Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: MSU-Kent State Game 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skadoosh14 View Post
    Why is it brilliant? Barring injury purposes, why not get him in on a Sunday start where we've already won the series? We were up by 4 in the 7th when Smith had retired 7 straight.

He gets more innings and more experience in a no pressure environment if he starts him on Sunday. It really doesn't make sense to me.
    Because you are able to evaluate a short stint and give a guy confidence. If things look good you can still throw him on Sunday a inning or so. Build confidence and evaluate his arm strength

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We only have lh hitting first baseman so who you want to start? Clark isn't ready. Pimentel?? Hatch wil be fine. I wish people would quit basing there thoughts on a game a handful of games. And I'm not talking about you. Just in general. Heck two days ago we had people that wanted Landon James to leadoff Bc he lead us in hitting.
    Some lefty batters hit lefty pitchers better than others (Hancock hits lefties just fine), but you are probably right, just not a lot of other candidates for 1B right now. Hatch is at .184, but heck, 5 of our starting 9 in the lineup are at .235 or below so he's not too far below several of the others anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Some lefty batters hit lefty pitchers better than others (Hancock hits lefties just fine), but you are probably right, just not a lot of other candidates for 1B right now. Hatch is at .184, but heck, 5 of our starting 9 in the lineup are at .235 or below so he's not too far below several of the others anyway.
    I?m like Homedawg. While I understand some bad batting averages, baseball is not a game where a team always gets 2.75 to 3 hits as a team every 10 at bats. It?s a sport of runs. Very random at times. As long as we are making contact and pressuring defense we will be fine. Especially with the potential of our pitching staff.
    Now I?m ok with where we are now but without improvements we are susceptible against most talented teams. Improvements are needed.

vCash
    Walks are also a part of good offense. We had good at bats tonight just from that perspective. As many walks as I remember us getting in a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Walks are also a part of good offense. We had good at bats tonight just from that perspective. As many walks as I remember us getting in a while.
    Very important point. We have to work counts and add base runners when gifted. The biggest detriment I?ve seen has been us giving walks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcap View Post
    Very important point. We have to work counts and add base runners when gifted. The biggest detriment I?ve seen has been us giving walks
    Agreed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    He would be getting tons of ABs on off days vs Self, Price, Patrick, Tepper etc if I were coach. This is such a unique situation to have this much pitching depth. Take advantage.
    I was thinking exactly that, he should be on AB 200 with our deep pitching staff.

Call it OTA

Maybe the minor league dogs should come and pitch to the backups and get Clark and Forsyth ready. Win Win

vCash
    We are nowhere near the team we will be in 2 weeks beginning SEC play but if we see realistic strike zones we will benefit. I think we are an average to above average hitting team and a definite above average pitching team. The strike zones game to game will hurt or at times kill us. This team is so talented but no one should get too up or too down game to game with this team. The SEC is a total crap shoot from what I?ve seen so far. So much talent but so much talent to play against. We improve with big crowds. On the road but mainly at home. Gotta get that competitive nature going

vCash
    Can someone who knows baseball better than me explain why Lemonis pitched Bednar 1 inning in the 7th while we're up 4 against a non conference opponent?

I'm not being snarky. I'm really just not knowledgeable enough about baseball to understand it.
    I mean- why not? He hasn't pitched at all this year and it wasn't a super high leverage situation. If you have a guy that is coming off of an injury that seems like a pretty good time to bring him in to me.

vCash
    Why is it brilliant? Barring injury purposes, why not get him in on a Sunday start where we've already won the series? We were up by 4 in the 7th when Smith had retired 7 straight.

He gets more innings and more experience in a no pressure environment if he starts him on Sunday. It really doesn't make sense to me.
    Do you really have this little amount of... context identification, critical thinking, situational awareness... I'm not sure of the best term to use.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Do you really have this little amount of... context identification, critical thinking, situational awareness... I'm not sure of the best term to use.
    Stop being a c*nt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Stop being a c*nt
    Stop being a shrill emotional woman in every game thread. Do you need me to send you some boxed wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post

Top of the 1st inning and we already had an error

I'm beginning to hate it when the bulldogs load the bases

Looking like we are going to get crushed by Kent St in Gm 1

There is a reason I'm negative regarding baseball. I can't outright say why, but there is a valid reason
    Pathetic.

vCash
    I doubt Bednar was gonna start any this wknd. He prolly had a bullpen session today anyway. Better practice to throw to live hitters with a 4 run lead than throw in the bullpen.

He will Prolly throw another inning Sunday and then start next wknd.

If I was Lemonis, Mac and Cerentola are on thin ice. Mac looked like he could careless yest. He was late getting to the plate on the wild pitch and then he got pulled. Lemonis gave him a thrashing on the mound. You could tell in Macs face when he came off the field.

We literally have 3 guys who would be starting for any other SEC team not named Vandy. Smith, Sims, and Fristoe all should be starters of Mac and Cerentola can’t get their shit together. To hell with last year and how good someone looked, this is this year.

I also think we need to Move the lineup around to jump start some of the guys. Hopefully Skinner can get back and rolling. I think he would be an excellent lead off hitter.

vCash
    Great seeing Bednar pitch and have great success. As to why only an inning, pretty sure he didn't throw for several days and is now getting a "tune up". Dude showed some swag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Stop being a shrill emotional woman in every game thread. Do you need me to send you some boxed wine?

Pathetic.
    Listen here young kid, I don't know you, but you must have a hard-on for me in anticipation with everything I comment on here. Good luck with college and I hope you get into the frat of your choosing, if FH is still even accepting kids.

vCash
    Why is it brilliant? not get him in on a Sunday start where we've already won the series?

Mayby, 'now' you see why it was brilliant. You would have have had Bednar throw his first pitches of the year under pressure of losing both the game and the series right after 'they' have momentum of a complete smack down.