Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Anybody on the board a pharmacist or have a good knowledge of diabetic meds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I was diagnosed this time last year. I had all the symptoms of type 2, but the blurry vision scared me. My A1C was 9.6, and the doc put me on Invokana because of my IBS. He just kept giving
    me free samples for about 6 months until he ran out. I was doing great. My A1C was down to 6.4. The doc finally had to write me a prescription for the Invokana, but my insurance called and said it wasn?t covered. I had to fork out over $300 for a month?s supply back last summer. I quickly asked for the Metformin. That was about all my insurance covered, anyway.

Since then, I have been on 500mg Metformin. The only way it doesn?t destroy my stomach is after a full meal, so I take it after lunch. I?ve done well with it up until about new year?s. Since then, I?ve had to work pretty hard at my diet, and my fasting BS is still 150. It?s been pretty frustrating. I had an appointment today, but....
    I'd check out your other options now that its a new year. If you liked the Invokana, most insurances at this point are covering a med from that class (farxiga or jardiance I would ask about).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogcountry1 View Post
    I was diagnosed this time last year. I had all the symptoms of type 2, but the blurry vision scared me. My A1C was 9.6, and the doc put me on Invokana because of my IBS. He just kept giving
    me free samples for about 6 months until he ran out. I was doing great. My A1C was down to 6.4. The doc finally had to write me a prescription for the Invokana, but my insurance called and said it wasn?t covered. I had to fork out over $300 for a month?s supply back last summer. I quickly asked for the Metformin. That was about all my insurance covered, anyway.

Since then, I have been on 500mg Metformin. The only way it doesn?t destroy my stomach is after a full meal, so I take it after lunch. I?ve done well with it up until about new year?s. Since then, I?ve had to work pretty hard at my diet, and my fasting BS is still 150. It?s been pretty frustrating. I had an appointment today, but....
    I'm on 2,000mg of metformin and it's like Taco Bell soaked in exlax and chicken grease for my stomach. They put me on extended release metformin last week and that seems to help some.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm a Border Line / Type 2 Myself. I know longer have to take meds due to how I turned my diet around. I would suggest to anyone, Die Uh Beet US or not, get the South Beach Diet book. Read the chapter on how food impacts the pancreas. Foods that digest slow are healthier for many reasons one of which is they produce sugar slower in incremental fashion rather than a bowl of ice cream which goes thru quick creating a sudden burst of sugar that puts too much stress on the pancreas. What sugar that is not converted to energy (food for our internal organs), goes straight to FAT. Foods high in vitamins and minerals gives your body what you need thus you stay satisfied longer. Junk food does not so you get hungry again sooner. Only outside my home when I have no choice do I eat potatoes, rice, bread etc....Instead I eat beans, quinoa, lentils, etc... The Mediterranean Diet is a good one to look at as well. Gin / Vodka and Red Wine are all better choices than beer, whiskey and such. Eat some apple slices and carrots every day. Your morning ritual will improve dramatically which is also very important, especially when you are my age (58), LOL; Also extensive stretching everyday. Intense Yoga style where you hold the position until the slight pain subsides. Make sure your extremities are stretched daily insuring good blood flow from your fingers to your toes.
    Last edited by OLJWales; 02-28-2021 at 12:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    This is terrible advice. I spent a year convinced I was dying and barely able to function. I had my doctor looking for lung tumors and just thought he couldn't find them.

Turns out the non stop hacking and coughing up of metallic tasting crud was caused by an ACE inhibitor, which 1/5 people experience.
    That is a well known side effect your provider should have picked up on immediately.