Thread: Pujols to retire

vCash

Pujols to retire

Wished he would play longer to get the HR record.

vCash
    Best player for about a decade in the National League. Amazing career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Best player for about a decade in the National League. Amazing career.
    Don't forget what he did with the Angels. But when he was with the Cards he was the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Wished he would play longer to get the HR record.
    He?s too far away to get the record at 40. Would take him at least 5 more years to break it

vCash
    Was just a truly dominant hitter for a long time and could do all the little things too. Great base runner and most people don't know this but he was a great hunter too.

vCash
    Don't be surprised if he hangs around long enough to get to 700.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Don't be surprised if he hangs around long enough to get to 700.
    I didn't realize Angel Stadium was considered a pitcher's park, I could see Pujols making the rounds of AL teams at the minimum salary going for bond's record.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    He would have 40 more homers right now if he would hqve just stayed in St Louis. He should be a HOF guy. Hope he does hang around as a DH long enough to get the record.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    He should be a HOF guy.
    Understatement of the year

vCash
    He was amazing in STL but when he left he was average. Reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr after he left Seattle. He just wasn't the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    He was amazing in STL but when he left he was average. Reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr after he left Seattle. He just wasn't the same.
    Not really, Jr. had a ton of injuries that severely limited his playing time and AB?s his time in Cin. Especially during his first 5 seasons. Pujols didn?t hardly ever miss games outside of 2013 when he played in 99 games that season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    I didn't realize Angel Stadium was considered a pitcher's park, I could see Pujols making the rounds of AL teams at the minimum salary going for bond's record.
    I'd like to see him go to Kansas City for a year since that is where he lived for awhile or if they have a universal DH- St. Louis. But that's fantasy.

I think he made a mistake when he left the Cardinals. He probably would have replaced Musial as the greatest Cardinal of all time. He would have been with a much better team with a better overall surrounding cast- and yes, I know Mike Trout plays for the Angels so I'm not saying the cupboard was totally bare there or anything like that. The Angels tend to get a lot of players that are past their prime and have "names" and they don't rely on player development enough. Would have had Matt Holliday in his prime for a few years as well as some guys like Matt Carpenter in his prime to drive in not to mention that the Cardinals typically have solid pitching.

I don't totally fault him- Mo handled that poorly IMO trying to look cute and smart. I would have been fine if they basically went up to Pujols with a blank check and said what do you want? Instead they tried to give him a short contract with a high AAV.

I'll say this too- Pujols is the best first baseman of all time. Will hit close to 700 home runs which is around Willie Mays territory, could hit for average, was a very good baserunner even though he wasn't fast and won some gold gloves at first.

vCash
    Junior tore his shoulder up and never was the same. Tom Glavine cost him the single season HR Record/

vCash
    I'd like to see him go to Kansas City for a year since that is where he lived for awhile or if they have a universal DH- St. Louis. But that's fantasy.

I think he made a mistake when he left the Cardinals. He probably would have replaced Musial as the greatest Cardinal of all time. He would have been with a much better team with a better overall surrounding cast- and yes, I know Mike Trout plays for the Angels so I'm not saying the cupboard was totally bare there or anything like that. The Angels tend to get a lot of players that are past their prime and have "names" and they don't rely on player development enough. Would have had Matt Holliday in his prime for a few years as well as some guys like Matt Carpenter in his prime to drive in not to mention that the Cardinals typically have solid pitching.

I don't totally fault him- Mo handled that poorly IMO trying to look cute and smart. I would have been fine if they basically went up to Pujols with a blank check and said what do you want? Instead they tried to give him a short contract with a high AAV.

I'll say this too- Pujols is the best first baseman of all time. Will hit close to 700 home runs which is around Willie Mays territory, could hit for average, was a very good baserunner even though he wasn't fast and won some gold gloves at first.
    He is at Willie Mays mark now.

vCash
    I'll say this too- Pujols is the best first baseman of all time.
    Henry Louis Gehrig still way out front