Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WBB question for the board

vCash

WBB question for the board

do you think that Johnnie should've been offered the job??

vCash
    Who did johnnie vote for last November? This is a joke... please don't answer.

At this point, I'd say yeah. Not sure Johnnie is, but this season has been pretty disastrous, so it couldn't be much worse.

vCash
    KO mentioned that she came in third in the interview process. Two questions i have for Cohen are 1. Do you look at the whole body of work of a candidate and secondly did you ever watch Johnnie actions during and after the game. She was always involved with game decisions, the players seemed to respect her and reacted positively to her. It always seemed to me that Vic put her in the limelight she always did postgame interviews on TV and she did outstanding when in the Limelight. Did Vic endorse her for the Job and did she want it???

vCash
    Yeah from this vantage point yes hire her. But honestly, we should have been able to hire a more proven coach wanting to up their status. NMP was not proven HC. Proven player, yes but that was it.

vCash
    I didn't care either way. The only thing that gave me pause with Nikki was the fact TN wouldn't touch her. But we made a bad hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    KO mentioned that she came in third in the interview process. Two questions i have for Cohen are 1. Do you look at the whole body of work of a candidate and secondly did you ever watch Johnnie actions during and after the game. She was always involved with game decisions, the players seemed to respect her and reacted positively to her. It always seemed to me that Vic put her in the limelight she always did postgame interviews on TV and she did outstanding when in the Limelight. Did Vic endorse her for the Job and did she want it???
    Cohen saw that NMP played for Pat Summit and got all excited about that and of course coached with Dawn Staley. My question for Cohen is did you ask Vic who he would recommend and what was his answer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I didn't care either way. The only thing that gave me pause with Nikki was the fact TN wouldn't touch her. But we made a bad hire.
    UT learned that just because they played for Pat Summit didn't mean they would win being HC.

vCash
    It seems Cohen wanted to make a PR "splash" hire. I never forget when Bowden left Tulane for Clemson RR was the OC at Tulane and expected to be named HC. He even went out and bought a green jacket. Well the new AD hired someone else. Destroyed a up and coming program that Bowden and RR had built. Needless to say she didn't last long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Cohen saw that NMP played for Pat Summit and got all excited about that and of course coached with Dawn Staley. My question for Cohen is did you ask Vic who he would recommend and what was his answer?
    Mine too I want to know did he ask Vic or was he already too busy with UT to even give a recommendation. Remember "Vontae Mack no matter what"

vCash
    do you think that Johnnie should've been offered the job??
    NO!.....THAT would have been the easy way out and JC would have been lazy. No way I would have hired her. ZEro.

vCash
    It seems Cohen wanted to make a PR "splash" hire. I never forget when Bowden left Tulane for Clemson RR was the OC at Tulane and expected to be named HC. He even went out and bought a green jacket. Well the new AD hired someone else. Destroyed a up and coming program that Bowden and RR had built. Needless to say she didn't last long.
    Yep, Cohen got his splash alright but more like a bellyflop. He'll get some headlines but not the ones he is looking for.

vCash
    Johnnie would've been better than NMP, but it's hard to say how much better. The only coach that we were on that would've come close to Vic is Jeff Walz but he turned us down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Johnnie would've been better than NMP, but it's hard to say how much better. The only coach that we were on that would've come close to Vic is Jeff Walz but he turned us down.
    It always seemed that Vic was grooming Johnnie for a HC position. I know most HC groom their protegees but Vic was always making sure that Johnnie was getting alot of the Limelight/

Archimedes
    vCash
    Here is what a lot of you don?t understand, the success rate of hiring a decent candidate in the vast majority of self starting jobs (coaching included) is about 25%. It?s not a easy job to hire someone. They can sound create in a interview and have success somewhere else and come tank at your place. Then you can have someone who interviewed like shit succeeded somewhere else out of nowhere. It happens in every industry.

vCash
    Harris has NEVER had a head coaching position unlike McCray-Penson. While it would be very MSU to hire someone that has never coached as a head coach, when one compares their resumes, it's a no brainer.

And Coach Harris has the same political perspective(s) as Coach McCray-Penson, so all of the weakass snowflake political perspectives from the bashing crew would be the same.

This season has been very disappointing, but the same can be said about a lot of programs during these pandemic times. Look at UK, men's team. They are right in the middle of the SEC with our men's team. There are more factors at play here than just X's & O's. Coach Nikki was CUSA Coach of the year @ Old Dominion and was a 2020 WBCA Coach of the Year Finalist. She know basketball. What she needs to figure out is how to get our prima-donnas to perform instead of worrying about Instragram posts. That's one thing about Vic that is missed, the absolute drive to coach and not give AF about player's feelings.

vCash
    When we missed on the higher level proven coaches, it turned into a two candidate race. The one we chose has been terrible. Who knows if Johnnie would be better, but the kids would've been happier. They quit on this coach. Next year, if she's back, she will have nothing. The talent is leaving. There's rumors of another one now and there were already 2 for sure and a third on the fence. A couple gave up their extra year. Four possible starters leaving. It could snowball really fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Harris has NEVER had a head coaching position unlike McCray-Penson. While it would be very MSU to hire someone that has never coached as a head coach, when one compares their resumes, it's a no brainer.

And Coach Harris has the same political perspective(s) as Coach McCray-Penson, so all of the weakass snowflake political perspectives from the bashing crew would be the same.

This season has been very disappointing, but the same can be said about a lot of programs during these pandemic times. Look at UK, men's team. They are right in the middle of the SEC with our men's team. There are more factors at play here than just X's & O's. Coach Nikki was CUSA Coach of the year @ Old Dominion and was a 2020 WBCA Coach of the Year Finalist. She know basketball. What she needs to figure out is how to get our prima-donnas to perform instead of worrying about Instragram posts. That's one thing about Vic that is missed, the absolute drive to coach and not give AF about player's feelings.
    Those prima donnas won 27 games last year and had none of these issues. Get out of here with that shit! These kids who you're calling out had no problem playing for that tough ass coach that didn't give AF about their feelings.

vCash
    Those prima donnas won 27 games last year and had none of these issues. Get out of here with that shit! These kids who you're calling out had no problem playing for that tough ass coach that didn't give AF about their feelings.
    I believe what he's saying is that Vic didn't give them another option. It was his way or the highway. I think that's a big part of the problem with the new coach. She tried to be their friend and is now trying to be a disciplinarian. She can't have it both ways and I doubt the players react very well to all the hot and cold. That's just my guess though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I believe what he's saying is that Vic didn't give them another option. It was his way or the highway. I think that's a big part of the problem with the new coach. She tried to be their friend and is now trying to be a disciplinarian. She can't have it both ways and I doubt the players react very well to all the hot and cold. That's just my guess though.
    If thats true then she needs to be gone. You can always lower your standards buts you can hardly up your standards. If she started out being a hardass then tried to be their friend she is a caring leader. But if you started out being their friend then lowered the boom then they will shove the middle finger up your nose. Everybody knew Vic was a hardass but he was also a supportive mentor, see how he treated Morgan Williams when he told the nation that her dad died.

vCash
    If thats true then she needs to be gone. You can always lower your standards buts you can hardly up your standards. If she started out being a hardass then tried to be their friend she is a caring leader. But if you started out being their friend then lowered the boom then they will shove the middle finger up your nose. Everybody knew Vic was a hardass but he was also a supportive mentor, see how he treated Morgan Williams when he told the nation that her dad died.
    I just think there's a lot of cancers within that team at the moment. We went star chasing and recruiting and got burned. It's going to happen. I mean I know it sounds stupid and when you're winning the problems get overlooked, but the TikToks and the Instagrams before and after the games is just another checkmark that this team isn't bought in. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have fun and live it up, but before a game you probably need to be locked in unless the team is successful when they're loose, and this team isn't successful loose or uptight. I just think it's another thing against Penson. You have to be able to learn how to mold your team and I understand with COVID that being with them and getting to know them was a bit harder, but good coaches establish a culture from Day 1.