Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Significant ice storm to potentially unfold Monday

vCash
    Thanks for posting this........I was still in HS and living in NE MS at the time and we were in the eye of that storm......Where I lived, it was MUCH worse than the ice storm of '94.......We missed school for over a week......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Yep but you still have to get there. For example see Fort Worth
    Yea I just meant the field be covered in snow

vCash
    Well, unfortunately my wife has to work Monday all day. Essential worker so there's no calling in. I'll driver her and pick her up Monday night at 7:00 pm but I'm really dreading it. Gotta drive from Collins to Hattiesburg and back.

vCash
    StarkVegas and other Wx gurus. The UKMET is INSISTING on a yuge snow storm. Should we value what its saying or disregard as an outlier?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    StarkVegas and other Wx gurus. The UKMET is INSISTING on a yuge snow storm. Should we value what its saying or disregard as an outlier?
    For all but extreme NW MS I'm going with outlier. As it looks now the cold air is just too shallow to support snow for most of the state. Now if that changes, and I hope it does, then the UKMET will be where snowfall accumulations end up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    For all but extreme NW MS I'm going with outlier. As it looks now the cold air is just too shallow to support snow for most of the state. Now if that changes, and I hope it does, then the UKMET will be where snowfall accumulations end up.
    Any chance that can change or do you think it?s pretty clear this is going to be an ice event?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    The next incoming storm on wed/http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w4=sky&w5 =pop&w6=rh&w7=rain&w8=thunder&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11= sleet&AheadHour=0&&FcstType=digital&textField1=30. 4869&textField2=-89.0587&site=lixthrus is going to be another one to watch for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    I'm doubtful they're going to start that tournament on time. They've now revised the forecast here (DFW) to not get above freezing until Saturday. And the field may be covered in snow until then.
    Roads will be clear by Friday here unless forecast changes.

vCash
    Not sure where you live but from what I'm reading, this thing is all over the place. WTVA in Tupelo shows anywhere from 5-8 inches of snow and ice and the NWS is saying one inch. That's a huge difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Saltydog; 02-13-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Highway 82 in the Indianola area here. Any thoughts on what we may see? I just got a notice which changed forecast from Winter storm watch to Warning. Any thoughts what we are looking at in this area?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    Highway 82 in the Indianola area here. Any thoughts on what we may see? I just got a notice which changed forecast from Winter storm watch to Warning. Any thoughts what we are looking at in this area?
    https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...4#.YChb6C1h2b8

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I just got an alert for west central Mississippi and Monday with 6-8" of snow. Please tell me that's wrong!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    Official warning wording is up to 3" of snow and 0.5" of ice. However, for western MS the snow totals could be substantially more. All depends on how much deep layer cold air can work in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I just got an alert for west central Mississippi and Monday with 6-8" of snow. Please tell me that's wrong!
    Right now I would be thrilled with that. Vs the freezing rain/black ice projections.........

vCash
    I?m not a weather expert but I took some classes at state. It?s my understanding the further East the low tracks the more snow for MS and if it tracks further west it would be more rain or ice. I?m paying attention to this because in Southwest PA we are on the snow/ ice line. If it tracks east MS and my area get snow. If it tracks west are looking at an awful ice storm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    I?m not a weather expert but I took some classes at state. It?s my understanding the further East the low tracks the more snow for MS and if it tracks further west it would be more rain or ice. I?m paying attention to this because in Southwest PA we are on the snow/ ice line. If it tracks east MS and my area get snow. If it tracks west are looking at an awful ice storm
    All depends on the position of the low and how the cold air wraps around and how deep the cold air is. Right now the forecast is for a very shallow layer of cold air and once you get up a couple thousand feet the temp is in the 40's and 50's.

vCash
    My question is will I have to work Monday in Arlington driving from my home in Covington...

vCash
    As we draw nearer to the event I wish I could say the models were all coming into agreement on what to expect, but that's just not the case. As is often the case, they are struggling mightily to figure out the depth of the cold air. That's why some are calling for a major ice storm, some a major snow storm, and some in the middle.

Here are my $0.02.

It will be unholy balls cold...this isn't the technical term for it, but adequately describes the situation. Places north and west of the Natchez Trace will see lows in the mid single digits and sub zero wind chills. Highs may struggle to reach 20. East of the Trace lows will still hit the low teens and stay in the upper 20's for highs. Wind chills will approach zero. What is unknown is how deep this layer of cold air will be. Work models are indicating it will only be a couple thousand feet deep which will allow for more freezing rain... especially points east. Areas more towards the delta may see more of a sleet/snow mix and less freezing rain. However, recent trends have pushed the area of more substantial snow to cover more of the state and the heaviest freezing rain into AL. Just have to see how it plays out. Somewhere, a corridor of significant freezing rain is going to set up. Currently, that looks to be along and near the Trace where amounts ranging from 1/4" - 3/4" could be common with locally higher amounts. I don't have to tell you that will lead to impassable roads and widespread power outages. Snow/sleet accumulations in this area could reach 1-3". West of this line where it is more snow and sleet you could see snow/sleet accumulations in the range of 5-9" with higher amounts possible. Again, though...recent trends are trying to slide this all further east and if that happens you could see 4-8" snow/sleet into the golden triangle and the heaviest ice more from a Meridian to Gordo, AL, line. There's just no way to know right now where that will set up. Regardless, these temps will allow for maximum accumulation and ice accretion. Even an inch or two of snow/sleet and 0.1" of ice will turn roads into skating rinks. I would advise if you live north of Jackson to restrict travel Monday to only emergency or absolute necessity in nature. Ice covered roads, falling limbs and power lines will make travel extremely treacherous. This is shaping up to be a potential high impact event. If you still need to get out to get supplies I'd try to make that happen by noon tomorrow. Batteries, water, meds, candles, foods that don't need to be heated, charcoal, etc. Make the elderly you know are aware of what's possible and are prepared. The hardest hit areas, particularly with ice, may be a few days without power. Have your vehicles full of gas so you can use it to charge your phones. Don't do anything stupid like having generators indoors pumping out carbon monoxide. If you do use your car to charge your phone and the engine has to be running, make sure your garage door is at least open some to allow ventilation.

Oh, and keep an eye on next Wednesday. We may be doing all this over again then. Temps may be barely warm enough by then to mix in some rain, but that remains to be seen.

vCash
    You the man. Good info.

Bring your pets inside too.

vCash
    SVD, thanks for everything you do. Your info is invaluable.