Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WBB question for the board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I just think there's a lot of cancers within that team at the moment. We went star chasing and recruiting and got burned. It's going to happen. I mean I know it sounds stupid and when you're winning the problems get overlooked, but the TikToks and the Instagrams before and after the games is just another checkmark that this team isn't bought in. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have fun and live it up, but before a game you probably need to be locked in unless the team is successful when they're loose, and this team isn't successful loose or uptight. I just think it's another thing against Penson. You have to be able to learn how to mold your team and I understand with COVID that being with them and getting to know them was a bit harder, but good coaches establish a culture from Day 1.
    You can watch the game and see 2-3 major cancers getting minutes, plain as day. Everyone knows who they are. No bball team with that many cancers will be worth a lick. Now it wasn't an issue last year so who is to blame? Easy - coach. Yes players should not have that attitude but that is humanity and why a coach has to manage that. Vic kept any cancer at bay throughout his time here which is why we won. Remember he sat 4 starters that year in NCAAT. Not that they were cancers like we have now just attitude adjustments. We have full fledge stage 4 cancer that has spread.

Yep hiring a coach is not easy especially when you don't know what you are doing. A rookie hiring a rookie ain't going to turn out well with two learning on the job. End of day Keenum made a bad decision on JC and now everyone is paying a price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    KO mentioned that she came in third in the interview process. Two questions i have for Cohen are 1. Do you look at the whole body of work of a candidate and secondly did you ever watch Johnnie actions during and after the game. She was always involved with game decisions, the players seemed to respect her and reacted positively to her. It always seemed to me that Vic put her in the limelight she always did postgame interviews on TV and she did outstanding when in the Limelight. Did Vic endorse her for the Job and did she want it???
    You do realize you put Cohen in a 'no win' position. He hired a 'proven' Div 1 Head Coach with a great coaching background, SEC playing and coaching experience and fantastic resume'. If he had hired an unproven Assistant with zero 'Head Coaching' experience, many would have giving him unmitigated hell!

Sometimes, coaches just don't work out. To 'Monday morning QB' this decision is idiotic.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    You do realize you put Cohen in a 'no win' position. He hired a 'proven' Div 1 Head Coach with a great coaching background, SEC playing and coaching experience and fantastic resume'. If he had hired an unproven Assistant with zero 'Head Coaching' experience, many would have giving him unmitigated hell!

Sometimes, coaches just don't work out. To 'Monday morning QB' this decision is idiotic.
    Dan Mullen and Sean Payton approve.

vCash
    My personal theory is that there is a lot of blame to go around. I don?t think Vic particularly liked this bunch and it made it easier to leave.

Reading her body language I think Nikki is fed up with a large part of the roster. I mean she?s been preaching boxing out for 2 months and most of them still don?t even try it. If you can?t get a 5th grade concept right you aren?t going to be good at running an offense.

It?s a flaming mess and Vic, Nikki and the players all share some blame.

At this point we are going to have to burn it down so the question is if Nikki can rebuild it. This off-season will be very telling if there is any chance she can succeed here.

vCash

Sorry, 3 years HC experience at Old Dominion ain't proven. Just because you sat on bench with Dawn Staley doesn't make you a great coach. Her resume had little leadership at HC level.

I don't know how any other coach would have worked out but about like hiring Joe Moorhead. JC makes same mistake twice. Time will tell on Leach but at least he learned to get a guy that has won as HC before. Can't blame him for Leach hire on that front, maybe for other reasons but not experience.

vCash

He wouldn't have gotten hell for hiring a long-time Vic assistant that half the fanbase (and players) wanted anyway.

On paper, he made the correct hire, but Moorhead was the correct hire on paper too, and we're seeing it again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Sorry, 3 years HC experience at Old Dominion ain't proven. Just because you sat on bench with Dawn Staley doesn't make you a great coach. Her resume had little leadership at HC level.

So, you think Johnnie Harris, 8 years as an ASSISTANT COACH is more 'proven?'
    Read the OP. OP asking about hiring Johnnie, an 'unproven assistant.

Some assistant coach hires 'work' and some don't! Mullen worked, Moorhead didn't.

She improved her record at OD every year. Do you understand the WBB history of OD?

Statistics overview
    Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
    Old Dominion Lady Monarchs (Conference USA) (2017–2020)

2017–18 Old Dominion 8–23 6–10 12th
    2018–19 Old Dominion 21–10 10–6 5th WNIT First Round
    2019–20 Old Dominion 24–6 14–4 2nd NCAA canceled due to coronavirus pandemic

vCash

Some assistant coach hires 'work' and some don't! Mullen worked, Moorhead didn't.

She improved her record at OD every year. Do you understand the WBB history of OD?

Statistics overview

Yep the original Question was Should Johnnie been offered the Job. In another thread I wondered if she was even interviewed and was told she came in 3rd. It was in no way meant to cast anything disparaging in the current coaches direction. Personally I was always impressed with the job that Johnnie did during the game and how the players reacted to her coaching during the game.

vCash
    I don't know if Johnnie would have worked out. I find it odd that she has never been a head coach at this point in her career. She honestly doesn't seem like the disciplinarian type. She seems more like the good cop to Vic's bad cop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    do you think that Johnnie should've been offered the job??
    Back to the original question - Johnnie Harris was as much or more of crap shoot than NMP. 22 years as an assistant with no HC experience leaves you with question marks. Maybe she just needs a chance, but notice that she is right back where she has been for the last 13 years - sitting next to Vic on the bench. Sometimes, people are just career assistant coaches and nothing is wrong with that.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    If it's truly a situation where Penson is ridding the locker room of cancers on the team then I think she'll be given 3 years. I don't believe that she magically forgot how to coach overnight so it leaves the two options of A) she's got some problems she needs to purge the locker room of or B) she's just not a good enough coach to succeed at this level. If it's the first then I will applaud her. I may not like her, but I applauded Leach for doing the same thing so I feel like I need to be consistent.

vCash
    My wife played college basketball. Her coach the first year was an All-American when she played. That year was her first head coach job and she didn’t know shit about coaching. Her second season my wife sat near her on the bench and was asked what would you do questions during the games. She moved on after that and became an assistant football coach the rest of her career.

vCash

Statistics overview

You ain't read my posts. I have never said JH is a proven coach. The original post was several pages ago, keep up with the topic if you are gonna go attack mode.

Apples and oranges comparing Mullen to NMP. Do you understand the state of MSU WBB when she was hired? We were #2 in country in wins the past 4 years only a win or two behind Uconn.

Hiring an unproven HC for a mediocre program like our football vs a national brand is no comparison. Take that somewhere else.

vCash
    You ain't read my posts. I have never said JH is a proven coach. The original post was several pages ago, keep up with the topic if you are gonna go attack mode.
    I was replying to the question about Johnnie, NOT YOU in the first part of the post and added the part about her experience, which you apparently took personally. She took over a down program and improved it every year, for three years in a row. She breathed life back into a program that had a proud history of winning 10 National Championships.

And, my point is 3 year's experience as a HC at OD is a lot more 'experience' than a 22 year career assistant.