-HUGE start to the season. We're a hit away from being 3-0 vs. three of the top 10 teams in the country when two of our three weekend guys didn't pitch and 5 of our top 12 pitchers didn't even make the trip. There's not many teams in the country that you can give those circumstances to that would win one game, much less two. Gutsy performance by everyone this weekend.

-There's never been more pitching talent on an MSU team in our history. I mean, we've got double digit guys who can come out and pump 94+. That's what wins national championships. We saw it with Vandy two years ago. The talent on this staff is unreal. I thought Jackson Fristoe looked really good at times today and like a freshman at others. He's got electric stuff, he just needs to harness it a little. KC Hunt looked really good in the 8th. We've got to cut down on the free passes though. 18 walks and 4 HBPs in three games is ENTIRELY too much. Just cut those in half, and we'll be alright.

-Hitting was an adventure this weekend like I had a feeling it would be this year. Besides Rowdy, the top of the lineup was MIA. James and Allen will have to step it up, especially since we're a lefty heavy lineup. If it were up to me (and I know it's entirely too early to start tweaking with the lineup), I'd move Dubrule to leadoff, push Rowdy to 2nd, and bump James down to 7th. Scotty is a contact guy who will find a way on base, and Rowdy is showing that he has some pop, so you want guys on base with him up. The bottom of the order surprised the hell out of me though. Hatcher and Hancock had a helluva a series. What's encouraging about them is that they continued to rake regardless of the lefty-righty split. Landon Jordan had a good series, and I thought McGowan looked decent. Cumbest got a big hit today, but I still cringe when he bats. Still think he should drop football and focus on baseball, but I get football is paying his scholarship. This lineup isn't going to be the best in the SEC, but they have potential and I was encouraged by what I saw this weekend. Moving forward, it'll be interesting to see if we just forget about Pimentel, how Skinner changes things when he comes back, and if Kellum Clark gets any opportunities.

We're in for a fun year boys and gals. Buckle up and enjoy it.
HAIL STATE