Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Anybody on the board a pharmacist or have a good knowledge of diabetic meds?

vCash

OT: Anybody on the board a pharmacist or have a good knowledge of diabetic meds?

Had a doctor prescribe me Pioglitazone HCL. The side effects look downright scary and I was wondering how common they are or they're side effects that 1:10,000,000 people get if they take 5X the recommended dose everyday for 20 years.

vCash
    Dam dude. You got to take your meds and take care of yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Dam dude. You got to take your meds and take care of yourself.
    I'm taking 2,000mg of metformin a day and that's got my sugar in good shape. Been running 96-125 on average. Other than it acting like exlax on meth no real side effects. Why I was wondering why he put me in this other one, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Had a doctor prescribe me Pioglitazone HCL. The side effects look downright scary and I was wondering how common they are or they're side effects that 1:10,000,000 people get if they take 5X the recommended dose everyday for 20 years.
    NEVER read the insert for a med you are taking. All it will do is scare you and none of the side effects likely will affect you much. The effects of untreated diabetes will kill you. My wife is a type one, not what you are evidently treating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    NEVER read the insert for a med you are taking. All it will do is scare you and none of the side effects likely will affect you much. The effects of untreated diabetes will kill you. My wife is a type one, not what you are evidently treating.
    Same can be said for the prescription meds that are advertised all the time on television. I suppose they are required to list the side effects, regarless of how likely, but if you listen to them you'd never take what was being pushed. Personally, I don't think advertising prescription meds should be allowed. The doc should tell you what you need - not you tell the doc.

vCash
    I'm taking 2,000mg of metformin a day and that's got my sugar in good shape. Been running 96-125 on average. Other than it acting like exlax on meth no real side effects. Why I was wondering why he put me in this other one, too.
    That is quite a bit of metiformin...he/she may have thought a different approach is needed.

What is your age....and what is your A1C..and how long have you been diagnosed with diabetes

There just too many variables...

vCash
    Damn dude. My 500mg a day hits me like a box of colon blow. I can't imagine what 2000 does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Same can be said for the prescription meds that are advertised all the time on television. I suppose they are required to list the side effects, regarless of how likely, but if you listen to them you'd never take what was being pushed. Personally, I don't think advertising prescription meds should be allowed. The doc should tell you what you need - not you tell the doc.
    Damn bingo...

vCash
    Trulicity shots work well for me. I haven't experienced any side effects.

vCash
    The most common side effect is going to be swelling and weight gain. Not good for folks who have heart failure. I don't really like prescribing them honestly. I tend to stay away from prescribing sulfonylureas and TZDs.

Unfortunately, a lot of insurance companies will only pay for them because they are generic and cheap and make you pay more for the better meds like the DPP4s, SGLT2s, and GLP1s.

vCash
    i was watching TV last night and a commercial came on about lowering the a1c. I don't remember what the product was but they spent more time on the side effects than about the product.

vCash
    Just to echo KB21. Pioglitazone is not often used and to be honest kind of a shitty medicine. What's your a1c? If the max dose of metformin isn't keeping it at goal or you need a little bit of weight loss, there are so many other better options if your insurance is any decent at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Just to echo KB21. Pioglitazone is not often used and to be honest kind of a shitty medicine. What's your a1c? If the max dose of metformin isn't keeping it at goal or you need a little bit of weight loss, there are so many other better options if your insurance is any decent at all.
    When I was diagnosed just before New Year it was 10.4. I do need to lose a ton of weight but so far I've lost 27lbs on my own and the metformin is keeping my blood sugar between 96 and 127 unless I do something stupid and go eat Oby's. Why I was confused he prescribed it.

vCash
    When I was diagnosed just before New Year it was 10.4. I do need to lose a ton of weight but so far I've lost 27lbs on my own and the metformin is keeping my blood sugar between 96 and 127 unless I do something stupid and go eat Oby's. Why I was confused he prescribed it.
    10 is my cutoff. Anything above 10 on a newly diagnosed diabetic, and I start a long acting insulin like lantus or basaglar. It's going to be hard to get 10.4 down with just oral meds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    10 is my cutoff. Anything above 10 on a newly diagnosed diabetic, and I start a long acting insulin like lantus or basaglar. It's going to be hard to get 10.4 down with just oral meds.
    Do my next A1C end of March. Doctor said based on how things have gone so far they expect it to be in the 7 range. Neither gen physician or endocrinologist recommended insulin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    This is terrible advice. I spent a year convinced I was dying and barely able to function. I had my doctor looking for lung tumors and just thought he couldn't find them.

Turns out the non stop hacking and coughing up of metallic tasting crud was caused by an ACE inhibitor, which 1/5 people experience.

vCash
    I was 12 A1C when diagnosed a year and a half ago. 3 months later and 30 pounds lighter my A1C was 6 with Trulicity and 1-1000MG Metformin per day. Last night at supper time my sugar was 80, this morning 110. That is a typical day. I eat very carefully most of the time. That may not hold on long term, but so far so good.

vCash
    That's a great job man. You're a1c is going to be at goal with sugars like that, likely less than 7%. That's a combo of the metformin and your weight loss. I wouldn't advise adding another medicine if you're on that trajectory and your sugar is in that range. Insulin is usually recommended if you show up at diagnosis at 10.4% but if the patient does what you've done you can likely avoid that. Problem is, that doesn't usually happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    This is terrible advice. I spent a year convinced I was dying and barely able to function. I had my doctor looking for lung tumors and just thought he couldn't find them.

Turns out the non stop hacking and coughing up of metallic tasting crud was caused by an ACE inhibitor, which 1/5 people experience.
    That's a bad simple overlook by your provider. Sucks you had to do all that testing and stress.

vCash
    I was diagnosed this time last year. I had all the symptoms of type 2, but the blurry vision scared me. My A1C was 9.6, and the doc put me on Invokana because of my IBS. He just kept giving
    me free samples for about 6 months until he ran out. I was doing great. My A1C was down to 6.4. The doc finally had to write me a prescription for the Invokana, but my insurance called and said it wasn?t covered. I had to fork out over $300 for a month?s supply back last summer. I quickly asked for the Metformin. That was about all my insurance covered, anyway.

Since then, I have been on 500mg Metformin. The only way it doesn?t destroy my stomach is after a full meal, so I take it after lunch. I?ve done well with it up until about new year?s. Since then, I?ve had to work pretty hard at my diet, and my fasting BS is still 150. It?s been pretty frustrating. I had an appointment today, but....