Thread: Operating a generator question

vCash

Operating a generator question

Would it be safe to operate a generator in a carport 15 feet from home? The carport adjoins the house and a utility room. It's open aired on 2 sides. It does face face west so wind would be an issue.

Thoughts?

Never operated one before.

TIA.

vCash
    As long as it is ventilated, But the gauge of your cord will affect the length that you can use, check amperage of what you are running.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    As long as it is ventilated, But the gauge of your cord will affect the length that you can use, check amperage of what you are running.
    It's ventilated in that 2 side are completely open air, if that's what you mean. And the exhaust would obviously pointed away from the home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxdog View Post
    It's ventilated in that 2 side are completely open air, if that's what you mean. And the exhaust would obviously pointed away from the home.
    Fire it up!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Spot on. You're good as far as ventilation.

vCash
    You can always put a larger hose over the exhaust and vent it out from under the carport, if your worried. That's what we do in paper mills we're working at, when they shut the powerhouse down, which is common at annual outages.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    You'll be fine...I'm sure you already know this but just a friendly reminder. If you hook a generator up to your house be sure to shut off your main first!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chainedup_Dawg View Post
    You'll be fine...I'm sure you already know this but just a friendly reminder. If you hook a generator up to your house be sure to shut off your main first!
    I have a generator that is hooked up to my house, it comes on automatic plus once a week it comes on and runs 12 minutes. I've had it installed right after Katrina, best investment I ever did for my family. It runs off propane which I have a huge propane tank buried, good thing about propane is I can get a propane company to fill, they check on fuel daily and automatically fill.

vCash

Base

Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I have a generator that is hooked up to my house, it comes on automatic plus once a week it comes on and runs 12 minutes. I've had it installed right after Katrina, best investment I ever did for my family. It runs off propane which I have a huge propane tank buried, good thing about propane is I can get a propane company to fill, they check on fuel daily and automatically fill.
    That's my next step. I never want to ever worry about this again.

vCash
    Good for you Nox! U have to look at the BIG picture, over the years we all will lose power, maybe hours or days and even weeks. It will pay for itself ot at least it has for me. Had mine since 2006.
    Btw, I also have a tankless hot water, got rid of hot water tank, saves $$$ as it only works or runs when you turn on the hot water. We use them in shower units and sleeping units for the crews coming in to restore power, never run out of hot water.

vCash
    Also I didn't have the 200 watt or circuits hooked up, but it runs everything else in my house, which heat and a/c are the most important thing.

vCash
    I almost did it after Katrina. As it turns out, I would have never used it. I haven't lost power for more than a few hours since that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I almost did it after Katrina. As it turns out, I would have never used it. I haven't lost power for more than a few hours since that time.
    My sister had a Generac put in at her house before Katrina. Well when it went under salt water ut wasn't much good. But the new automatic one she had put in is great. Worked good when Zeta knocked out power for a week. If you live in Hurricane country those are worth the money.

vCash
    Would it be safe to operate a generator in a carport 15 feet from home? The carport adjoins the house and a utility room. It's open aired on 2 sides. It does face face west so wind would be an issue.

Thoughts?

Never operated one before.

TIA.
    I have a very similar set up, except I operate mine under a covered porch that is open on 1.5 sides. I keep it as far away from windows and doors as possible, and point the exhaust away. I also took an extra step and bought some plug in Carbon Monoxide detectors that stay plugged in the outlets nearest to my windows and doors on that side of the house. I've run it twice this way, and never had elevated CO levels. The detectors are cheap (like $30 each). I think it's worth it to buy at least a couple, just to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by PMDawg; 02-17-2021 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    Carbon dioxide is not your worry, it is carbon monoxide that is your worry in exhaust fumes.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!