Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I'd hire Andy Kennedy right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    If the boosters wanted him gone the AD doesn't go to them to scrape up the money. The boosters come to him & say it's time we have the money. The fact that hasn't happened yet gives you your answer. Now there's still games left to play this season but as of now no one think he getting let go this year.
    Welp....Doesn?t get much more embarrassing than losing to Vandy at home by 21 but we?ve still got time left for him to top that so I?ll wait and see what happens the rest of the way. If we continue our recent decline & he?s back next year, I?ll know the admin doesn?t give two s**ts about men?s basketball and it?ll just be more apathy and more boring basketball to watch next year. Alright I?m done.

vCash
    If Cohen wants to fire him then Howland isn't going to help. If you want me gone pay me my money & I'll leave. I'm saying Howland has no reason or incentive not to get all his money.
    I agree with you that it's not going to happen, but if Howland were on the fence about coaching next year, then there might be a situation where he'd rather coach than forego his buyout, but might rather retire if he'd still get half his buyout. And similarly, MSU might prefer to fire him at half his buyout, but not at the full buyout. So there certainly could be a deal to be made if he wasn't thrilled about coaching next year.

I think it's all irrelevant though. I think Howland wants to coach and while I'm sure there are people that aren't thrilled with the way we've looked at times, I don't think his seat is even warm yet, and I don't think that's because of his buyout. Don't have any inside sources, I just think he's done well enough to be safe.

vCash
    HAHAHA...that's why you are not the AD.

vCash
    Ok, lets just hire Gene Hackman from Hoosiers and be done with it. Cohen gets to play Dennis Hopper's character....someone go get him some manischewitz, stat!**

vCash
    The figure is less than four but north of 3. There is a plan in place but we will wait til the end of the season. Some other non contract details that will be worked out as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    The figure is less than four but north of 3. There is a plan in place but we will wait til the end of the season. Some other non contract details that will be worked out as well.
    Idc if this is accurate or true, I?m gonna go with it because it gives me hope and optimism for men?s basketball that I?ve not had in a long time. Hope you?re right 77.....

vCash
    Not charged? Yes you are correct but here is a link about is being under investigation.

Nothing burger! NCAA looked at MSU and never found a thing in 14+ years plus his assistant time recruiting!

Compare that record with some of the rest of SEC and get back to us!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    That was also before you could watch every game online or on TV. Thats killed attendance as much as anything
    Bullshit! Please explain all those televised WBB games that were complete sellouts under Vic! They were winners and fans came in droves!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Bullshit! Please explain all those televised WBB games that were complete sellouts under Vic! They were winners and fans came in droves!!
    Because it cost half the price it would cost to go to a men's game. People from Jackson and other towns across Mississippi arent going to Starkville for a game when they can watch it on TV due to cost. But if I lived in the Golden Triangle and I could take my family of 4 to the game for a reasonable price? yeah I'll do it.

I'll never drive to Sville again for a game when I can watch it on TV. That includes football unless we have a big friend weekend planned. TV is killing attendance.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Nothing burger! NCAA looked at MSU and never found a thing in 14+ years plus his assistant time recruiting!

Compare that record with some of the rest of SEC and get back to us!
    Sit this one out and have a biscuit. Things were not peaches and cream under Stans.

vCash
    Sit this one out and have a biscuit. Things were not peaches and cream under Stans.
    Yes. The NCAA was snooping us under Stands. So much that Strick and Keenum interviewed former players like Charles Rhoades Shane Power before they made a coaching hire like Rick Ray. That should tell u something
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawsonmsu View Post
    Our fans are clueless when it comes to MSU basketball. Letting Stansbury depart will go down as the biggest blunder in the history of MSU athletics.
    Yep. State is a nothing program outside of the years Stans was here. As bad as I wish it wasn?t true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawsonmsu View Post
    Our fans are clueless when it comes to MSU basketball. Letting Stansbury depart will go down as the biggest blunder in the history of MSU athletics.
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Right because some of our DA fans can't grasp that maybe Stans was pretty average in a down SEC in a division that was down while he was here and he still didn't ever do jack crap in the Tourney.

You are wanting someone who makes runs in the post season and yet you are arguing we shouldn't have gotten rid of Stans.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either making an occasional NCAAT and getting bounced in the first round is acceptable or it isn't and if it isn't then you shouldn't be a stans fan either because that is all he did.
    You have to realize what MSU basketball is....nothing. Nothing more than an occasional decent team. Bury had more input into the better years than anyone.

Howland has basically matched thy success. You are a damn fool if you think we will typically hire anyone better than Rick Ray.

Before you go firing Howland, you better have the ink dried on another coach?s contract or you are looking at another Rick ray type hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    You have to realize what MSU basketball is....nothing. Nothing more than an occasional decent team. Bury had more input into the better years than anyone.

Howland has basically matched thy success. You are a damn fool if you think we will typically hire anyone better than Rick Ray.

Before you go firing Howland, you better have the ink dried on another coach?s contract or you are looking at another Rick ray type hire.

You're off the deep end on this one. We are not anything special as far as a basketball school, but we are still a P5 team that is going to make somebody a multimillionaire. We will pretty much always have better options than RIck Ray unless we are under severe sanctions, and probably would have better options even then. We certainly had better options than Rick Ray when we hired him, we just passed on them. It was basically a Cohen hire before Cohen. Thought they could pick a coach out of obscurity rather than taking a more known quantity that, as a result of being more known, had more obvious potential flaws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Yep. State is a nothing program outside of the years Stans was here. As bad as I wish it wasn?t true.

What did Stans do in the tourney? We were still a nothing program when it came to national relevance. We crapped the bed every time he got in.

I don't understand why our fans hold our basketball program and Stans in such high regard.

When Stans was here we were a middle of the road team same as now that benefitted from a down SEC.

I actually think there are a ton of similarities in Stans and Howland. Neither of them have figured out how to beat a zone or handle pressure. Both were solid recruiters that landed some good talent. Neither can seem to get over the hump in the tourney.

Howland was elite at UCLA and you could argue he was elite at Pitt. He is now middle of the road.

Stans was and is also middle of the road.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    So Howland is penalized for signing those guys?
    No he is getting penalized for not winning with that kind of talent. He won everywhere else he has been so what is different with MSU? He is way past his prime and damn near at the bottom of his coaching hill. He needs to retire for good this time.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Oats hasn't been coaching long enough to have much of a tree.
    Agree.

Also tree hires are stupid. That is what lost of WBB program - a tree hire. Just get a good coach, I don't care where they come from.

vCash
    I think both sides of this are correct. TV access and cost are taking their toll on fan attendance everywhere. However, to your point, a winning team will bring out the fans. Vic proved that with a program that was typically a cellar dweller, just win and people will come.

vCash
    This is where Mississippi State is at on this. Under Ben Howland, this program takes two steps forward and then two steps backwards. That has been consistent over the past 3 seasons. So, it appears that the program has progressed as much as it is going to under Ben. The thing is, the program is not a disaster either, no matter how many want to use the 20 plus point losses to Ole Miss and Vandy as reasons to say the program is bad. This is a situation where if you fire Ben Howland, you can get better, but you can also get worse.

Then the finances come into play. The reason they will not make a move now is because boosters aren't going to want to come up with the $6 million buy out. Even in a year, with issues from the covid stuff still having an effect on the money, I think it is very likely that if you see a change made, you will see the athletic department target an assistant coach that will not command a big salary.