Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miss. State vs Kentucky (Women's Basketball)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Don?t we have like 3 former McDonald AA?s on the roster? Lol. It?s insane how fast NMP has sunken this program. We?re what like 8-6 right now. Won?t be shocked at all if OM beats us Sunday. That?d be 5 straight losses and the first time OM had beaten us in FOREVER. We lost 1 person that really made an impact last season, Danberry. The other 2 that transferred weren?t getting significant minutes and had been pretty well passed over. So that ain?t an excuse. This roster was ready to be the usual contender, but 2nd fiddle to USCe but give them hail type of team and a for sure tourney team with maybe Elite 8-ish type potential. Now we might not even make the tourney lol.

Yeah if she can?t win with what she got now, she ain?t ever gonna win. It?s baaaddddd. When?s the last time we only had effort to brag on for the women?s team? And that?s just tonight. Tonight was the first time they actually hustled in forever to me. NMP ain?t it....idk who is at this point but give her next season & it?s gonna be JoMo 2019 season alllllllll over again where you know what?s coming but you play it out anyways and drag it out a little longer and it?s just agonizing.
    Thing is I saw way too much quit in too many players tonight. We still got a few players that want to win and fight but we got too many that just don't care, be the victim, walk down court, watch your man blow by you for an uncontested layup over and over. Folks will see how good Vic was as things go forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I was just stunned at the lack of off side help on defense. No fundamental what so ever on defense. The kicker was with less than 7 seconds before half, timeout by the Hogs. They come out in a wide 1-2-2 offensive set, ball is at the top of the key and girl makes a move and drives to middle of lane and lays it up. No help or attempt to stop the ball but that has been going on all season. It's shocking for me as an ex basketball Coach. After that, the second half time after time the Hogs played one on one and we couldn't defend anyone inside nor outside. Nikki needs to go for lack of fundamentals and no discipline with lack of effort! Talk about a lazy soft program, shocking!
    Agree. With less talent on a future team, we will be last in SEC - bookit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Agree. With less talent on a future team, we will be last in SEC - bookit.
    I just can't understand not stopping dribble penetration, it's the number one thing you work on in defensive drills. I remember way back in the mid 70's going to basketball camps around the country and working, the thing being emphasized was run and jump (defense) I see good defensive teams doing this and not so good teams not. You teach stop the ball dribble with forcing them into double coverage and off side help intercepts passes. We are awful on defense, we do have some shooters on outside but not getting the ball inside more often is a mystery again. I have no cluewhat we are trying to do on both ends of the court. Enough from me, I'm pretty much done watching this crap. Btw, one last thing, I have no clue who our assistants are but I see no coaching from the sidelines from them.

vCash
    Look I understand that most think Penson is a terrible coach, and her track record so far has proven that. But this team was setup for failure and you could see it last year. They didn't play hard on defense, they wouldn't hustle, hell Vic broke one of his cardinal sins and had to play zone because they were so poor on defense. I've been trying to preach it for two years but the program that we had was built on tough grinders who played elite defense. Mix in an AA center and a couple of 3 and D players and you had unprecedented success. However, Vic got away from that and started star chasing towards the end. Now, Vic is a good enough coach to be able to still scheme and make it look ok and still have some success. But any other coach not named Graves, Aureimma, Staley, or Welz isn't going to be able to do that. If you give this coach time she'll make it a respectable program that can put together a tourney run every 2-3 years. Once you gain elite status in WBB it's really hard to ever lose it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Look I understand that most think Penson is a terrible coach, and her track record so far has proven that. But this team was setup for failure and you could see it last year. They didn't play hard on defense, they wouldn't hustle, hell Vic broke one of his cardinal sins and had to play zone because they were so poor on defense. I've been trying to preach it for two years but the program that we had was built on tough grinders who played elite defense. Mix in an AA center and a couple of 3 and D players and you had unprecedented success. However, Vic got away from that and started star chasing towards the end. Now, Vic is a good enough coach to be able to still scheme and make it look ok and still have some success. But any other coach not named Graves, Aureimma, Staley, or Welz isn't going to be able to do that. If you give this coach time she'll make it a respectable program that can put together a tourney run every 2-3 years. Once you gain elite status in WBB it's really hard to ever lose it.
    Respectable? A tourney run Every 2-3 years?

Elite programs make a tourney run at least 4 out of 5 years. When she took over we were coming off a sweet 16, finals, finals, elite 8 from 2016-2019 and were going to be a top 2 or 3 seed sans covid. She took over a top 5 program and a top 10 team and it is a disaster.

I just hope we beat OM Sunday for the 14th straight time or it will get real ugly for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post

Elite programs make a tourney run at least 4 out of 5 years. When she took over we were coming off a sweet 16, finals, finals, elite 8 from 2016-2019 and were going to be a top 2 or 3 seed sans covid. She took over a top 5 program and a top 10 team and it is a disaster.

I just hope we beat OM Sunday for the 14th straight time or it will get real ugly for her.
    This team has talent... This team has no leadership..
    I don’t watch much woman’s hoops, but I would bet outside of USC and AM we have more talent top to bottom than any of the other teams in the league...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post

Elite was probably a bad word. Without Vic Schaefer you're not getting back to that level. Plain and Simple. I think respectable is something you can strive for. Just be a top 25 team year in and year out and try to make a run ever 2-3 years. However, I'm afraid our win streak over OM will come to an end on Sunday.

vCash
    Elite was probably a bad word. Without Vic Schaefer you're not getting back to that level. Plain and Simple. I think respectable is something you can strive for. Just be a top 25 team year in and year out and try to make a run ever 2-3 years. However, I'm afraid our win streak over OM will come to an end on Sunday.
    Yep. I fear the same.

vCash
    If they lose to Mississippi this weekend- a winning record for the season then becomes a problem. That would be a helluva fall.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Myah Taylor is the go to player offensively....right now. Best player on the team right now. Sidney Cooks hit a wall aftter the first first few games of the season. Same with JaMya-Mingo Young. Rickea Jackson hit a wall during the second half of the Kentucky game....basically hasn't completely recovered since. She appears to have regressed as the season has moved along. Jessika Carter appears to not be getting enough touches in the post. Could use more shot attempts from Aliyah Matharu. Also, the defense has struggled throughout the season. Good that they fought back in the Arkansas game, made a really close game of it going down the stretch. Keep your heads up..team didn't fold, just came up a little short.

New/newer players have opportunity to come into this program and gain a good bit of immediate playing time next season. Returning players will need to keep getting better..playing time is up for grabs as this season continues to move along, and going on into next season, .
    Last edited by jdelta02; 02-12-2021 at 11:11 PM.

vCash
    They've gotten better at the same time we've gotten worse. Could it be coaching? **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    If they lose to Mississippi this weekend- a winning record for the season then becomes a problem. That would be a helluva fall.
    I'm afraid it's coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Myah Taylor is the go to player offensively....right now. Best player on the team right now. Sidney Cooks hit a wall aftter the first first few games of the season. Same with JaMya-Mingo Young. Rickea Jackson hit a wall during the second half of the Kentucky game....basically hasn't completely recovered since. She appears to have regressed as the season has moved along. Jessika Carter appears to not be getting enough touches in the post. Could use more shot attempts from Aliyah Matharu. Also, the defense has struggled throughout the season. Good that they fought back in the Arkansas game, made a really close game of it going down the stretch.

New/newer players have opportunity to come into this program and gain a good bit of immediate playing time next season. Returning players will need to keep getting better..playing time is up for grabs as this season continues to move along, and going on into next season, .

Welp there will be plenty of opportunity for new players to come in next year - after all the coming tidal wave of transfers OUT.

Simply put, UMissy made a very good hire; we made a poor one. Their AD did his homework; ours did not.

vCash
    Saw this tonight..... Miss. State signee Jasmine Shavers with 40 points tonight in 3 quarters of action....Texas Class 6A Region 2 playoffs (district). Been posting on this board about this kid. She trained up a lot with former NBA guard standout Jason Terry. He has indicated in the past that she is the best shooter that he has ever coached. She's listed as a 5-10 guard, and is good on defense as well. Also, currently leads DFW (Dallas Fort Worth area) in scoring. Shavers can fill it up. Also, Coach McCray and staff have the Temple transfer Ashley Jones expected eligible...next season. She can fill it up as well....including being AAC NewcomerOf the Year last season. Can't overlook the other talent coming in as well. Also, the coaching staff has spoken on looking at transfers (including portal, juco's, ect) for the late signing period.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 02-13-2021 at 08:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by schddog72 View Post
    Welp there will be plenty of opportunity for new players to come in next year - after all the coming tidal wave of transfers OUT.

Simply put, UMissy made a very good hire; we made a poor one. Their AD did his homework; ours did not.
    Did they???
    Just looked at their record.. they are 3-7 in the league with a win over Aub who is 0-11... I agree the bar wasn’t set very high by the last staff there , but to say she is a VERY good hire is a little premature ..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Saw this tonight..... Miss. State signee Jasmine Shavers with 40 points tonight in 3 quarters of action....Texas Class 6A Region 2 playoffs (district). Been posting on this board about this kid. She trained up a lot with former NBA guard standout Jason Terry. He has indicated in the past that she is the best shooter that he has ever coached. She's listed as a 5-10 guard, and is good on defense as well. Also, currently leads DFW (Dallas Fort Worth area) in scoring. Shavers can fill it up. Also, Coach McCray and staff have the Temple transfer Ashley Jones expected eligible...next season. She can fill it up as well....including being AAC NewcomerOf the Year last season. Can't overlook the other talent coming in as well. Also, the coaching staff has spoken on looking at transfers (including portal, juco's, ect) for the late signing period.
    We're the 3rd transfer for the Temple kid. She's got issues.