Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Pitching realities

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,163
    vCash
    600

    Pitching realities

    Cerantola just doesn?t have it. He shouldnt be a starter.

    MacLeod has had 2 bad starts where he cant control his stuff, cant get batters out, and is run off in the 4th. Right now hes a Sunday guy. Maybe he immediately goes back to his elite status of last year, but 2 identical bad starts is reason for concern.

    Bednar has some injury more serious than a sore neck. Now, IF its not a serious injury, and IF hes as good as advertised, then we currently have a small pitching matchup on Saturday.

    Also, Sims and Price are the only proven guys in the pen. We have a lot of talented arms so I think we?ll find him, but we do need another long reliever to chew a couple innings. Harding? Smith?

    We NEED MacLeod to be himself from last year. We NEED Bednar to be what we think he is. We NEED a new Sunday guy to emerge. And we NEED a 2nd reliever for middle innings

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1200
    Yeah, I’m starting to think Cerantola just has problems when the game is not intersquad anymore. But, it looked to me like he was overthrowing today. I’d like to see him throw a nice easy 93 mph fastball and see how things go.

    We have a lot of young talented pitchers that will hopefully mature and improve.

    We really look like an inexperienced team which we are to a certain extent. Hopefully we can just improve steadily throughout the year.

  3. #3
    Senior Member KOdawg1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    6,237
    vCash
    2674
    I think Cerantola should get a few more opportunities to prove that he can do it, but if he can't get it done, then yes a change will have to be made. The guy hasn't shown he can consistently throw strikes in 3 years.

    I think MacLeod's problem is he just needs to calm tf down. He's started off the last two starts okay, but in both starts, he's let little mistakes snowball into disasters. Hopefully Bednar can come back and be reliable.

    I'd personally give KC Hunt a start in the midweek to see how he'd do. He's looked very good in relief appearance so far. He and Frsitoe would give you options in case one of the three weekend guys gets hurt or doesn't work out. You also have Brandon Smith who has been around and can give you a start or come out of the bullpen in long relief.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,634
    vCash
    1223
    The all world staff we thought we had appears right now to be smoke and mirrors

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,265
    vCash
    600
    Baseball is a long season. We’ve played 6 games. Cerantola has pitched once. Let’s not jump the gun and start claiming absolutes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,363
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Baseball is a long season. We’ve played 6 games. Cerantola has pitched once. Let’s not jump the gun and start claiming absolutes.
    This

  7. #7
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34,242
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    The all world staff we thought we had appears right now to be smoke and mirrors
    There was a reason why I made my thread on here about how our pitchers that throw hard are also really young a few weeks ago after Lemonis made his comment about all of the hard throwing pitchers that we had.

    The problem is MacLeoud has become a Konnor Pilkington his junior year clone. That's unexpected. We knew Cerentola could go either way. Of course, with us being MSU it looks like wild thing Cerentola so far. Bednar will be fine. We'll see what Jackson Fristoe gives us tomorrow. He's apparently the next man up. And if worse comes to worse Brandon Smith has looked good so far too.

    It's more than just the pitching staff though- this weekend the defense has been a little sloppy- moreso in game one. Hitting with RISP has been inconsistent.

    The good news is we have two easy series the next two weekends where we should go no worse than 4-2 and should go 6-0. That's going to give our pitching staff a chance to work through some things before SEC play. Among other things that we need to work on.

    Ultimately we'll be fine. Our two losses have been to respectable teams. But we have to have some guys perform better on the pitching staff and at SS.

  8. #8
    Senior Member basedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,460
    vCash
    600
    Patience is what Msu fans needs, this staff will be fine when the season moves alone. Injuries and inexperience occur and take time and each weak we will start improving with this staff.

    Too many fans put to much thinking a 96-98 fastball is the answer, it's the ability to throw strikes, movement of the baseball and locations. Walks are a killer as well as errors, it puts more strain on a pitcher throwing too many pitches and his thought process is shot. Oh, how many times have I seen or heard about how great someone is at practice, and like Iverson said "It's practice man"!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1200
    Yeah, some guys are practice players and some are game players.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    15,286
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Patience is what Msu fans needs, this staff will be fine when the season moves alone. Injuries and inexperience occur and take time and each weak we will start improving with this staff.

    Too many fans put to much thinking a 96-98 fastball is the answer, it's the ability to throw strikes, movement of the baseball and locations. Walks are a killer as well as errors, it puts more strain on a pitcher throwing too many pitches and his thought process is shot. Oh, how many times have I seen or heard about how great someone is at practice, and like Iverson said "It's practice man"!
    Amen to all you just said!

  11. #11
    Senior Member BrunswickDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Home of Slay, GA
    Posts
    9,846
    vCash
    206152
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Amen to all you just said!
    People seem to forget that the reason we have a month of OOC games is to tune up. Practice means nothing - live games are how you work the kinks out. Talented teams find a way to win these tune ups when everything is going wrong. Look around at other games around the country and notice none of the teams that will probably be in Omaha are undefeated - and we are only 6 games into the season.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    15,286
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    People seem to forget that the reason we have a month of OOC games is to tune up. Practice means nothing - live games are how you work the kinks out. Talented teams find a way to win these tune ups when everything is going wrong. Look around at other games around the country and notice none of the teams that will probably be in Omaha are undefeated - and we are only 6 games into the season.
    Yep exactly. Baseball is not a sport for fans who want instant gratification. It's a marathon not a sprint.

  13. #13
    Senior Member maroonmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16,287
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Baseball is a long season. We’ve played 6 games. Cerantola has pitched once. Let’s not jump the gun and start claiming absolutes.
    Its not the one game, its really more the one game coupled with his history that is the problem. He looked yesterday just like he has always looked. That is like he has no idea where the strike zone is.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,288
    vCash
    1888
    Wrong thread.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,909
    vCash
    600
    If we had an SEC series net week- who would be our 1,2,3?

    1-Harding
    2-Macleod
    3-Bednar (Fristoe if the neck is still injured)

    Sims could start but we have dudes that may not make the 4th inning. We need reliable long relief

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,265
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Its not the one game, its really more the one game coupled with his history that is the problem. He looked yesterday just like he has always looked. That is like he has no idea where the strike zone is.
    I understand. But so much of his history is old. He only pitched 17 innings last season. He’s only pitched 2.1 this season. We are now 7 games into what could be a 70 game season. If Foxhall and Lemonis think he should start, then I’m not ready to just give up on him this early. In time, we may see that he shouldn’t be a starter. But I don’t think at this moment that it is 100% fact that he shouldn’t be a starter. That’s my opinion. If he’s not a weekend starter, maybe he can be a midweek starter. Or a starter next year.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Coach34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24,267
    vCash
    110
    We have one of the best pitching staffs in the country.

    Cerentola gets a couple more starts- but if he doesnt put it together his ass goes back to midweek. Price and Self just dont have it. Let Self be the 1st base coach and Price be the bullpen coach. Price threw 1 fastball today in his first 14 pitches as Closer. Thats not an SEC-level closer. Thats a reliever that comes in to face 1 batter or two and then is pulled. He is a match-up guy now.

    Sims is not a starter yet- but is dominant for 3-4 innings. So u match him up with one of our LH'ed SP's and use them as a tandem. Macleod/Sims would be a good one
    Keep running Fristoe out there. Let him learn, grow, and get better. He needs to be the #3 this year because of his talent plus what it will do to help next season.
    Smith needs a good 4 inning outing every weekend- tandem him with a lefty also- Harding?

    Bednar should be ready next weekend- and that will also help answer some questions. Cade Smith likely returns by the end of March and he will also bolster the staff as he is Fristoe level as well
    Just out here kicking rocks

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,265
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We have one of the best pitching staffs in the country.

    Cerentola gets a couple more starts- but if he doesnt put it together his ass goes back to midweek. Price and Self just dont have it. Let Self be the 1st base coach and Price be the bullpen coach. Price threw 1 fastball today in his first 14 pitches as Closer. Thats not an SEC-level closer. Thats a reliever that comes in to face 1 batter or two and then is pulled. He is a match-up guy now.

    Sims is not a starter yet- but is dominant for 3-4 innings. So u match him up with one of our LH'ed SP's and use them as a tandem. Macleod/Sims would be a good one
    Keep running Fristoe out there. Let him learn, grow, and get better. He needs to be the #3 this year because of his talent plus what it will do to help next season.
    Smith needs a good 4 inning outing every weekend- tandem him with a lefty also- Harding?

    Bednar should be ready next weekend- and that will also help answer some questions. Cade Smith likely returns by the end of March and he will also bolster the staff as he is Fristoe level as well
    Agreed on Cerantola.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,909
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We have one of the best pitching staffs in the country.

    Cerentola gets a couple more starts- but if he doesnt put it together his ass goes back to midweek. Price and Self just dont have it. Let Self be the 1st base coach and Price be the bullpen coach. Price threw 1 fastball today in his first 14 pitches as Closer. Thats not an SEC-level closer. Thats a reliever that comes in to face 1 batter or two and then is pulled. He is a match-up guy now.

    Sims is not a starter yet- but is dominant for 3-4 innings. So u match him up with one of our LH'ed SP's and use them as a tandem. Macleod/Sims would be a good one
    Keep running Fristoe out there. Let him learn, grow, and get better. He needs to be the #3 this year because of his talent plus what it will do to help next season.
    Smith needs a good 4 inning outing every weekend- tandem him with a lefty also- Harding?

    Bednar should be ready next weekend- and that will also help answer some questions. Cade Smith likely returns by the end of March and he will also bolster the staff as he is Fristoe level as well
    Seems cruel to start Cerantola. The “starter” pressure could be a factor. Why not let a guy like Koestler start and get to the 3rd and then bring on Cerantola in a clean inning with another guy already stretched and maybe throwing.

    I recall Daniel Brown struggle as a starter in 2016, he moved to the pen and became a key bullpen stud.

    In fact, I recall Pilk then got to open the games. He did great in the role, no complete games. But good service.

    That all bought time for Zac Houston to find his way in high-end performance and starting

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,163
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We have one of the best pitching staffs in the country.

    Cerentola gets a couple more starts- but if he doesnt put it together his ass goes back to midweek. Price and Self just dont have it. Let Self be the 1st base coach and Price be the bullpen coach. Price threw 1 fastball today in his first 14 pitches as Closer. Thats not an SEC-level closer. Thats a reliever that comes in to face 1 batter or two and then is pulled. He is a match-up guy now.

    Sims is not a starter yet- but is dominant for 3-4 innings. So u match him up with one of our LH'ed SP's and use them as a tandem. Macleod/Sims would be a good one
    Keep running Fristoe out there. Let him learn, grow, and get better. He needs to be the #3 this year because of his talent plus what it will do to help next season.
    Smith needs a good 4 inning outing every weekend- tandem him with a lefty also- Harding?

    Bednar should be ready next weekend- and that will also help answer some questions. Cade Smith likely returns by the end of March and he will also bolster the staff as he is Fristoe level as well
    We have one of the best staffs in the country... yet have no closer, no clue about our Saturday guy, no Sunday guy, and need true Fr to develop fast to fill in holes? That?s not an elite staff. If might be if things all break our way, but right now there?s no way you can say we have a great staff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.