Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WBB Roster Attrition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    3 Years HC at Ole Dominion, improved record every year. Ole Dominion with a rich WBB history and a record 10 National Championships!
    Apples and oranges. ODU hasn't been relative in forever. I guess we should have hired the Nebraska football coach since Nebraska is a powerhouse program. Not

With that line of thinking I see how we made such a bad hire. The Pat Summit thing is what did it. Heard it over and over. She is a winner, etc. Being a player and a HC ain't even close to same thing. Rookie hiring process. Pathetic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Funny! Cohen hired a proven HC, with SEC playing time and SEC coaching time as an assistant! If he had promoted a 21 year career assistant from 'inside,' he would have been castrated!
    Yeah some are saying it hindsight; I'm not. I have no idea if Johnnie would have been good or not. I would hope we could have hired a more proven HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Yeah. The WBB program is toast. Advice: stop following it. The run is over. For good.
    This^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Coach Nikki came in with an incredible resume'. I was 100% on board. Now I wonder if it was a "diversity" hire more than anything.

Wishing now that we had just promoted Johnnie Harris.
    And if Harris would've struggled, you and a few others would be whining that it was a lazy hire and why didn't he look at that up-and-comer at Old Dominion?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Apples and oranges. ODU hasn't been relative in forever. I guess we should have hired the Nebraska football coach since Nebraska is a powerhouse program. Not

With that line of thinking I see how we made such a bad hire. The Pat Summit thing is what did it. Heard it over and over. She is a winner, etc. Being a player and a HC ain't even close to same thing. Rookie hiring process. Pathetic.
    We tried to get an established, successful SEC head coach but the guy at UK was just using us for leverage for a raise/extension. Maybe we just need to hire you as AD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    And if Harris would've struggled, you and a few others would be whining that it was a lazy hire and why didn't he look at that up-and-comer at Old Dominion?
    And you would be wrong. WBB is not as high on my give-a-shit meter as you think it is.

vCash
    We tried to get an established, successful SEC head coach but the guy at UK was just using us for leverage for a raise/extension. Maybe we just need to hire you as AD.
    Isn't he the guy who retired for health reasons prior to this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    If anyone had struggled anything close to what NMP has there would have been heavy criticism, would not have mattered who it was. That being said I thought the right move was to give Harris the job unless we could bring in a proven high level HC. NMP was definitely not that. Harris was the best option we had to try and keep rolling with what Vic had established.

vCash
    Matthew Mitchell showed no interest. Jeff Walz at Louisville used us to leverage a raise. He did the same thing when the Tennessee job was open.

vCash
    Maybe, I don't know how I could have screwed it up any worse.

So you think there are no quality coaches outside the one SEC guy? We didn't search long and hired too quick.

Hard to believe we had Greg Byrne at MSU. He set us up for the success that Strickland had and also set him up for the UF gig. Who hired Greg, Foglesong? It is a special gift to identify real leaders. Not many have it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Yeah. The WBB program is toast. Advice: stop following it. The run is over. For good.
    Yep, Vic Schaefer ain?t walking through that door.... or anyone else worth a flip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Yep, Vic Schaefer ain?t walking through that door.... or anyone else worth a flip.
    Probably so. There are very, very few elite coaches in WBB and we just sort of stumbled into one with Vic. He was certainly never an elite HC before arriving at MSU. If he had been we would not have gotten him at the time in our program we did. Doubt we will ever see that magic happen in Starkville again for that sport. Only real regret was not reeling in a NC title for the school when we had 2 shots at it.

vCash
    McCray certainly looks like a dud, but the reality is that in basketball more than any other sport, and women's basketball especially, it is 100% about the coach. We are not and we're not a top 5 program, Vic Schaefer is a top 5 coach. We were going to have to find someone else as good to replicate that success, and the chances of that are insanely slim.

vCash
    This years performance compared to last year with virtually the same players has been the biggest ( cluster 17 ) in the history of MSU sports performance. Or at least that's how it appears to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    McCray certainly looks like a dud, but the reality is that in basketball more than any other sport, and women's basketball especially, it is 100% about the coach. We are not and we're not a top 5 program, Vic Schaefer is a top 5 coach. We were going to have to find someone else as good to replicate that success, and the chances of that are insanely slim.
    I agree about WBB and the Coach being the biggest difference in the program. In basketball the Coach has 15 players at most to deal with, baseball and football different animal as assistants play a much bigger role controlling and having an influence on "what they are responsible for with players". Women athletes are different, if you don't believe me (I have Coached men and women in Basketball and track) look at girls softball, Geez!