Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: I feel better about our weekend rotation

  1. #1
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34,284
    vCash
    1200

    I feel better about our weekend rotation

    MacLeoud needs to be more efficient. But we have Landon Sims who can keep us in games.

    Cerentola is a wild card. He can either be elite or another Evan Mitchell. If he can't figure it out, I think Fristoe takes his spot and he has shown that he can do the job. And then we have Brandon Smith who can eat up innings. If Cerentola can't figure it out- I wonder if we look at him at closer or in a relief role? He may do really well with it.

    It sounds like Bednar will be back against Eastern Michigan if not sooner. I think he will be fine but will have to build his pitch count up, so I'm hoping he can come back Sunday.

    I bet we take a big leap the second half of SEC play and end up with MacLeoud, Bednar, and Fristoe with Cerentola flaming out.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    7,541
    vCash
    600
    I would go ahead and move EC to Sunday this week. Even if Bednar can't go. Go ahead and get EC on his normal rest.

    You got to really like Sims and smith as long weekend relievers out of the pen right now. If Bednar is who I think he is and price is 2020 price, you have to love how we are set up on the mound.

    I'll say this about our hitting too - we have probably faced as good as pitching as anybody in the country through 7 games. We saw Texas best arm, tcu best arm, a good arm vs TTU, and Tulanes three starters were as good as a sec team.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34,284
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I would go ahead and move EC to Sunday this week. Even if Bednar can't go. Go ahead and get EC on his normal rest.

    You got to really like Sims and smith as long weekend relievers out of the pen right now. If Bednar is who I think he is and price is 2020 price, you have to love how we are set up on the mound.

    I'll say this about our hitting too - we have probably faced as good as pitching as anybody in the country through 7 games. We saw Texas best arm, tcu best arm, a good arm vs TTU, and Tulanes three starters were as good as a sec team.
    I agree about the hitting. And I think we will really pick it up this weekend and over the next couple of weeks.

    Looking at stats I wonder if they are considering hitting Landon Jordan leadoff? He has the highest OBP on the team right now. The hit Tanner Allen second, maybe put Rowdey third and then Hancock fourth with Kam James and Logan Tanner behind him. Then go Hatcher, McGowan/Cumbest and Dubrule.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tbonewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    10,152
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree about the hitting. And I think we will really pick it up this weekend and over the next couple of weeks.

    Looking at stats I wonder if they are considering hitting Landon Jordan leadoff? He has the highest OBP on the team right now. The hit Tanner Allen second, maybe put Rowdey third and then Hancock fourth with Kam James and Logan Tanner behind him. Then go Hatcher, McGowan/Cumbest and Dubrule.
    I like that line up.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,589
    vCash
    668
    I understand why we have Sims in the role we do, but I keep thinking a Fri/Sat/Sun of Sims, Macleoud, Bednar could be lethal. None of our starters seem to go much more than 4 innings anyway. I get that the problem would be leaving Smith as the only real inning eater. Cerentola may could take Smith's current role (assuming Smith takes the Sims role), and may actually excel in it. I think being a starter just gets in his head. One thing is certain, his problems are mostly mental.

    ETA: Not sure where everyone else should be, but I think we have to move Hancock to 4th in the lineup. Rowdy probably should be one of 2nd, 3rd, or 5th, but not 1st.

  6. #6
    Senior Member StarkVegasSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,844
    vCash
    95574
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    I understand why we have Sims in the role we do, but I keep thinking a Fri/Sat/Sun of Sims, Macleoud, Bednar could be lethal. None of our starters seem to go much more than 4 innings anyway. I get that the problem would be leaving Smith as the only real inning eater. Cerentola may could take Smith's current role (assuming Smith takes the Sims role), and may actually excel in it. I think being a starter just gets in his head. One thing is certain, his problems are mostly mental.

    ETA: Not sure where everyone else should be, but I think we have to move Hancock to 4th in the lineup. Rowdy probably should be one of 2nd, 3rd, or 5th, but not 1st.
    I think right now you need to keep Sims in the pen. If we get quality starts from two of the three starters then it allows Sims to pitch in two games instead of just one. I think he eventually becomes a starter but right now I say keep him in that Girodo/Ross Mitchell role. Kind of like how the Indians used Andrew Miller in the 2016 playoffs.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    12,511
    vCash
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree about the hitting. And I think we will really pick it up this weekend and over the next couple of weeks.

    Looking at stats I wonder if they are considering hitting Landon Jordan leadoff?
    I doubt it. Landon Jordan is going to platoon at times. Don't want a platoon player in the leadoff spot. Dubrule makes the most sense right now.

    1. Dubrule
    2. Kam James
    3. Tanner Allen
    4. Logan Tanner
    5. Luke Hancock
    6. Rowdey
    7. Hatcher
    8. Cumbust/McGowen
    9. Landon Jordan/Leggett

    Nice Righty/Lefty mix.

  8. #8
    Senior Member TNDawg35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,544
    vCash
    286
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Clark and Forsyth get some time this wknd.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,914
    vCash
    600
    A paradigm for MSU's pitching staff is that being a "starter" is not the same big deal as in years past when we were so thin at pitching. Think about Pilk only going 3-innings in 2017, that would kill the staff. We had to have decent starts.

    Today, we can customize the pitching treatment to a highly-Lefty team or highly-Righty team or other feature, like a peculiar Umpire.

    I think we just need 10 reliable, mentally masterful, horses for the SEC. It might really be best for Cerantola to be middle relief, for us and him. He can be a more dynamic Colby White. To me, Harding is probably the #3 in the long run, but that's not a disrespect to Cerantola. It just allows us to start a Crafty lefty and Switch to a Power Righty and then to something else. If Cerantola played for Vandy, they would use him like a Colby White, wreck people after the starter, throwing his best pitches, holding nothing back, but under control. Vandy has lots of Highly-Rated pitchers doing that role. In 2019, Louisville tossed two PG 10 rated relievers to stop us in Omaha after we KO'ed their starter.

    (1) Macleoud - Start
    (2) Bednar - Start
    (3) Harding - Start
    (4) Sims - Long
    (5) B Smith - Long
    (6) Fristoe - Start/Long
    (7) Cerantola (Colby White Role) - Long/Short
    (8) Price - Close
    (9/10) Stinnett, Lovette, Rokose, Tullar, C Smith, Self, and a few others

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,231
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    MacLeoud needs to be more efficient. But we have Landon Sims who can keep us in games.

    Cerentola is a wild card. He can either be elite or another Evan Mitchell. If he can't figure it out, I think Fristoe takes his spot and he has shown that he can do the job. And then we have Brandon Smith who can eat up innings. If Cerentola can't figure it out- I wonder if we look at him at closer or in a relief role? He may do really well with it.

    It sounds like Bednar will be back against Eastern Michigan if not sooner. I think he will be fine but will have to build his pitch count up, so I'm hoping he can come back Sunday.

    I bet we take a big leap the second half of SEC play and end up with MacLeoud, Bednar, and Fristoe with Cerentola flaming out.
    Tend to agree on Cerantola. I do think he could be a nasty closer. Just have to let this play out, he has only played one game.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Saltydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,557
    vCash
    1206
    A closer has to be able to throw strikes. He certainly hasn't shown the ability to do that.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

  12. #12
    Senior Member basedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,490
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    A closer has to be able to throw strikes. He certainly hasn't shown the ability to do that.
    I agree.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,315
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    A closer has to be able to throw strikes. He certainly hasn't shown the ability to do that.
    This. No way he can close. Have to throw strikes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member KOdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    6,277
    vCash
    2674
    0% I'd make Cerantola closer. That's how you lose baseball games.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,636
    vCash
    1223
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    0% I'd make Cerantola closer. That's how you lose baseball games.
    Yeah, that could very well be a recipe for disaster.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    12,511
    vCash
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    0% I'd make Cerantola closer. That's how you lose baseball games.
    I'd give him 1 more start and if it doesn't work out move him to midweek. He's not a bullpen guy.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24,278
    vCash
    110
    Price is not good enough to close
    Just out here kicking rocks

  18. #18
    Senior Member KOdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    6,277
    vCash
    2674
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Price is not good enough to close
    Even though he's had a good career, I tend to agree.

    I'd give KC Hunt a shot.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,471
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Even though he's had a good career, I tend to agree.

    I'd give KC Hunt a shot.
    I think it probably should be Landon Sims, but he's too good in his role right now.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    12,511
    vCash
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Even though he's had a good career, I tend to agree.

    I'd give KC Hunt a shot.
    No, I don't think he's ready for that. Closer by committee is my choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.