Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who hit the longest HR you've ever seen at DNF?

vCash
    Conner Powers as far as myself in person. Went dead center and I don’t think it’s landed yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Del Bender - what a hit over left field lounge back in the day when it was open - 1977/1978 timeframe.
    This was undoubtedly the longest HR in DNF history. I sat there for ten minutes calculating in my head how far that ball went, and I just kept saying holy shit, what am I doing wrong? But I know what I saw. A few years ago I went to a NASA website and input the estimated wind speed, altitude, humidity, etc., into a calculator and the NASA calculator said it actually went 25 feet farther than my estimate, so I stuck with my eyeballed calculation just to be conservative. I'd tell everybody how far that ball went, but they'd think I was a effing idiot. But what they'd need to know is that not only was Bender a lanky long ball hitter who hit it *perfectly*, he also had a 30 mph wind at his back, and he hit it with an aluminum bat. Chew on that for a while.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    This was undoubtedly the longest HR in DNF history. I sat there for ten minutes calculating in my head how far that ball went, and I just kept saying holy shit, what am I doing wrong? But I know what I saw. A few years ago I went to a NASA website and input the estimated wind speed, altitude, humidity, etc., into a calculator and the NASA calculator said it actually went 25 feet farther than my estimate, so I stuck with my eyeballed calculation just to be conservative. I'd tell everybody how far that ball went, but they'd think I was a effing idiot. But what they'd need to know is that not only was Bender a lanky long ball hitter who hit it *perfectly*, he also had a 30 mph wind at his back, and he hit it with an aluminum bat. Chew on that for a while.

Don?t think Bender had an aluminum bat. Wood back then but I could be wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Don?t think Bender had an aluminum bat. Wood back then but I could be wrong
    Started using aluminum bats in ?75 if I?m not mistaken. My first game at DNF was in ?77 and they were using aluminum then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    I’d like that number please.

vCash
    1) Bobby Dalbec from AZ

2) Mason Katz from LSU

vCash
    Talking bout longest home runs, Phil Still who IMO was the all time best 3rd baseman at Msu, hit a truly BOMB at Vandy in very early 70's in Sec Championship game in Nashville. Ball landed where the Vandy "gym" is, wood bat, I don't know how far but it was a shot! Folks were saying it was a "Mickey Mantle" tape measure shot. Me and three others drove up to watch and party like it was going out of style that weekend, LOL!

How bout the greatest home run ever hit at the Dudy, Burke Masters blast and may be the loudest crowd noise celebration as well. I've seen so many great games from early 70's up till now, we are a baseball school!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    I miss gorilla ball but I have a great appreciation for the small ball era
    If I recall, a MSU pitcher in the CWS got the shit knocked out of him on a come backer that made the news rounds and that play seemed to be the final straw to reduce bat sizes. I'm sure there were prior incidents but that play just may have been the one that tipped things towards reducing bat size.

vCash
    Anyone remember the moon shot Troy Glaus hit in CWS at Rosenblatt in 97? Was there for that. Either Hank Thoms or Chris Reinike gave it up.

vCash
    Saw Palmeiro put one on the road in RF during a game. His last season Big Mac cleared the lounge just left of center during batting practice.

I missed the Frank Thomas bomb but remember hearing about it. Saw Fred Cooley from USM hit one that would have easily hit the track bleachers but it went about 10 feet foul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Conner Powers as far as myself in person. Went dead center and I don’t think it’s landed yet.
    I may remember the one you are talking about. We were the first rig in the second row just left of center and he hit one that landed right in the center of our food table. Bratwurst and other shit went everywhere. I saw it coming but had just taken a big bite of brat. I tried to warn everybody around the table but just got out a sound like UHGGGN!

vCash
    That's got to be a nominee. That ball was lost!!

vCash
    What JOEBOB said......Before most of Y?alls time, Del Bender hit a MASSIVE one over left field if memory serves......
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 02-28-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Nice. Proven wrong.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Bo knows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Stephen Head into the parking lot behind the RF
    Yep...and it was a freezing cold Friday nite. Would hate to see where that ball would have landed on a warm afternoon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Saw Palmeiro put one on the road in RF during a game. His last season Big Mac cleared the lounge just left of center during batting practice.

I missed the Frank Thomas bomb but remember hearing about it. Saw Fred Cooley from USM hit one that would have easily hit the track bleachers but it went about 10 feet foul.
    what about Joey (don't call me Albert) Belle?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    I want to say mine was Frank Thomas but I'm not sure bc of time ago
    Stephen Head
    No Signature