Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'd hire Andy Kennedy right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Let me help you out
    Even in Stans last four years, fans packed the Hump, students stood in line for games, there was excitement!

Howland, not so much!

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Even in Stans last four years, fans packed the Hump, students stood in line for games, there was excitement!

Howland, not so much!
    That's on the fans though. Mainly because of Stricklin & Ray. Howland has done enough to have more support. The anger over the team was just as high.

vCash
    That's on the fans though. Mainly because of Stricklin & Ray. Howland has done enough to have more support. The anger over the team was just as high.
    Disagree! It's the product on the floor that brings in the fans! Vic showed that MSU will support a team that gives effort! Even WBB!

vCash
    Disagree! It's the product on the floor that brings in the fans! Vic showed that MSU will support a team that gives effort! Even WBB!
    The effort isn't what packed the Hump winning was. That same effort & going .500 in the SEC the crowd isn't showing up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawsonmsu View Post
    Stansbury was never charged with a major recruiting violation during his long tenure at MSU state. Not one my friend. Don’t try and use that as an excuse. There are no facts to back it up.
    Not charged? Yes you are correct but here is a link about is being under investigation. Also I posted we were under the microscope and that's a fact. He was told to stop certain things after 05 and didn't
    https://www.djournal.com/sports/msu-...45ecd7dcf.html

vCash
    Anyone that thinks Howland or Pinson is worth a shit is a dumb 17.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Anyone that thinks Howland or Pinson is worth a shit is a dumb 17.
    I guess the debate is closed!😳

vCash

Howland, not so much!
    That was also before you could watch every game online or on TV. Thats killed attendance as much as anything
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawsonmsu View Post
    You still can?t see the facts - Ben Howland walked into a cycle of above average players ( see list below) that allowed him to win 52 percent of his SEC games.

Reggie Perry - son of a MSU great
    Robert Woodard - son of a MSU great
    Malik Newman - son of a MSU great
    Nick Weatherspoon - brother of a MSU great

That cycle of long standing family ties is long gone. That is why you will continue to see Howland?s SEC record fall off the cliff. By the way, Stansbury didn?t have a chance to coach the sons of MSU greats.
    And Stansbury's record would have looked awful without Lawrence Roberts happening to have family in Mississippi. Those things balance out.

Also, nobody was making Malik successful his first two years because he wasn't going to buy in.

vCash
    What are women's basketball tickets? $5? Men's basketball has to make money off of tickets which means corporate tickets and tickets sold to people not in easy driving distance, which means unless we really develop a formal system that encourages ticket holders to get tickets to people that use them, you're not going to have as easy of a time packing out the hump.

That said, I think pretty much all sports are battling attendance issues and most sports are also losing viewers at the same time. Lots of different things going into that.

vCash
    Regardless, it sounds like Howland will return if nothing more than financial reasons. Due to the shortfall of money from COVID, it seems Mississippi State doesn't want to pay a $6 million buy out to Ben Howland. Things could change between now and the end of the season, but I'm not anticipating a change at this point. If it does happen, I'd be willing to bet that Cohen hires an assistant rather than paying an established head coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Right our dumb ass fans .. why would they want the winningest Coach in MSU history? Instead let?s run out and hire Clemson?s third assistant. Stans only had a winning record against every team in the Sec except Tenn and Ky. What a bunch of idiots .
    Right because some of our DA fans can't grasp that maybe Stans was pretty average in a down SEC in a division that was down while he was here and he still didn't ever do jack crap in the Tourney.

You are wanting someone who makes runs in the post season and yet you are arguing we shouldn't have gotten rid of Stans.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either making an occasional NCAAT and getting bounced in the first round is acceptable or it isn't and if it isn't then you shouldn't be a stans fan either because that is all he did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Regardless, it sounds like Howland will return if nothing more than financial reasons. Due to the shortfall of money from COVID, it seems Mississippi State doesn't want to pay a $6 million buy out to Ben Howland. Things could change between now and the end of the season, but I'm not anticipating a change at this point. If it does happen, I'd be willing to bet that Cohen hires an assistant rather than paying an established head coach.
    About what I figured would happen. Bring him back by default so we can suck again next year and delay the inevitable 1 more miserable season.

I get basketball is nowhere near the revenue darling football is for colleges (shoot I don?t even know how many colleges are profit makers from men?s basketball), but USCe just fired Boom with his buyout equating out to around $13-15 mil and their athletic dept. is gonna have around a $44 mil deficit this fiscal year. I?m sure their athletic budget is much larger than ours (going off 2018-19 numbers about $35 mil larger overall) but haven?t we done well in years past of staying in the black to where it wouldn?t be a back breaker to pay a lame duck HC?s buyout of $6 mil in one of your big 3 sports? I might be way off here and I?m fine saying I am if someone who knows more than me corrects me. But crap, could Cohen not talk him into retirement and a reduced ?buyout? and let him fly on back out to Cali to retire out there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    About what I figured would happen. Bring him back by default so we can suck again next year and delay the inevitable 1 more miserable season.

I get basketball is nowhere near the revenue darling football is for colleges (shoot I don?t even know how many colleges are profit makers from men?s basketball), but USCe just fired Boom with his buyout equating out to around $13-15 mil and their athletic dept. is gonna have around a $44 mil deficit this fiscal year. I?m sure their athletic budget is much larger than ours (going off 2018-19 numbers about $35 mil larger overall) but haven?t we done well in years past of staying in the black to where it wouldn?t be a back breaker to pay a lame duck HC?s buyout of $6 mil in one of your big 3 sports? I might be way off here and I?m fine saying I am if someone who knows more than me corrects me. But crap, could Cohen not talk him into retirement and a reduced ?buyout? and let him fly on back out to Cali to retire out there?
    Why would Howland agree to a reduced buyout?

vCash
    Why would Howland agree to a reduced buyout?
    I didn?t say he would. I said Cohen should try to talk him into retirement and a reduced buyout, still a buyout, but lower than the $6 mil number. If he wouldn?t budge on it, then scrape up some booster support if you got to get rid of a guy that you know isn?t the answer. Do you think he?s the answer next year? Do you feel good about men?s basketball and going into next season with Howland? Are you excited about the direction of the program?

vCash
    I didn?t say he would. I said Cohen should try to talk him into retirement and a reduced buyout, still a buyout, but lower than the $6 mil number. If he wouldn?t budge on it, then scrape up some booster support if you got to get rid of a guy that you know isn?t the answer. Do you think he?s the answer next year? Do you feel good about men?s basketball and going into next season with Howland? Are you excited about the direction of the program?
    No need to rehash the same argument you've made 100 times. I just asked you a simple question on why Howland would take a reduced buyout.

vCash
    No need to rehash the same argument you've made 100 times. I just asked you a simple question on why Howland would take a reduced buyout.
    And I said, I didn?t say he would take a reduced buyout. But that?s an angle Cohen should attempt if he thinks it?s time to move on from Howland. Mutually part ways and see if early retirement is something he?d consider along with a handsome fee, but a reduced fee from the $6 mil number.

vCash
    And I said, I didn?t say he would take a reduced buyout. But that?s an angle Cohen should attempt if he thinks it?s time to move on from Howland. Mutually part ways and see if early retirement is something he?d consider along with a handsome fee, but a reduced fee from the $6 mil number.
    If Cohen wants to fire him then Howland isn't going to help. If you want me gone pay me my money & I'll leave. I'm saying Howland has no reason or incentive not to get all his money.

vCash
    If Cohen wants to fire him then Howland isn't going to help. If you want me gone pay me my money & I'll leave. I'm saying Howland has no reason or incentive not to get all his money.
    If that?s the case, scrape up the support from boosters or cough up the $6 mil and move on. IF Cohen thinks it?s time, I don?t see how coughing up $6 mil more is some completely undoable thing and why delay the inevitable to next season.

vCash
    If that?s the case, scrape up the support from boosters or cough up the $6 mil and move on. IF Cohen thinks it?s time, I don?t see how coughing up $6 mil more is some completely undoable thing and why delay the inevitable to next season.
    If the boosters wanted him gone the AD doesn't go to them to scrape up the money. The boosters come to him & say it's time we have the money. The fact that hasn't happened yet gives you your answer. Now there's still games left to play this season but as of now no one think he getting let go this year.