Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Storm 2: Revenge of the Rock Salt.

vCash

Winter Storm 2: Revenge of the Rock Salt.

Round 2 looks to unfold Wednesday evening into Thursday. At this time, the impacts look to be much more confined to the NW part of the state with the rest of us getting primarily a cold rain. They said, this last one started the same way, but I think this one comes closer to staying that way. More as this one unfolds but look for advisories to start going up anytime between late this evening and tomorrow morning. For those wanting a reprieve from all this look to this weekend. Temps by Sunday will be knocking on the door of 60.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post

Round 2 looks to unfold Wednesday evening into Thursday. At this time, the impacts look to be much more confined to the NW part of the state with the rest of us getting primarily a cold rain. They said, this last one started the same way, but I think this one comes closer to staying that way. More as this one unfolds but look for advisories to start going up anytime between late this evening and tomorrow morning. For those wanting a reprieve from all this look to this weekend. Temps by Sunday will be knocking on the door of 60.
    Dammit I?m trying to close on a house and travel to Louisville, MS Thursday. This sucks.

vCash
    Thanks SVD. Just about had all the global warning for this winter I can stand.

vCash

Stayed in Birmingham....

Stayed in Birmingham last night and tonight. Chance I can drive to Stark or Fulton tomorrow, or do I have to wait til Wednesday lunch?

vCash
    Instead of getting my 8-12 inches of snow.... got 4 inches of sleet... so since they are predicting 1-2 inches of snow for Thursday.... I will probably get my foot of snow then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Instead of getting my 8-12 inches of snow.... got 4 inches of sleet... so since they are predicting 1-2 inches of snow for Thursday.... I will probably get my foot of snow then.
    You're in good company. Lots of women have been promised 8-12 inches and only got 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Dunno where you are but that's what we got in Nashville... At least 4 inches of sleet. Never seen anything like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpile View Post
    Dunno where you are but that's what we got in Nashville... At least 4 inches of sleet. Never seen anything like it.
    We got about .5-1 inches in the Columbus area. Manages to only lose power for about an hour. Hell of a job by the power company in this area so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    Stayed in Birmingham last night and tonight. Chance I can drive to Stark or Fulton tomorrow, or do I have to wait til Wednesday lunch?
    This might help: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...902298!5m1!1e1

Looks like traffic is moving OK to Starkville but I-22 is slow-going once you get near Mississippi. I don't know how dependable this map is, but it's from ALDOT so should be OK.

We had a lot of rain here today and now everything's frozen over before drying out.

vCash
    Thanks Vegas. I hope that Limited Threat Area shifts further over to the west, and not shifts further to the east. Too close to the Elevated threat. The sleet saved us in Winter Storm 1 in Central MS (in the Extreme Threat Area), because if we had gotten the projected freezing rain totals, it would have probably been a major infrastructure devastation, and a long term power restoration effort.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 02-15-2021 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    All of north MS and most of west central MS now under a winter storm watch. NWS contemplating expanding the watch into the golden triangle area but holding off for now. The HRRR is showing a big ice storm for a large area with big snow accumulations along the river in the NW delta. Most of MS dodged a bullet with this last storm as most of us got sleet and snow instead of freezing rain. Can we go 2-0 or does this one get us?

vCash

Snowing pretty good in Birmingham...

Right now. Decided I'm going to try to make the drive to Fulton on I22 in next hour or so going really slow. Not that it matters if you hit ice. Head to Stark from there tomorrow when it warms up assuming I make it. Crazy weather.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    All of north MS and most of west central MS now under a winter storm watch. NWS contemplating expanding the watch into the golden triangle area but holding off for now. The HRRR is showing a big ice storm for a large area with big snow accumulations along the river in the NW delta. Most of MS dodged a bullet with this last storm as most of us got sleet and snow instead of freezing rain. Can we go 2-0 or does this one get us?
    Well all for sunshine in Jackson area, we have snow flurries at my house! I do storm restoration logistics work, I'm thinking I will be going to Texas soon, over 4 million outages, unheard of for a "ice storm".

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 02-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Well all for sunshine in Jackson area, we have snow flurries at my house! I do storm restoration logistics work, I'm thinking I will be going to Texas soon, over 4 million outages, unheard of for a "ice storm".

We still have flurries in the Brandon area.

vCash
    Snowing pretty good in the Pine Belt. Got well over .25 inch of ice yesterday and now everything is turning white with snow. Power was out all day yesterday. Lots of trees down.

vCash
    Watching the MDOT cameras in the Jackson area. Glad all we got was cold in Biloxi.

vCash
    Snowing here in Jones county. We had just a small amount of ice accumulation yesterday. I thought the precip was all gone and woke up this morning with it snowing and everything covered in snow. Thankfully haven't lost power and no trees or limbs down yet. Y'all stay safe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Snowing here in Jones county. We had just a small amount of ice accumulation yesterday. I thought the precip was all gone and woke up this morning with it snowing and everything covered in snow. Thankfully haven't lost power and no trees or limbs down yet. Y'all stay safe.
    Here too. Snowed all night lightly and has snowed all day so far. It was supposed to be sunny today and no snow last night or today. Oh well, the snow is a nice surprise. We've all been outside as a family this morning taking pics and vids.
    We do have some tree damage. I'll have some cleanup to do this weekend.

vCash
    Winter storm warning or winter weather advisory now issued for all counties north of 82.