Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Vic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Because what was going on was a private matter. Nothing illegal by Vic or against NCAA rules. Literally off the court family issues.
    This is 100% correct. Cohen and him had a couple issues on assistants but we would've worked through that. Cohen and Mississippi State had nothing to do with why Vic ultimately left. But it was good cover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    True, that is what makes me mad wasted that much money on a losing program that we could use to build other programs. WBB is done now.
    I personally don't consider it wasted money any time we spend on a sport that we can be consistently nationally relevant in. Outside of baseball we have never really had a 2nd sport where we could be nationally relevant until Vic brought us that in WBB. Looks like that is likely going away though. But we can spend until we are blue in the face and hire 50 additional recruiting people but we will still never be able to gain that kind of national relevance in football or men's BB. In those 2 sports there are just too many already established elite programs with much more history and much larger fanbases that are 'all in' to allow us to compete at a national level except maybe once in a blue moon where everything sort of lines up for us like in 2014. And all the NCAA rules currently in place (like the glut of football scholarships allowed) are helpful in keeping programs with their 'have' or 'have not' status in those sports because that's the way the PTB want it. So if Vic were still here keeping our WBB at the very top I would be fine with spending whatever but if we are headed back toward mediocrity then I really don't care if we spend much of anything on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    If we “have the money” then we need to reallocate it so we don’t have 3 people doing the same job in football that Alabama has 15 people doing. Do you really not realize that we lose money on women’s basketball? Dumping money into a sport that no one gives a shit about is ridiculously stupid. It was fine to offer Vic a large contract to stay since he had built it into a giant and it gave a lot of good publicity to the school but we don’t need to go buy out a coach and take money away from sports that matter to fans just to try and recapture some lucky genie in a bottle shit in a sport that loses money even when they are elite. The only sports that make money at MSU are football, baseball, and men’s basketball. Those are the only sports we should be breaking the bank to try and get hires right. The minute we buy out a coach for losing in women’s basketball or any other non revenue producing sport is the minute we need a new AD.

https://247sports.com/college/missis...get-139822486/
    We could put every extra cent and every other sports budget into football and it wouldn't change a thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is 100% correct. Cohen and him had a couple issues on assistants but we would've worked through that. Cohen and Mississippi State had nothing to do with why Vic ultimately left. But it was good cover.
    This!!!! Vic just used it to not look like the bad guy leaving. Vic wanted to be back in Texas.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I personally don't consider it wasted money any time we spend on a sport that we can be consistently nationally relevant in. Outside of baseball we have never really had a 2nd sport where we could be nationally relevant until Vic brought us that in WBB. Looks like that is likely going away though. But we can spend until we are blue in the face and hire 50 additional recruiting people but we will still never be able to gain that kind of national relevance in football or men's BB. In those 2 sports there are just too many already established elite programs with much more history and much larger fanbases that are 'all in' to allow us to compete at a national level except maybe once in a blue moon where everything sort of lines up for us like in 2014. And all the NCAA rules currently in place (like the glut of football scholarships allowed) are helpful in keeping programs with their 'have' or 'have not' status in those sports because that's the way the PTB want it. So if Vic were still here keeping our WBB at the very top I would be fine with spending whatever but if we are headed back toward mediocrity then I really don't care if we spend much of anything on it.
    If we spend an extra 500K on football every year and it means we win an average of 1 more game per year than we would have if we did not spend that money I would rather do that than win a national championship in (insert irrelevant sport).we currently pay Mason Smith about 35K a year. That’s not going to cut it. We may never be nationally relevant in football but we need to do everything possible to catch lightning in a bottle once or twice more than we could have. I would like to see us win a conference title in football before I die. Women’s basketball is something I will be proud of when we are good but it’s not worth taking money away from sports that matter to me. JMHO.
    Last edited by Jarius; 02-24-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    That and Bama has a brand new 10 million dollar recruiting suite for football. 10 million dollars! Just for a room where they take recruits. Combine that with the 15 people they have to break down literally every play a team runs along with scouting their own team. We going to lose forever.
    Which is why I laugh when people say “we have the money, just spend it”. No we don?t. If we did we wouldn’t be that far behind in sports that matter (outside of baseball).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We could put every extra cent and every other sports budget into football and it wouldn't change a thing.
    Absolutely, can't believe fans are so willing to just throw away a program we were competing for national championships in. For football we play for a nice bowl destination and in men's BB we play for a ticket to the NCAA tournament. That's it, nothing more nothing less and I don't really see that changing much no matter what we do.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Bull. There comes a point to where you get diminishing returns on having money. We aren’t there yet, but the big time schools are there. We will eventually start making up ground on them because there is only so many things you can do when you update everything and hire all of you off field people. If we put an extra couple of million a year into football on top of the natural growth we get from sec contract money each year we would make up some ground. We will never make up enough ground to turn into an elite program but we can get closer with more money.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Absolutely, can't believe fans are so willing to just throw away a program we were competing for national championships in. For football we play for a nice bowl destination and in men's BB we play for a ticket to the NCAA tournament. That's it, nothing more nothing less and I don't really see that changing much no matter what we do.
    Most people don’t care about watching a sport where 90 % of intramural teams in the Sanderson center could Beat the national champion in a pickup game. That’s why our elite team still costed our school money. People don’t pay to watch mediocre athletes, even if those mediocre athletes are a lot better than the athletes they are competing against.
    Last edited by Jarius; 02-24-2021 at 02:56 PM.

vCash
    Most people don’t care about watching a sport where 90 % of intramural teams in the Sanderson center could Beat the national champion in a pickup game. That’s why our elite team still costed our school money. People don’t pay to watch mediocre athletes, even if those mediocre athletes are a lot better than the athletes they are competing against.
    I don't know the exact numbers but I would assume baseball cost us money as well. If it doesn't its only because the NCAA doesn't allow hardly any baseball scholarships so we have a lot of players footing their own bill to play. But I will agree I only care about WBB if its something we can compete in nationally. If we are going to be run of the mill then I could not care less about it. I still don't see us making much headway in football because its going to be so hard just to break into the top half of the SEC and stay there. We can make ground up nationally but when you are still in the back half of your own conference I'm not sure what good that does you.

vCash
    I would like to see us win a conference title in football before I die.
    I guess I've already made peace with myself that Kevin Prentiss's punt return against TN in the 98 SECCG is the closest I will ever come to seeing us win a conference title in football in my lifetime.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I don't know the exact numbers but I would assume baseball cost us money as well. If it doesn't its only because the NCAA doesn't allow hardly any baseball scholarships so we have a lot of players footing their own bill to play. But I will agree I only care about WBB if its something we can compete in nationally. If we are going to be run of the mill then I could not care less about it. I still don't see us making much headway in football because its going to be so hard just to break into the top half of the SEC and stay there. We can make ground up nationally but when you are still in the back half of your own conference I'm not sure what good that does you.
    I posted an article in this thread on the first page that shows the only 2 sports that make us money are baseball and football. Men’s basketball could if they were good so we need to continue to invest in that. I just believe we need to invest everything we can into the sports that the most people care about and the most people care about are sports that make the school money. Going off and spending an extra million dollars to bribe our old coach back to a sport that loses money when they play in multiple national championships in a few years time is just not smart or fair to the fans who have made their voice heard with their pocket books that these sports are what they truly care about.
    Last edited by Jarius; 02-24-2021 at 03:21 PM.

vCash
    Irritating part is I bet we could have hired Johnnie Harris as HC for less money than what we are paying NMP and still would have probably gotten much better results.

vCash
    I guess I've already made peace with myself that Kevin Prentiss's punt return against TN in the 98 SECCG is the closest I will ever come to seeing us win a conference title in football in my lifetime.
    We need a bulldog fan contingent to go sell their soul to the devil and it could happen. I?m a practicing Catholic so that?s a firm no from me. But we probably have many modern secular humanists that don?t even believe in god, these boys just need to make the deal, take one for the team.

By the way, we got closer than KPs return in Atlanta. We once had Cam Newton ringing a cowbell and verbally committed.

vCash
    Irritating part is I bet we could have hired Johnnie Harris as HC for less money than what we are paying NMP and still would have probably gotten much better results.
    If JC were an options trader, he would have recognized the free option of getting the candidate already under contract. Let Johnnie win her permanent placement. That’s how Clemson lucked into Dabo.

vCash
    I posted an article in this thread on the first page that shows the only 2 sports that make us money are baseball and football. Men?s basketball could if they were good so we need to continue to invest in that. I just believe we need to invest everything we can into the sports that the most people care about and the most people care about are sports that make the school money. Going off and spending an extra million dollars to bribe our old coach back to a sport that loses money when they play in multiple national championships in a few years time is just not smart or fair to the fans who have made their voice heard with their pocket books that these sports are what they truly care about.
    I mean, we aren't in the same galaxy as several blue bloods and lesser teams money wise. Then you've got the whole Title 9 situation you can't get around. It's simply not possible.

vCash
    Me too. That moment in the Georgia Dome was the happiest Ive ever been as a Dawg- and 23 years later I realize that was the pinnacle for me as a State fan. I'll never forget us running out of the tunnel before kickoff. It was better than in 91 when we won the SEC basketball title in Starkville over LSU
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Me too. That moment in the Georgia Dome was the happiest Ive ever been as a Dawg- and 23 years later I realize that was the pinnacle for me as a State fan. I'll never forget us running out of the tunnel before kickoff. It was better than in 91 when we won the SEC basketball title in Starkville over LSU
    I was there as well. 14 years old. If only I had known then what being a State fan was really like. My dad constantly told me to “not get used to this”. He’s never been more right.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I mean, we aren't in the same galaxy as several blue bloods and lesser teams money wise. Then you've got the whole Title 9 situation you can't get around. It's simply not possible.
    We may can get a level above where we are. We can get to the point to where we are paying our best off the field recruiter more than 35K a year. We can get to where we are at least hiring half the off the field staff as the blue bloods. That won’t make us Alabama but it could make us have Auburn success one day. Maybe not. I don’t care about women’s basketball and neither does anyone else. That’s why they lose money. Wanting to pay top dollar for a women’s basketball coach is insane. Maybe pouring as much money as we can into football won’t give us one single extra win than we otherwise would doing it the current way. I would rather die trying than to just accept our place in the basement in the sport that this state and our fanbase lives and breathes. So would most everyone else judging by how much gets donated to football.
    Last edited by Jarius; 02-24-2021 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    Because what was going on was a private matter. Nothing illegal by Vic or against NCAA rules. Literally off the court family issues.
    What is family issues in TX? I have an educated guess.