too. I'd like to see us use Preston Johnson more, move Cerentola to the bullpen and see if that works. Keep using Koestler. Maybe use Xavier Lovett, Dylan Carmouche, and KC Hunt more too.

One thing I have noticed that is very encouraging is most of the pitchers that Foxhall has recruited are thriving for us. The guys like Sims, Carmouche, Fristoe, and etc. He should have a fully stocked staff in a year or two of his guys.

vCash
    I just don't see Lemonis/Foxhall bailing on Cerantola as a starter until at least one outing in SEC play, but I think he will get 2.

If Bednar can have a solid outing next weekend, I would stick him on Friday. I would put MacLeod on Saturday, and I would have Brandon Smith pitch Sunday. Sims comes in Friday/Saturday to lock it down in the middle/late innings.

I like Fristoe and think he has a spot, but I like mentally where Brandon Smith is right now. I think him on a Sunday might give us the best chance to win.

We've got a lot of options. But I don't see us making any wholesale changes until at least the second series in SEC play or unless there's an injury.

vCash
    I'd go Bednar on Friday, Brandon Smith on Saturday, and MacLeod on Sunday. Keep Harding on the midweek and have Jackson Fristoe available for if MacLeod keeps imploding. Keep Sims in his fireman role. I'd also give KC Hunt more innings. He's looked really good in his opportunities this year.

vCash
    For you baseball experts, and coaches answer me this question. Why with +/- 22 pitchers do our starters have to be such limp dicks. Do these guys have some 8 x 10 color glossy pictures of the coaching staff getting butt <17>ed by a donkey to keep trotting out to the mound.

vCash
    I think we have to leave Bednar out of the equation for now. At least until he pitches a game and we see what he has.

I still say make Sims the Friday starter. I know nobody will agree, and I know why. But at this point we don't have other options. Go Sims, Fristoe, Macleoud. Maybe we can work Bednar as a long reliever (instead of Sims) to work him back up to speed. If he does well, go from there deciding where he fits best. Something may be wrong with Macleoud, so maybe we shouldn't count on anything from him going forward. He's just not good right now. Sims, Bednar, Fristoe may be how it shakes out.

Our pen is deep enough. We need starters so we aren't playing from behind every freaking game.
    Last edited by PMDawg; 03-07-2021 at 11:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    I think we have to leave Bednar out of the equation for now. At least until he pitches a game and we see what he has.

I still say make Sims the Friday starter. I know nobody will agree, and I know why. But at this point we don't have other options. Go Sims, Fristoe, Macleoud. Maybe we can work Bednar as a long reliever (instead of Sims) to work him back up to speed. If he does well, go from there deciding where he fits best. Something may be wrong with Macleoud, so maybe we shouldn't count on anything from him going forward. He's just not good right now. Sims, Bednar, Fristoe may be how it shakes out.

Our pen is deep enough. We need starters so we aren't playing from behind every freaking game.
    It's at least 5 weekend games in a row, we have trailed when our starter has come out of the game.

vCash
    As just a fan...

The straight meritocratic approach is:

Harding, Fristoe, and Macleod

MacLeod is barely hanging on. Bednar and B Smith are knocking on the door. Sims is Ace relief.

When it comes Cerantola, even Dakota Hudson needed two full years in the program before he became an Ace. Even Ethan small had two years, a Freshman and TJ year. Some midweek, relief, and Cape Cod...EC is dominant next year.

vCash
    I don't think he'll be here next year. He's draft eligible and I could see him being drafted highly just based on the measurables. MLB will think they can easily correct his issues so I highly doubt he's back.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I don't think he'll be here next year. He's draft eligible and I could see him being drafted highly just based on the measurables. MLB will think they can easily correct his issues so I highly doubt he's back.
    after this season, we are losing: Self, Koestler, Price, Brandon Smith, Preston Johnson, Cerantola, Bednar, MacLeod for sure. Then probably losing Harding, Tullar, Shemper, Patrick, Forrester, Talley and Stinnentt. So that's 15 guys. Good news is we still have a lot of big time arms returning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I'd go Bednar on Friday, Brandon Smith on Saturday, and MacLeod on Sunday. Keep Harding on the midweek and have Jackson Fristoe available for if MacLeod keeps imploding. Keep Sims in his fireman role. I'd also give KC Hunt more innings. He's looked really good in his opportunities this year.
    I tend to agree with this. We do have some good options with some deep pitching. just finding the right mix for the week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I tend to agree with this. We do have some good options with some deep pitching. just finding the right mix for the week.
    After today, I've changed my mind lol. Fristoe is too good to not start on the weekends. So I'd go Bednar, MacLeod (on a short leash), and then Fristoe. Pair Sims with Bednar. Pair Brandon Smith with MacLeod. And then all hands on deck behind Fristoe on Sundays.

vCash
    After today, I've changed my mind lol. Fristoe is too good to not start on the weekends. So I'd go Bednar, MacLeod (on a short leash), and then Fristoe. Pair Sims with Bednar. Pair Brandon Smith with MacLeod. And then all hands on deck behind Fristoe on Sundays.
    With such small sample size there are a lot of combinations that might work. I haven't see enough of several of them to really know. We need to find 4 starters and settle in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    As just a fan...

The straight meritocratic approach is:

Harding, Fristoe, and Macleod

MacLeod is barely hanging on. Bednar and B Smith are knocking on the door. Sims is Ace relief.

When it comes Cerantola, even Dakota Hudson needed two full years in the program before he became an Ace. Even Ethan small had two years, a Freshman and TJ year. Some midweek, relief, and Cape Cod...EC is dominant next year.
    EC is getting drafted this year. He's not coming back. Period. Just isn't.

vCash
    See. That's how fickle you guys are. Just chill. One outing good or bad doesn't make a decision. One good outing helps, yes. One bad outing hurts yes. But how much history is there? Had he been good before?? (See rowdey) how much do our coaches like him? (See rowdey his fr , soph years). Hell if we made the lineup based on the Internet rowdey would have never been a so, jr, or much less a sr at state and he wouldn't have been able to play at jack crap junior college......How much has the person done in the fall. How much in the spring..../ You've changed your mind six times since Friday!!

vCash
    Needs to be something along those lines. I personally would like to see Fristoe, Harding and one of MacLeod, Brandon Smith or Bednar with the other spot at least for now. As far as Cerantola, the problem is not just 2 games, but a history from the past 2 seasons of being undependable. There is just way too much talent and depth on this staff to try and baby any one pitcher into being what he needs to be. With EC the problem is he may look like a top line MLB pitcher one inning and then totally fall apart the next inning where he walks and hits folks to give away multiple charity runs. He should at least go to midweek until he can be trusted and right now he can't. MacLeod at least has the fact that he looked great last year during the short time we played. I've never seen EC look like he was in control through an entire game that he has started ever.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 03-07-2021 at 10:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    See. That's how fickle you guys are. Just chill. One outing good or bad doesn't make a decision. One good outing helps, yes. One bad outing hurts yes. But how much history is there? Had he been good before?? (See rowdey) how much do our coaches like him? (See rowdey his fr , soph years). Hell if we made the lineup based on the Internet rowdey would have never been a so, jr, or much less a sr at state and he wouldn't have been able to play at jack crap junior college......How much has the person done in the fall. How much in the spring..../ You've changed your mind six times since Friday!!
    You still mad that I was right about Dubrule needing to bat lead off huh?

I've changed my mind once btw. Not six. And it hasn't been a drastic change. But I'm fickle and unworthy of an opinion I guess. And what's so wrong about a rotation of Bednar, MacLeod, and Fristoe? Am I wrong? You're so quick to correct and point out flaws in everyone else's discussion but you provide very little of your own.
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 03-07-2021 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Needs to be something along those lines. I personally would like to see Fristoe, Harding and one of MacLeod, Brandon Smith or Bednar with the other spot at least for now. As far as Cerantola, the problem is not just 2 games, but a history from the past 2 seasons of being undependable. There is just way too much talent and depth on this staff to try and baby any one pitcher into being what he needs to be. With EC the problem is he may look like a top line MLB pitcher one inning and then totally fall apart the next inning where he walks and hits folks to give away multiple charity runs. He should at least go to midweek until he can be trusted and right now he can't. MacLeod at least has the fact that he looked great last year during the short time we played. I've never seen EC look like he was in control through an entire game that he has started ever.
    I do know that Harding is starting Wed vs UL so that makes it impossible for him to start next weekend. Gotta go Mac-Bednar-Fristoe next weekend with Sims after Mac and Smith after Bednar. That's a good frontline especially if Mac gets it going. If he doesnt, gotta move Harding to the weekends.

vCash

I've changed my mind once btw. And it hasn't been a drastic change. But I'm fickle and unworthy of an opinion I guess.
    Smart people change their minds after new evidence is presented. Not saying you're smart.

vCash

I've changed my mind once btw. And it hasn't been a drastic change. But I'm fickle and unworthy of an opinion I guess.
    Haha. Nope ... you might need to go re read that thread...and again it's 11 games. I'm not jumping on or off any wagon except one... and that one history, cerrantola needs to move out... and to say youve had one change means one change in the last ten minutes.