Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Significant ice storm to potentially unfold Monday

vCash
    Thundering and lightning while sleeting/snowing. Lovely.

vCash
    Only sleet here in the delta so far. Thank goodness. No ice accumulation on trees or lines.

vCash
    Here in Columbus it?s a balmy 30 degrees and our ice appears to be melting. Odd. I?m not sure if I should be hopeful that we missed it or that the thing hasn?t hit us yet.

vCash
    It's 27 here and it just poured down rain for about 30 minutes. This is some strange weather.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    It's 27 here and it just poured down rain for about 30 minutes. This is some strange weather.
    That's because 2,000 feet up the air is in the 50's right now.

vCash
    The ice storm here in '85 was the first and only time I've ever witnessed thunder with wintry weather. Of course, that ice storm was the storm of a century for parts of this area and NW Alabama. This will pale in comparison to that storm, which is good.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    That's because 2,000 feet up the air is in the 50's right now.
    Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. All I know is that everything is covered in ice. Now it rained a lot and it's 27 degrees and windy. That can't be a good thing.

vCash
    Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. All I know is that everything is covered in ice. Now it rained a lot and it's 27 degrees and windy. That can't be a good thing.
    Got your Generator fully gassed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Got your Generator fully gassed?
    Yep! Got plenty of gas and ran my generator the last 2 days to make sure.

vCash
    About 4 inches of Sleet and 16 degrees in Western Union County...

vCash
    Yep! Got plenty of gas and ran my generator the last 2 days to make sure.
    And you have it outside??

vCash
    So far all I've seen in Starkville is sleet. We may dodge the ice storm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    So far all I've seen in Starkville is sleet. We may dodge the ice storm.
    NE Webster County too. All sleet. 2-3" guessing. Barely can see grass. Roads were instantly covered yesterday with the sleet that fell.

Looks like we'll miss the ice storm thankfully. Unless something builds behind what's coming through now.

vCash
    Since it seems like Mississippi got more ice than sleet, im assuming the ice moved East into Alabama? The storm is heading my way so I?m hoping the low tracks further East so western PA gets snow. I?m used to that just don?t want bad sleet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    And you have it outside??
    Nah. I got it running in my living room. Lol. I kid I kid!!!!

vCash
    When you are flying and you start to Ice you always climb to get to warmer air. I've flown into unforecasted icing conditions and iced up faster than you can say ohshit. Climbed 500 ft and got out of it. Of course this was 30 years ago in an huey before all the nice crap was out. Rotary Wing AC and ice don't mix well/

vCash
    Not sure how that would be helpful. Mine would say Covington County Mississippi but I was talking about offshore helicopter flights.
    In general, it would be helpful. You see a lot of times a poster referring to "here" when most probably don't know where "here" is. It's not a forum requirement though, just an option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    The ice storm here in '85 was the first and only time I've ever witnessed thunder with wintry weather. Of course, that ice storm was the storm of a century for parts of this area and NW Alabama. This will pale in comparison to that storm, which is good.
    4 or 5 years ago we had some pretty heavy snow going on and there was quite a bit of thunder. In fact, that was the last decent snow we've had here. I think I had something like 9" on my car that was parked outside, but would have been more if done the official way to eliminate most of the packing. As always, amounts varied from place to place around the area. I can't remember if I heard thunder in '85 or not.

vCash
    They kept predicting ice here (winter storm warning, ice storm warning) but this afternoon we had pretty heavy rain but the temperature went up from about 30 to 37, so nothing froze. Don't know how much rain we had because my rain gauge is either frozen or has a twig keeping the bucket from tipping. Temp is dropping now that the precip has passed.

We had some very light icing this morning but it melted by noon when the rain started in earnest.

vCash
    On the Coast it doesn?t look like we have much of a chance of rain anymore. It showed about a 70% chance a few hours ago.