Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storm 2: Revenge of the Rock Salt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxdog View Post
    Thoughts on where we are right now, especially as it pertains to the GTR and surrounding counties?

I'm almost a lil more afraid of power outages tonight than I was Monday.
    Appears to be a pretty steady mix of sleet and freezing rain. If that persists as our primary precip type then I'm concerned for power outages, too. I'll be stepping out in just a bit to see what kind of ice accumulation we have so far.

vCash
    Power out at my house in Brandon, but thank the good Lord my Generic Generator came on. Battery was low so I had to jump it off from my truck.

vCash
    Started snowing here around 7:00, had 2-3", and by 9:00 had turned mostly to rain. May or may not be freezing rain - hard to tell. Don't think there's any sleet mixed in. Temp has gone up almost 2 degrees since 7 p.m. This is the first real winter weather for us since the whole thing started, other than a little freezing rain on Monday that melted fairly quickly, and snow all day long on Tuesday without much accumulation.

vCash
    Looks like it's about over. Probably have around 0.3" of ice. Can hear limbs snapping in the woods and our lights have been flickering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Looks like it's about over. Probably have around 0.3" of ice. Can hear limbs snapping in the woods and our lights have been flickering.
    Just checked out the MDOT cameras around Starkville. Looks like a big slushie on the roads. Beware of Black ice.

vCash
    Had 6" in Madison (AL) but just 10-12 miles to the east in downtown Huntsville virtually nothing. Roads are in pretty good shape this morning and continue to improve.

vCash
    Lost power. Lots of Starkville and surrounding areas sharing the same fate. Trying to melt the ice off my windshield to go try and find some breakfast and see how roads are.

vCash
    It's a balmy 34 here in North Covington Co. Ice is gone until any leftover water freezes tonight I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It's a balmy 34 here in North Covington Co. Ice is gone until any leftover water freezes tonight I guess.
    It's warmer here - 35 - but plenty of snow left. Haven't been out yet but the roads seem to be in good shape. I'll find out in less than an hour since I have a doc appt downtown.

vCash
    Some of the scenes in and around Starkville.

vCash
    Thanks for posting. Reminds me when I lived near Clemson. This was a daily sight every Feb and March. I remember Ft. Bragg in April 84. Ice storms for 2 weeks, temps near zero and we were having BN Artep. Platoon in the defense really sucked. Literally froze my ass off. At least we weren't getting shot at.

vCash
    Some of the scenes in and around Starkville.
    Goodness, that's terrible looking. I'm glad we just got snow last night and not freezing rain and sleet.

I just got back from going downtown Huntsville, about 12 miles to the east. At my house, we had plenty of snow. About halfway to town (just past the Space & Rocket Center, if you've been here) the snow went to virtually nothing over maybe a half mile distance.

The good news is all the roads I was on had been plowed and treated - the cities of Madison and Huntsville, and the state did a great job of clearing things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Unfortunately, I am one who is addicted to the white background noise.
    The wife used to freeze me out every winter with her fan going until I download the Ambio app. Fan ambiance, thunderstorm, bubbling brook, etc. I highly recommend it if you need "white noise" to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpile View Post
    The wife used to freeze me out every winter with her fan going until I download the Ambio app. Fan ambiance, thunderstorm, bubbling brook, etc. I highly recommend it if you need "white noise" to sleep.
    We have a clock that has several different sounds like that, but I'm not crazy about it. We also have a Snooz white noise machine in the master bedroom. I really like it, and I generally wake up when it turns off at 6:30 in the mornings. So I'm addicted to it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it loses it's wifi connection occasionally, but that's solved unplugging it, then plugging it back in.

vCash
    I am a light sleeper but if I hear a train off in the distance or a Tugboat going by i'm in a deep sleep instantly.

vCash
    I can relate to her. Add in pitch black, an ice cold temp and a strong breeze and I'm down for a good hibernation. I think my ideal sleeping quarters would resemble the cooler at a florist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Lol. I said the same thing to my son today. He texted me from his room early this morning when he heard my chainsaw. He asked how cold it was before he came out. I said "it's a balmy 31". Dress light. Lol.

vCash
    One last image from this past winter storm. The sun glistening on the ice in the trees this morning. Hopefully, by this afternoon it's all melted.

vCash
    One last image from this past winter storm. The sun glistening on the ice in the trees this morning. Hopefully, by this afternoon it's all melted.

If you get out and about later this afternoon any road updates from the Starkville area(or from anyone in the GTR area) would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm an appraiser and gotta get over that way soon. Residential areas. Rural areas etc.

Our mailman has not ran all week. Ha. What happened to their slogan...rain, snow or ??? Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post
    If you get out and about later this afternoon any road updates from the Starkville area(or from anyone in the GTR area) would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm an appraiser and gotta get over that way soon. Residential areas. Rural areas etc.

Our mailman has not ran all week. Ha. What happened to their slogan...rain, snow or ??? Lol
    I probably will venture out later today. Need a few things from town. Quick question since you said you're an appraiser. Looking at possibly doing a refi. What's an appraisal cost on average these days and what kind of stuff do you look at/for?