Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic Tuesday - Student Loan Forgiveness

vCash
    It’s buying future votes. It’s securing a future voting base for the Democratic Party. Just as granting citizenship to illegal immigrants, welfare benefits, and handing out half pint bottles in the parking lot of the voting precinct. If you borrow money, you owe it. Period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    It’s securing a future voting base for the Democratic Party.
    FFS dude, this issue impacts everyone, conservative/liberal alike. Don't be obtuse for the sake of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    FFS dude, this issue impacts everyone, conservative/liberal alike. Don't be obtuse for the sake of it.
    You’re right it impacts everyone. I paid my student loans, I paid my auto loans, and I paid my mortgage. Why the f*** should I have to pay for every Tom, Dick, and Sally who spends 5-6 years in college getting a useless degree that doesn’t lead to a career that justifies the expense of that degree. This is absolutely the stupidest thing I’ve seen in my lifetime from lawmakers.

vCash
    Agreed. For people like me that worked their asses off and finally paid off their debt and did the right thing, what's in it for us? Not a damn thing.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    They also have public service loan forgiveness right now. 10 years of payments while serving in a public capacity and they waive the remainder of your loan. I?m all for programs like this. It puts people with degrees into positions they need to be in. In the other hand, I think high schools need to stop pushing college as the next step. We need to re-emphasize trade schools, apprenticeships, and utility based jobs. Tried to find a welder lately? Good luck.

vCash
    We're essentially reinforcing irresponsibility but hey, it's 2021 and it's what we've become. Taking out a loan is a choice and personal responsibility shouldn?t be supplanted by taxpayer bailouts. Canceling student loans means penalizing people like me for honoring my word and repaying the debt I chose to accept.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Furthermore, we don?t need to do away with college loans we need to RAISE the ****ing requirements to get into a college across the board. MINIMUM 21 on the ACT to get into college or some outstanding achievement. So many students crying about student loans right now barely made it into school with 16 on their ACT and they milk the system and loans for 5-6 years (barely passing classes) then they drop out or barely graduate and live off federal aid and cry about loan debt. Trust me...I?m an adjunct professor. I see it daily.

Loans for college should have a service rider attached. We pay for your education then you owe us X number of years in public service where we need you. After those then your loan is cleared or you can choose not to use the rider but you will owe us 100% repayment.

It won?t fix the issue now but it will prevent the issue in the future...which is why the government will never do it.

vCash
    To Rescue this thread for sports-

This could nullify the Vanderbilt competitive advantage in baseball.

Brad Cumbest can now focus on his best sport without losing his ride

vCash
    I have a BA and a JD and never borrowed a dime. Jobs and the GI Bill made it possible. When I completed my education, I did not have $500. Twenty years ago, I retired at age 56.

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 02-16-2021 at 08:49 PM.

vCash
    All the money people in my neck of the woods are Home Builders, Carpenters and Electricians... and the mortgage guy who has a general science degree... he loans the money to the Engineers and Doctors for the Home Builders, Carpenters and Electricians to build their houses. The Ole Miss liberal arts major works at the DG and the Kinesiology major teaches PE and drives the school bus. The guy that owns the scrap yard/wrecker service has more money than anyone... he flunked out of JC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Furthermore, we don?t need to do away with college loans we need to RAISE the ****ing requirements to get into a college across the board. MINIMUM 21 on the ACT to get into college or some outstanding achievement. So many students crying about student loans right now barely made it into school with 16 on their ACT and they milk the system and loans for 5-6 years (barely passing classes) then they drop out or barely graduate and live off federal aid and cry about loan debt. Trust me...I?m an adjunct professor. I see it daily.

Loans for college should have a service rider attached. We pay for your education then you owe us X number of years in public service where we need you. After those then your loan is cleared or you can choose not to use the rider but you will owe us 100% repayment.

It won?t fix the issue now but it will prevent the issue in the future...which is why the government will never do it.
    I have worked for a college for 12 years and one thing I can say is that what you did in high school or scored on standardized tests has nothing to do with how you will perform in college. I have students that were valedictorian and failed out and others that got a GED and graduated with a 4.0. Raising standards based on tests and high school grades are not the answer.

vCash
    Forgive the damn loans! Overhaul the entire higher education system - most people at universities have no need to be there.

Pay for it by cutting the outrageous military industrial complex and bringing the damn troops home.

It's not like you "mr taxpayer" are footing the bill anyway. The government doesn't need your taxes to fund itself. We have funny money, they just type some zeroes and poof it appears. Just erase $50,000 for people so they can live a meaningful debt free life.
    Last edited by Rex54; 02-16-2021 at 09:42 PM.

vCash
    I'm watchin' this thread.... closely....

I like it,
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Agreed. For people like me that worked their asses off and finally paid off their debt and did the right thing, what's in it for us? Not a damn thing.
    Unless you go back to school or you have kids going to college. Or grandkids or great grand kids.
    Or you could be happy that it would afford more opportunity to people that otherwise would struggle to make it happen. There's got to be a solution to the overall problem. Our system isn't good.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 02-16-2021 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    I have a BA and a JD and never borrowed a dime. Jobs and the GI Bill made it possible. When I completed my education, I did not have $500. Twenty years ago, I retired at age 56.
    Wow good for you. Your generation also grew up in a normal nation and economy and decided to piss it all away with mass importation of cheap labor, mass exportation of manufacturing, and mass wealth transfers to the global elite. Not to mention social rot. Thank you so much, boomer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    What do "we" do? We make choices.

You can study, get a 23 on the ACT and go to Community College tuition free. If you commute, you can save there, owe nothing and be half way to a degree. Then on the weekend go
    Party with your friends in Starkville and Oxford.

Or you choose to go to a 4 year, pay $20k a year for the same classes and dorm. Then party on the weekend in Starkville and Oxford.
    Here's the issue I have with this. If I want a certain degree or want to pursue something for my career, I can't just go to community college. Maybe for a year or two, but eventually, for certain degrees, I have to go to a 4 year university. So I could go to community college. But basically you're taking a bunch of people who want certain careers and saying because you can't afford to pay for the career you have to change what you want to do. I don't want to live in that kind of country.

So if you want to pursue something specific and you come from family that can't afford college, you go into debt to chase your dream. That's the only option. The problem with that is you basically are being forced to take on debt in order to pursue a career. Then you spend your entire career paying off that debt you were forced to take on. And the percentage amount you have to pay to get through college relative to entry level salaries is absurd now, especially for education.

College ha too many bells and whistles right now. It needs to be simplified and it shouldn't cost this much. In order to be where I'm at now, I had to get 3 degrees. I was a teacher, now an assistant principal. But I couldn't pay off my MSU loans. My wife was in vet school and I worked at Publix 20-30 hours a week while getting my Masters degree in education.

I'm not certain what the better way is, but I would think we could come up with something better than the US population subsidizing the government through absurd student loan interest rates just to pursue a career would be one we could tackle pretty easily.

vCash
    Then you are completely and utterly out of touch with college costs today. $500 is probably what the calculus book costs now.

vCash
    So, the government paid for your education; and you served a commitment and got paid while doing it. The government gave you a head start - a debt free education, a job and an income, and work experience in a field. If you stayed in the military it would give you a career that allowed you a full retirement package at an early age.

Why should we not do that for teachers, healthcare workers, public servants, or hell just about anyone? I'd send my kid with her Met degree to work for 3 years on the cheap at NOAA or NWS, or the Peace Corps or where ever if it got them those benefits.

ETA: I'm not wanting to sound like I'm knocking the GI Bill or those who take advantage of it - it is a fantastic program that should be a model for more programs.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 02-17-2021 at 04:52 PM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    So, the government paid for your education; and you served a commitment and got paid while doing it. The government gave you a head start - a debt free education, a job and an income, and work experience in a field. If you stayed in the military it would give you a career that allowed you a full retirement package at an early age.

Why should we not do that for teachers, healthcare workers, public servants, or hell just about anyone? I'd send my kid with her Met degree to work for 3 years on the cheap at NOAA or NWS, or the Peace Corps or where ever if it got them those benefits.

ETA: I'm not wanting to sound like I'm knocking the GI Bill or those who take advantage of it - it is a fantastic program that should be a model for more programs.
    The Greed of our current University System in this Country is Out of Control and Unchecked. The Power they have is an Evil Force in our Country. Elizabeth Warren made $400K in a year teaching part time for God's Sake.