Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Wow! Whoever runs the women's basketball Twitter account

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Pretty much agree here. I don't know if Mitchell is the answer but he may be. Who care about the bad press; we got bad press now; the press just ain't saying it. We are total trash as a program and team now. If anyone thinks the press is bad now just wait 3 years.

All media folks can say is what a great player she was, how many years she played in WNBA, ties to Pat Summit, Dawn Staley, etc. She has done 0 as a head coach. We must quit hiring off potential unless we have no choice. MSU WBB was not in that shape. We may be at the next hire though.
    But here's the problem with that. The national media doesn't give a rip if the women's team is good or if they're bad, but if we fire a coach after one year, and especially a minority woman coach, you can bet your ass they'll care A LOT. Fair or not, it's the political climate we're in. Barring an off the court issue, she'll get a minimum of two years. Her success or failure isn't going to doom Cohen, his future is tied to Leach and it was from the moment that we hired him. NMP is going to get time. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see her get 3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Street View Post
    I am curious as to why some fans want to fire coach Penson after one season, but have not been calling for the firing of coach Howland.

Howland has only one NCAA Tournament appearance in five seasons. He has an SEC record of 49-55.
    Because Howland took over a program that was beyond dumpster fire levels of bad and he's just gotten it back to a competitive respectable level in the last 2 years. We had maybe 1 to 2 SEC Talent players on the roster his first year. Penson had 3 McD AAs on the program she took over. I'm not really sure the comparison you're trying to make here. Howland's teams are frustrating but they play hard.

vCash
    I am curious as to why some fans want to fire coach Penson after one season, but have not been calling for the firing of coach Howland.

Howland has only one NCAA Tournament appearance in five seasons. He has an SEC record of 49-55.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I call for Penson's dismissal as head coach and would be willing to go either way with Ben Howland is this simple. The women's program under NMP is currently an embarrassment. She inherited a strong program and has proceeded to drive it into the ground. Ben, on the other hand, doesn't have a program that is an embarrassment. The biggest issue I have with Ben's program is that we will take two steps forward and then two steps backward. So, I'd be willing to make a change to see if someone else can get them over the hump, but I also realize that it could get a lot worse. With NMP, it can't really get much worse. Giving her a second season pretty much ensures the death of the women's program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    But here's the problem with that. The national media doesn't give a rip if the women's team is good or if they're bad, but if we fire a coach after one year, and especially a minority woman coach, you can bet your ass they'll care A LOT. Fair or not, it's the political climate we're in. Barring an off the court issue, she'll get a minimum of two years. Her success or failure isn't going to doom Cohen, his future is tied to Leach and it was from the moment that we hired him. NMP is going to get time. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see her get 3 years.
    I hear you and agree with you. At this point we either trash our program or do something and take out lumps. I hate to was the Vic years and all the good we built.

The same thing happened with Croom. I said when we hired him, it would either be the best thing we ever did or the worst, well it was the worst. We had bad for 5 years and Byrne had the guts to do something about it.

Well fastforward, here we are again but Cohen made the hire. Only way this changes is a new AD. If she stays 5 years, we'll have a 50-110 record and program nuked from ground up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I call for Penson's dismissal as head coach and would be willing to go either way with Ben Howland is this simple. The women's program under NMP is currently an embarrassment. She inherited a strong program and has proceeded to drive it into the ground. Ben, on the other hand, doesn't have a program that is an embarrassment. The biggest issue I have with Ben's program is that we will take two steps forward and then two steps backward. So, I'd be willing to make a change to see if someone else can get them over the hump, but I also realize that it could get a lot worse. With NMP, it can't really get much worse. Giving her a second season pretty much ensures the death of the women's program.
    Yep totally agree.

Really apples and oranges comparisons of both programs when they took over; can't believe anyone would make the comparison. Anyone that knows what day of the week it is for MSU basketball knows they are totally different.

I am ready to see a girl fight on the bench if that is what it takes. With the way some players effort is, there needs to be a fight among this team somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    When Vic told Cohen he was leaving Vic should've then told Cohen to hire Johnnie. Then She should've gotten the job offer. If she declined then the search should've commenced. Was JH offered the job? Did Vic recommend her?
    Good questions but I don't think Cohen would have listened. Vic probably knew that and felt like he was in no position to be telling AD anything after he turned his notice in. Like when I drag up at work I have any say in how things are done upon my leaving.

vCash
    A better comparison would be comparing her to JoVester. You had people on here <ahem> saying he wasn’t going to work out during his 1st season because he couldn’t coach the talent he had. We look to be in the same boat now in WBB. She’ll get at least another year- and something better change.

And guys don’t be crazy- Johnnie would take this job in a heartbeat. You don’t pass up SEC jobs. Hell- Mullen tried to get the Miami job a 2nd time after they passed him over- and got snaked by Richt. Good jobs are good jobs
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Yep totally agree.

Really apples and oranges comparisons of both programs when they took over; can't believe anyone would make the comparison. Anyone that knows what day of the week it is for MSU basketball knows they are totally different.

I am ready to see a girl fight on the bench if that is what it takes. With the way some players effort is, there needs to be a fight among this team somewhere.
    For some, it is going to take something like that to make a change. Seeing the poor product on the court isn't enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    A better comparison would be comparing her to JoVester. You had people on here <ahem> saying he wasn’t going to work out during his 1st season because he couldn’t coach the talent he had. We look to be in the same boat now in WBB. She’ll get at least another year- and something better change.

And guys don’t be crazy- Johnnie would take this job in a heartbeat. You don’t pass up SEC jobs. Hell- Mullen tried to get the Miami job a 2nd time after they passed him over- and got snaked by Richt. Good jobs are good jobs
    I feel like we are about to have a mass exodus of talent if NMP gets another year. I would be willing to bet that Rickea is gone at the end of the year, and I do wonder if being able to go get Johnnie Harris would be enough to change her mind and the minds of others who may want to move on because they do not have faith in the current coach.

vCash
    I hear you and agree with you. At this point we either trash our program or do something and take out lumps. I hate to was the Vic years and all the good we built.

The same thing happened with Croom. I said when we hired him, it would either be the best thing we ever did or the worst, well it was the worst. We had bad for 5 years and Byrne had the guts to do something about it.

Well fastforward, here we are again but Cohen made the hire. Only way this changes is a new AD. If she stays 5 years, we'll have a 50-110 record and program nuked from ground up.
    We're not firing an AD over a bad women's basketball hire. It's not a revenue producing sport so it sucks, but it doesn't really affect the bottom line.

vCash
    I believe Johnnie Harris has the knowledge, character and motivation to achieve something special. Could it come close to a Schaefer, or even Summitt, level? Who knows, but every great coach had a ground floor starting level. And, most had great mentors along the way.

There?s no question that I don?t have a smidgen of knowledge or insight that you guys have. My opinion comes from past observation, only. Given the chance, I believe Coach Harris has the qualities to make something special happen.

Whether or not she was offered the position the first time around, I would hope Cohen would make an effort to bring her back as HC .... WHENEVER he gets around to it. Yesterday would work for me.

vCash
    I hate to tell most of y’all- but Cohen’s seat is not even warm right now as AD. He may have to give up some exclusivity on the next few hires- but I haven’t heard anybody I know with any big contacts say they think Cohen could be in any trouble
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

Who? Cause many called for Howland being let go a couple seasons ago.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 02-23-2021 at 04:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I hate to tell most of y’all- but Cohen’s seat is not even warm right now as AD. He may have to give up some exclusivity on the next few hires- but I haven’t heard anybody I know with any big contacts say they think Cohen could be in any trouble
    Yep. The boosters put him in that job. He won't leave til he retires. That's the MSU way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Yep. The boosters put him in that job. He won't leave til he retires. That's the MSU way.
    Doesn't matter. They probably have the next lackey lined up at Georgia Southern already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Doesn't matter. They probably have the next lackey lined up at Georgia Southern already.
    Volleyball is doing well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I feel like we are about to have a mass exodus of talent if NMP gets another year. I would be willing to bet that Rickea is gone at the end of the year, and I do wonder if being able to go get Johnnie Harris would be enough to change her mind and the minds of others who may want to move on because they do not have faith in the current coach.
    Have we ever fired a coach after a single season, particularly after that year having the chaos of a pandemic? I haven't researched it, but I doubt that we have. Moorhead likely comes closest.

I don't think she will be fired, but she probably shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Firing or not firing her shouldn't be a matter of her race though - it's whether she's a good coach or not, and apparently she's not. She had a decent record her last two years at Old Dominion, but that's literally and figuratively a different league. Having played for Pat Summit and coached under Staley apparently doesn't mean all that much.

vCash
    I'll say this- after some thought.

I don't keep up with Women's basketball a lot- which says a lot about this subject in and of itself.

To the point where I didn't realize that Rick Ray McCray had coached at Old Dominion and had a bad first year there. I'll be fine giving her another year to see if it's typical first year coach stuff where they have to establish their program.

As far as Cohen- I don't know that even Greg Byrne could have replaced the greatest coach in MSU history and upgraded. Not excusing Cohen but just saying it's hard to replace a coach like Vic no matter who it is. And yes, I know that it has been really bad.

vCash
    What a stupid 17 response.. "Vic probably knew" crap sounds like CNN or MSDNC saying something about Trump... Just making up something to say something...

Quit showing your ignorance... You don't know jack 💩 about what Vic knew or said... So quit making up a false argument...

Fans like you are why State will always be State...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Who is this referencing?

ETA: Just googled. I guess Benko?
    Last edited by Johnson85; 02-24-2021 at 09:27 AM.