Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would You Take Stans Back Right Now?

vCash
    Our program may never recover. We have the lowest men’s basketball attendance in the SEC.

vCash
    That?s an us problem more an howland problem. We finished 4th in the SEC last year.

vCash
    You guys don’t get it! We literally have the most basic and vanilla offense of any team in the SEC, and you wonder why our fans don’t attend home basketball games? Check out some of our offensive sets the next time we take the floor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Bc we had our most successful 10 year run ever under him and have been wandering in the wilderness for the 10 years since he left, and our program now has almost zero fan support whereas we had sold out arenas under stans.

All that said, I know stans is never coming back and I'm fine with that. This was just a thought exercise.
    But that doesn't mean our program would have that kind of success again. See Ron Polk II. That's what I don't get about those people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    But that doesn't mean our program would have that kind of success again. See Ron Polk II. That's what I don't get about those people.
    True. No guarantee for sure.

vCash
    True. No guarantee for sure.
    To me, it seems like what typically happens is when you bring back a successful coach it rarely works out and typically is worse.

It all seems to me like we MSU fans want to see something more exciting on offense- at least for football and basketball- but because we have a team that isn't oriented or maybe built for that we usually end up with a major growing pain when we make a hire like that. And then we lose and people are still pissed off. Of course some of those same people will come back and say "We shouldn't have ever switched to that offense" after wanting a change.

So it is what it is. At this point I expect Cohen to make a bad hire so I guess I've decided to go with the keep Howland and hope for a one and done tournament run with this group over a complete rebuild.

vCash
    We have to keep Howland as frustrating as it is until we know someone other than Cohen will make the basketball hire or Cohen is out the door.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    That?s an us problem more an howland problem. We finished 4th in the SEC last year.
    But still would have likely been outside of the NCAA tournament. Attendance for basketball when the program is mediocre will always be a challenge for MSU for several reasons. A lot of the older loyal and local MSU basketball fans have been alienated by the administration reseating policies trying to grab more money, plus the fact that many are still unhappy about the way the Stans firing went down. So that really hurts. Then, on top of that, we have the most remote fanbase in the SEC which is a real problem for basketball which has multiple games per week. So when our product is not that good, and every game is available to watch on TV or online, then why spend 4 or 5 hours roundtrip traveling back and forth to Starkville? Another problem is Howland has done literally nothing to try and engage with the students to get more of them to come to games. And, in Starkville, you really need students coming to games to have a decent weekday crowd. Yet, with all of that, I've still seen some really good Saturday crowds at the Hump during Howland's tenure when a big game was on tap, and unfortunately, we've lost nearly all of those. Unfortunately, that doesn't really inspire many folks to keep coming back.

vCash
    My apathy level is too high for basketball to even give a shit anymore.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I would take him back. The stans era of basketball was my favorite time a bulldog basketball fan. Other than the final 4 years, which I was too young to appreciate.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I would take him back. The stans era of basketball was my favorite time a bulldog basketball fan. Other than the final 4 years, which I was too young to appreciate.
    It would be tempting. I've been following MSU basketball and all sports since late 70s/early 80s. Stans certainly had a great run for about 10 years and probably the best stretch in MSU history. We have had some great teams over the years but nothing for many years like Stans did. The sequels are never as good as the first one.

Cohen has to go before the next hire is made. Cohen needs to go now and the next guy needs to start basketball searches - men and women and find a young energetic coach to bring us out of the rut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    It would be tempting. I've been following MSU basketball and all sports since late 70s/early 80s. Stans certainly had a great run for about 10 years and probably the best stretch in MSU history. We have had some great teams over the years but nothing for many years like Stans did. The sequels are never as good as the first one.

Cohen has to go before the next hire is made. Cohen needs to go now and the next guy needs to start basketball searches - men and women and find a young energetic coach to bring us out of the rut.
    Yea, while I would take Stans back I do realize that rehiring someone rarely ever works out well (see Polk II). But even the year we let Stans go, though the end of the year was disappointing, we were still a 1 seed in the NIT. I feel like the big mistake we made was not giving him one more year with Sidney out the door to see if he could get the program culture straightened out. I think we owed him that for all he had done for the program, including recruiting most of the players that got us in the 96 Final Four. The Hawaii scene was bad but Renardo was just a cancer on the program while here. Stans took a chance with him and it backfired but would have liked to have seen if he could have gotten things turned back around. Nobody we've ever had involved with MSU basketball has ever worked harder in the recruiting game than Stansbury.

vCash
    Instead of staying with Ben or rolling the dice on a replacement, would you take stans back today?
    I would keep Howland before going to Stans. They are pretty equivalent but Howland looks better now. If Howland is off the table, I would not rush to offer Stans. We certainly could do worse and I would go to Stans before hiring a nobody like we did with Rick Ray.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I would keep Howland before going to Stans. They are pretty equivalent but Howland looks better now. If Howland is off the table, I would not rush to offer Stans. We certainly could do worse and I would go to Stans before hiring a nobody like we did with Rick Ray.
    Agree, 100%. Imagine the energy Stans would bring to the hump. Although it would all be gone after the first time the team turns the ball over against a soft press.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Agree, 100%. Imagine the energy Stans would bring to the hump. Although it would all be gone after the first time the team turns the ball over against a soft press.
    Stans always had a PG that could handle a soft press. Plus Stans would throw the 1-3-1 trap out there , and it was effective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Stans always had a PG that could handle a soft press. Plus Stans would throw the 1-3-1 trap out there , and it was effective.
    Yall must not remember trying to watch a Stans team break a zone defense...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Yall must not remember trying to watch a Stans team break a zone defense...
    Howland has taught me that I only thought Stansbury's offense struggled against a zone. I didn't know how good we had it back then.